>>>>

Sunday, October 06, 2013

A Pineapple Blossom Morning!

 Yesterday was such a wild and busy day --- two classes!  Pineapple Blossom in the Morning, a quick lunch – and then Playing with Jacks in the afternoon!

I felt like I was in some time warp or maybe “Ground Hog Day, the Quilters Version” in the afternoon…I left one class to go get lunch, and came back to all new faces!

There was pre-cutting involved so that we could get right down to sewing.  I love this quilt for being easier than it looks, and for teaching more about things like seam allowance.

If you sew the two shortest logs to the center square, the seam has to be right – so the next sizes logs will fit across the top and bottom ---you can’t go stretching that log, or whacking it off!  That top and bottom log will tell you everything you need to know.  If it is too short for your block, your first seams were too narrow.  if it is too long for your block – your seam needs a serious diet.  Fix the seam.  Find what you need to do to get the pieces to fit together easily.  It makes all the difference in the world.

And never ever ever trust a 1/4” foot until you sew and measure and see if your units are coming out the right size.

Peoria_IL2013 157

Double Sewing!

I taught my little trick about “Triangle Buddies” and drawing the second line so that the bonus triangles, which are used in the patchwork border come out already the size you need….Check the tips & techniques tab at the top of the blog for Bonus Triangles!  These squares we were adding were 3-1/2” – so our Triangle Buddies were cut at 3”.

Click the image below if the slide show doesn't play on your mobile device.
Pineapple Blossom, Peoria IL 2013

I am off to Houston via Atlanta today! I'll be spending the next few days with the Quilters in Huntsville and Bryan, Texas. I've got more photos from yesterday's afternoon class to edit and upload when I have a chance, so be looking forward to those. Also -- when I get checked in tonight I'll be drawing for the winner of Quiltmaker Magazine's November/December issue! Did you enter HERE?

Thank you Peoria!  It's been a ton of fun!


Click Here to like our Quiltville Friends Page on Facebook for more fun!

3 comments:

  1. Hi !! I like it !! It`s very cool !! I am Cristina. I`m from Brazil !! kisses !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Bonnie...there is some piecing going on another you ;). Wonderful photos of fun gals and terrific quilt projects.

    Have fun
    Smiles
    JulieinTN

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love those triangle buddies, and the classes too. Thanks so much. Rozanna

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)