>>>>

Thursday, August 21, 2014

Quilts that aren’t Quilts!

matisse6
Does this look like a modern quilt to you?

Well, it could be….only the shapes are cut from painted bits of paper.

This is the work of Henri Matisse, and these photos are shared with us by Stephen in London ---I thank him for sending them because I’d not seen these works before and the whole concept is fascinating!

Words from Tate.org regarding this exhibit:


matisse2

In his late sixties, when ill health first prevented Matisse from painting, he began to cut into painted paper with scissors to make drafts for a number of commissions.
 
matisse1
 
In time, Matisse chose cut-outs over painting: he had invented a new medium.
 
matisse3
 
From snowflowers to dancers, circus scenes and a famous snail, the exhibition showcases a dazzling array of 120 works made between 1936 and 1954.
 
matisse5
 
Bold, exuberant and often large in scale, the cut-outs have an engaging simplicity coupled with incredible creative sophistication.
How similar is this to fusible applique, for instance?  What ingenuity!
 
matisse4
 
Stephen writes about the exhibit:
 
Yesterday I visited a superb exhibition of Henri Matisse's Cut-Outs - he was not well enough to paint much in the last 12 years of his life, so worked out a less strenuous way to create, cutting shapes from painted sheets of paper.  He also came from a family of FABRIC DESIGNERS, so the ideas are really relevant. 

The Palette picture just shows a bunch of little scraps from the floor, collected to show what he used - doesn't it look modern for a guy who died 60 years ago?  The Window Marquette shows how a varied/scrappy background really helps bring a design alive and the Bees panel is just crying out to become a quilt of some sort!  Ivy is in there to feed your cheddar addiction and any others are just for fun - enjoy!

Best wishes,
Stephen

I wish I could have seen these in person! Maybe in my own way I am channeling my own inner Matisse with all the bits and scraps that I was working with this morning! ((See this morning’s blog post HERE)) 

I wonder if Henri Matisse had any quilters in his family?

Thanks for sharing the photos AND the inspiration, Stephen!


Sadie sleeps while mama sews!

Things are going swimmingly here at Quilt Villa….deep into production, repetitive sewing is soothing in its own way when I can take it at my own pace.  I should be ready to assemble BLOCKS for the Mystery by Saturday, I should have ALL the individual units done by the time I leave tomorrow…Hooray!!

And I know it’s  a mean tease to talk about it…but I know you are going to love this one….oh yes you are!

About to take Ms Sadie for an evening walk before coming back to sew some more….I’ve set the laptop up where I’m working and I’ve been watching back to back episodes of Foyle’s War.

Yes, after being in England for 10 days I can’t get enough of all things British!

Have a great evening, Everyone!


Click Here to like our Quiltville Friends Page on Facebook for more fun!

Click Here to join our sister group, Quiltville's Open Studio on Facebook, a place to Sew, Share & Grow!!






9 comments:

  1. Wow that is something we never came across in art class at school. Very impressive - especially the second photo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a newish quilter so this will be my first Mystery Quilt, and I can't wait. Tease away - I love it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that picture of Sweet Miss Sadie sleeping on the quilt!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:13 PM EDT

    I absolutely loved Foyle's War!! Along with quilting and your friend Sadie what more could you want???? (besides a resident chef...) Carolyn Barnett

    ReplyDelete
  5. Funny, I have spent the last two days of television watching rewatching Foyle's War. Such a good show. The Brits really do 'good tv'. I noticed several sewing machines in the episodes. My golden slept all afternoon while I finished the binding on a quilt. But no tv while sewing, I watch instead of sewing. I just enjoy the quiet and stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so tickled to see your Sadie girl all calmly snug and happy... you can see it on her sweet face. Mom is home, and all is right with the world!

    So looking forward to the new Mystery quilt! Sorry friend, you can easily stow Matiasse away... not very impressed. IMHO...ouchie

    Smiles, JulieinTN

    ReplyDelete
  7. Art museums are great places to find design inspiration. I found several ideas last week at the Belton Museum of Art in Austin TX.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have always admired the Matisse "cut outs" and have often thought that I would like to use the designs to do a quilt some day. Thanks for sharing these.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How wonderful to see this post! I have a picture of one of Matisse's cutout designs that I always thought would make a great quilt. The picture was in a newspaper article from years ago but looking at it now, I realize that the design which has a lot of open space and bright colors on a white background would fall right into the "modern quilt" category today.

    I love how other art mediums can inspire quilting and vice versa.

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)