>>>>

Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Shakespeare, from Beginning to End!

20140808_174637
This humble house is the birthplace of William Shakespeare!

His exact birth date is unknown, but he was baptized in Stratford-upon-Avon on April 26, 1564.  Which means this house has been standing since before 1564.

He was 52 when he passed away, also in Stratford-upon-Avon, the same age that I am at the moment I am typing this post.

Not long enough of a life, not nearly long enough to see it all and do it all!

But I suppose for the time that he lived – 52 may have been an average life span.

He married Anne Hathaway when he was 18, and together they had 3 children, two of whom were twins.

All I knew about Shakespeare I learned in high school drama classes.  I never really stopped much to consider the life of the man who wrote such things as “A Midsummer Nights Dream” “Romeo and Juliet”  or “Othello” or “King Lear” or any of the other plays and sonnets for which he is famous ---

I was a teenager at the time I was exposed to his work and I’m sure we all thought it was dorky – or that we would look dorky portraying it, but I wish I had paid more attention then!

20140807_152238-001

Shakespeare was baptized and buried here, in Holy Trinity Church.

And yes, the trees are too close to the church to get a good photo!

20140807_150153

But it is such a beautiful spot!

20140807_150106

Yes, more headstones, what can I say!?

20140807_150139

It’s kind of a church-yardy thing to do!

20140807_150213

Holy Trinity Steeple

20140807_150431

Inside, heading up toward Shakespeare’s grave.

20140807_150458

But hark! Lo! What’s this?

((forsooth!??))

Needle point kneelers they be!

((Yes, I am putting on my best Shakespearean!))

20140807_150524

All invoking earthly elements, they dost!

Stars & Wind &:

20140807_150538

Atoms??

20140807_150551

Heavens Above!

20140807_150606

And Frost & Cold below

((which I am sure it is on these cold stone floors in the winter without kneelers!))

I asked a lady about the kneelers and she said they were all done by the congregation for one of the church’s big anniversaries and all were stitched by the needlework guild.  This I could get in to!

20140807_150748

Beautiful bench cushions, each with a different saying.

((Alas!!))

20140807_150756

I probably have these out of order.

20140807_150854

Drawing closer to the crowd in the chancel.

((Come hither, come thither!))

20140807_150823

Wow, this is some really great architecture!

20140807_150900

Lovely!

There are Twenty-six, 15th century misericord seats in the chancel, with religious, secular and mythical carvings…they don’t look like seats, more like a little shelf that you could lean on if you were expected to stand for long periods of time.

20140807_151337

Shakespeare's monument on the wall to the left.

20140807_151004

RIP, William Shakespeare!

20140807_151019

His wife Anne is by his side and other family members as well.

20140807_151049

William Shakespeare was baptized in this font.

For a man who is so remembered 500 years later as the greatest poet and playwright of all-time, how is this for a visual – to be buried a meer 15 feet from where you were baptized as an infant.  Full circle.

20140807_151119

Other memorials.

20140807_151316

The bible belonging to the church that Shakespeare would have read from.

20140807_151403

From the chancel looking back at the entrance ---

20140807_151519

Found in an alcove --

This marker has nothing to do with Shakespeare, I just loved the hand-hewn nature of it and the words!  Biggie size it on your monitor if you can to read it…

As always, I love the history.  No matter the number of centuries that have passed, I feel a connection to the “sameness” of the human spirit and the common things we strive for in our lives.  A comfortable place to live.  Family to love and care for.  Friends to laugh with.  Food not only for our bellies, but for the pleasure of taste.  A hobby to keep my hands busy, always striving to beautify.  Hope for grandchildren and future generations who will live on beyond me.  A long life and a comfortable old age.

Sometimes we get it, sometimes we don’t –but I don’t think these things are too far fetched from what folks dreamed about in Shakespeare’s life time.

It was a great visit, Stratford-upon-Avon!  You are the caretaker of many jewels of great worth!


Click Here to like our Quiltville Friends Page on Facebook for more fun!

Click Here to join our sister group, Quiltville's Open Studio on Facebook, a place to Sew, Share & Grow!!

11 comments:

  1. That was really fascinating! I was surprised to see his burial so close to the alter. And I loved the inscription about the wool draper. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed your visit to England so much. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. We grew up in the same era. I thought Shakespeare was a bit dorky too. The movie Romeo and Juliet came out when I was a Junior though and I LOVED it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:48 PM EDT

    Wow! Thanks so much for sharing! You are enabling me to see so many wonderful things; I really do appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous2:01 AM EDT

    I truly enjoy all of the photo's from the trips you sponsor.
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad that you loved England..come back again soon. I was hoping to see you at the NEC but we went on Friday. such a great exhibition.

    Helena Dx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post Bonnie. I almost feel like I traveled along with you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You were indeed fortunate to have such glorious weather while you were in England! I've enjoyed your trip. We lived in England for 3 years in the 70's and just loved every minute. Ready to go back.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Would have loved to see you at the NEC but we went on Sunday. Would love to have you teach there - have put your name forward to the organisers

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bonnie, this from Wikipedia, "Draper was originally a term for a retailer or wholesaler of cloth that was mainly for clothing. A draper may additionally operate as a cloth merchant or a haberdasher"

    Happy you picked a 'fabric merchant' to memorialize.

    Linda in Naples

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very cool! My thesis was on American Sign Language Productions of Shakespseare--no one had ever compiled a list before--so this post is extra special to me! Love all things Shakespeare!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looking at how long the house has stood I am amazed. Because here in Portland, OR, in my neighborhood. People are buying old homes and razing them to build new and fancy. Some are less than 100 years old, mine is 102. I guess not everyone loves history or what it takes to preserve it. It is encouraging to see that some still do.

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)