>>>>

Monday, October 21, 2013

Meet Simon Haskins!

Disease is a terrible thing.

But in the face of hardship, fear and pain –come those who raise awareness and search for a way to make things better.

One such incredible person is Simon Haskins.


If you are involved in machine embroidery, you might be familiar with the name Jenny Haskins, who is well known for her elegant machine embroidery designs, found in quilts, patterns, books and magazines.

Simon is Jenny's son and also works in the family business, JennyHaskins.com

He writes:

My name is Simon Haskins and I was diagnosed with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukaemia in June of 2013. This is a very rare blood cancer that has a very long and difficult road to recovery. As part of my journey I would like to try and do something to raise awareness about blood cancers and money for The Leukaemia Foundation to support those with this horrible disease and hopefully we will one day have a cure.
My idea is for quilting and machine embroidery communities to help me with this project by making an 8″ x 8″ quilt block that will be used to make quilts which will then be auctioned to raise money or given to a child who has ALL.
The response that I have had so far has been overwhelming. So many people have jumped on board to make a quilt block, most people have made more than one block with some people making 20 blocks or more!
The awareness colour for Leukaemia is orange. So with that in mind I would like quilt blocks made in orange, with a splash of pink and yellow for good measure.
 
S4A #02
Simon surrounded by Sunshine 4 ALL blocks!

Anyone can be involved with Sunshine 4 ALL. I will be undergoing treatment for the next two to three years so we will have heaps of time to get this done and I am hoping that by end of my treatment we all will be able to celebrate my cure with an exhibition of all the finished quilts and raise money to find a cure for ALL.
Make sure you read the Guidelines page to get all the logistical information you need to make a block or two and participate in this amazing cause – Sunshine 4 ALL
I would like to express a HUGE MASSIVE thank you from me to everyone and anyone who becomes involved in Sunshine 4 ALL.
Make sure you mention this to your local sewing store or guild and we can really start to make a difference.
Pictures of finished blocks and quilts will be posted to the Gallery. So make sure you visit regularly to see what other people have made and maybe it will inspire you to make another block and contribute more to Sunshine 4 ALL.
Sunshine 4 ALL has been an incredible avenue of support to me as I battle ALL and undergo treatment and chemotherapy. On my very worst days Sunshine 4 ALL has helped me to smile and gain strength to continue and move forward towards the goal of being cured from this cancer and hopefully one day gaining the precious gift of a normal life.

You can also follow along on the Sunshine 4 ALL blog!  Lots of great ideas there if you aren’t sure WHAT kind of block you want to make or send in.

 
sunshine4allblocks2

Blocks from the Gallery!
 
Maybe you know someone who is dealing with Leukemia on a daily basis.  Maybe you just need a pick me up for yourself…did you know that making and giving can lift your own spirits?
 
Can you imagine what would happen if we all made ONE simple 8” X 8” block and filled Simon's mail box?
 
Remember to check the Guidelines page for more info and where to ship.

I did check, and the shipping address is in Australia, so I am really hoping our Australian friends will step up and join in.  It does not cost that much to send one block to Australia if you live elsewhere.
 
Thank you for sharing YOUR Sunshine with Sunshine 4 ALL!


Click Here to like our Quiltville Friends Page on Facebook for more fun!


5 comments:


  1. Bonnie, my local quilt store hosted a seminar by Simon shortly before he became ill. We have been making quilt blocks for him. I also machine embroidery and did a few blocks with blackwork birds. He is a very talented young man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Edith! I hope we can do more!

      Delete
    2. amazing young man...guess it shows we should never take one single day for granted...he is in my prayers...

      Delete
  2. Bonnie, thank you for doing a post about this. I can definitely get on-board the Sunshine 4 ALL wagon. I lost my daughter to ALL in 1997. Making blocks in her memory will be a wonderful project for me. I will be sharing this information with all the quilters I know. May our small efforts make a big difference for Simon and others fighting this battle!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My uncle passed away from ALL last year (has it only been that long?) My entire family has gotten behind the cause to find a cure for blood cancer and to raise awareness. I am currently doing the same thing here in the US; making a "donation" quilt and it is amazingly fulfilling. Kudos to you for supporting this incredible cause!

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)