>>>>

Saturday, August 09, 2014

When New Old Friends Meet in Bath!

20140806_182842
Meet Julia, Dawn and Dawn’s daughter Bekah ---

These sweet ladies came to meet me for dinner and a  “how do you do?” while we were staying in Bath.

Julia was the first one to suggest a meet up ---she lives right there in Bath!

Dawn, Julia’s friend lives a few hours away, and came down for the weekend, stopping in Bath to join us before heading to the Festival of Quilts in Birmingham with her daughter.


Wednesday night was a free night for us all – we were on our own to do what we wanted, and this was JUST what I wanted!

Check out the lovely blocks made by Dawn on the table….English Paper Piecing can be done in any size, anywhere.  Dawn is often found working on these while on the train….public displays of English Paper Piecing are quite proper, you know?  I love them.  I love the classic block pattern, the positive/negative layout and the red and white is so divine!

dinnergirls1

Dawn, Brenda, Me, Julia and Muv!

We were also joined by Muv, other wise known as Lizzie Lenard, The vintage machine aficionado whose YouTube videos taught me to treadle and how to wind a shuttle bobbin and all other manner of good vintage stuff.  I finally got to see the face behind the voice and the treadling feet!

Funny funny story….We are all sitting around the lovely table you see here, and our waitress asks us all where we are from.

She gets to me and I say “North Carolina.”

She says, “Really? WHERE in North Carolina?  I’m from GREENSBORO!!”

I broke out in gales of laughter ---Greensboro is where I fly out of, it’s about a 15 minute drive from my house to Greensboro.  I had to come all the way to Bath, UK to be served by a girl from Greensboro.

How fun!

I also want to share with you the lovely lovely tea cozy made by our Lizzie Lenard aka Muv:

20140809_193838

How CUTE is this?!?

The fabrics are Oakshott Cotton, lovely lovely ---shot cottons have one color as the warp, and a second color as the weft, giving the fabric a different look depending on how you hold it.  ((Think of the two kinds of threads used in oxford cloth, that will give you a good idea))

The browns you see ---well, that is Muv’s attempt at TRYING to present me with a fabric that was still too ugly no matter how small I cut it.  I still think she failed, these are not that ugly at all, and just wait and see where I use them!

20140809_193850

See this quilting detail?

It’s FREE MOTION TREADLED!

Visit Margaret’s post HERE to see a video of her doing the free motion quilting on the treadle for this tea cozy.  I wanted to embed it here, but wasn’t able to do so, but you can see the video there.

20140809_193923

LOVE IT!

I can’t wait to get it home and use it to keep my tea pot all nice and toasty.  Thank you SEW MUCH, Muv!

This is a short post this evening.  For the second year in a row, I’ve found myself sunburned across the pond.

Last year I got fried on Ireland's Cliffs of Moher ---most people can’t even SEE the cliffs due to the rain and the cloud cover.

This year, it has been sunny nearly every day and I’ve been happily running around in capris….with no sun screen.  I didn’t think I needed it at just 70+ degrees.

Silly me.  My calves and shins are fried from the top of my socks to where the hem of my capris fall.

I’m off to soak in a nice tub and tuck in early to bed between cool sheets tonight --- I think it was the day at Warwick Castle yesterday that did me in.

Tomorrow is our last day of the Festival…our long journeys home begin on Monday.  I’ll be spending Monday night in New York and will fly the rest of the way home on Tuesday.

Good thing…..I’m just about out of clean knickers!

Love from Birmingham --

Click Here to like our Quiltville Friends Page on Facebook for more fun!

Click Here to join our sister group, Quiltville's Open Studio on Facebook, a place to Sew, Share & Grow!!

6 comments:

  1. Great posting of all the fun stuff you are doing in Jolly ol England. - Meeting New/Old friends is FUN. I love meeting the people I meet on line in Person. I chuckled when I read Knickers...LOL
    Travel home safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it wonderful to meet fellow quilters from the place you visit? Looks like a nice group of ladies. And I agree, I didn't see any ugly fabrics!

    Smiles, JulieinTN

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look out for Quilter's Dream at FoQ tomorrow (F47) - their bunting might be just what you need!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for taking me along with you to England. I've had such fun following your travels, since I couldn't go along with you! Enjoy the rest of your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The wine always tastes so good with my friends from the UK.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's a small world after all... ;o)

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)