>>>>

Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Gardens, Peacocks & Castle Walls!

20140808_100533
During our stay in Stratford-upon-Avon, we took a day trip out to Warwick Castle.

I’d heard from so many that it was a spot not to be missed, and I think half of the entire United Kingdom agreed and came along for the day!

The crowds were wild this day, and the day was hot….but the gardens were lovely, the castle itself imposing and majestic and we made a day out of it.

I was wishing all along I’d thought like the British and carried in my picnic quilt to spread out on the grass with a home packed lunch to share!


20140808_095646

Let’s Go In!

My group in the courtyard with the early morning sunlight streaming ---don’t we look like we should have an angelic choir singing over our heads!  Ta Da!!!

20140808_101612

English Gardens are legendary with good reason!

20140808_102250

Can you smell it?  Superb!

20140808_103242

Walk ways lead around the castle and each view is just stunning.

20140808_103039

While walking around, don’t forget to look UP!

20140808_103327

And even better! You can go inside!

20140808_101100

Just be careful or you might find yourself in the stocks!

20140808_103917

Or be put to work as a chimney sweep!

((I love “Head in a Hole” Boards!))

20140808_130915

Imagine what it was like to live here in the 1700s!

20140808_104520

Do I want to be the wife of a butcher, or of a highway guard?

20140808_120554

With my luck, I’d end up as the upstairs maid…but hey, there are hexagon tiles on the wall!

20140808_105013

Conservatory gardens!

20140808_130437

I think I disturbed his nap!

We had a great time….and the photos below are in no certain order as we went from thing to thing to thing as our whims took us on this day.  We even did a dungeon tour---creepy.

Warwick Castle dates back to the 11th century and has an interesting history all the way through the Victorian era.  Click HERE to learn more.

Warwick

Click the image below if you are unable to view the slide show on your mobile device.  You’ll be taken to the photo album for viewing.
Warwick Castle, UK 2014


In real time:  I arrived in NYC last evening, getting to my hotel at what was close to 2am UK time.  KNACKERED!  I fell to sleep straight away, but of course....body alarm goes off 7 hours later, and I'm up at 4am.  It's going to be a long day, but I'll be home in Greensboro by this afternoon!


Click Here to like our Quiltville Friends Page on Facebook for more fun!

Click Here to join our sister group, Quiltville's Open Studio on Facebook, a place to Sew, Share & Grow!!

16 comments:

  1. Good morning early bird!! The castle and gardens look beautiful and like a fun time too. Safe travels as you head on home today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Warwick Castle was one of my favorities when I visited England. I was there over 20 years ago now. We climbed the tiny stairs in one of the towers. Fun. I'd love to go back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been wanting to tell you since you did it, that I like your new haircut. Very flattering!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous8:58 AM EDT

    Thanks Bonnie for all the wonderful pictures, I'll have to study up on Warwick Castle. I was up at 4:45 WI time, too early. I'll have a nap later. Again thanks for excellent reporting of you trip.
    Jean Farley in WI

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome back to USA. Thank you so much for taking us on your trip I enjoyed my ride. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nasty weather here in VA today, raining and coldish. You had such glorious weather in England and will now come back to English weather!! Hope you have a safe trip home and thank you for sharing your trip. This is the only way I will get to see England but I am tired just keeping up with your travels! Hope your sunburn is better.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great pictures, just love the lace cap hydrangeas. By the time you read this, you will probably be home. So glad you had a good and safe trip. BTW, just won a lovely featherweight on Ebay. I am so thrilled.
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing and gorgeous photos!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Unbelievable! Aren't these castle a wonder to behold! Imagine back in those days .. all of the people, animals etc around... WOWOW

    Thanks for the memories, as Bob Hope used to sing.
    Smiles,
    JulieinTN

    ReplyDelete
  10. You timed your trip perfectly - we've had some horrendous thunder storms and torrential rain since you left...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, Bonnie! You are the Queen of Quilting so I love the board/photo of you as the queen!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Bonnie, you are making me "home" sick for England. I was lucky enough to live just outside London for three years. Saw almost all you were able to see. Thank you for taking the time in your busy schedule for all the photos and memories.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks, Bonnie. I have really enjoyed following your group through your London excursion, and seeing the sights I have read about. Those gardens in today's post have inspired me to make a quilt in the lovely shades of rose and purple you have captured.
    Maybe inspiration for this year's mystery quilt?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks so much for sharing your trip, wish I had been able to come as planned. It looked fabulous. Maybe next time I'll be able to come.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful, I have enjoyed your trip almost as much as you have. I know you are glad to be home. But, oh what memories !!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful gardens and pictures Bonnie, thanks for sharing with us all. And your haircut looks fabulous!
    Thanks for the armchair tour, I'm happy to hear you are home safe and sound.

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)