>>>>

Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Las Colchas Quilt Shop!

SanAntonio_TX2014 084
Welcome to the cutest little Quilt Shop in Texas!

Las Colchas is in a wonderfully rambling Sears & Roebuck kit house built in the 1920s.

Did you know you could order a house from Sears back in the day?  Shipped via railroad boxcars, these kits included all the materials needed to build a house. Many were assembled by the new homeowner and friends, relatives, and neighbors!

Wandering through the many rooms and sections of Las Colchas, I wondered about the families who had lived here when this house was built.  It’s wonderful to see it standing today, almost 100 years later, with happy quilters coming in with smiles, and leaving with happy packages and dreams for future projects.

SanAntonio_TX2014 085

The owner and staff, working on projects in the dining room!

SanAntonio_TX2014 086

Bolts of color and inspiration frame tall windows and taller ceilings.

SanAntonio_TX2014 087

Samples are plentiful and call out “MAKE ME!”

SanAntonio_TX2014 089

There is something to beckon at every turn!

SanAntonio_TX2014 091

Threads and flosses in cotton, silk and wool ---

SanAntonio_TX2014 094

Beautiful displays and sew much to discover!

SanAntonio_TX2014 099

Dia de los Muertos fabric!  It’s San Antonio, after all!

SanAntonio_TX2014 100

Remember those “if it fits it ships” priority boxes are your friend!

SanAntonio_TX2014 101

There are collections in every room, so be sure to give yourself ample time to browse!

SanAntonio_TX2014 102

There is something for every quilter at Las Colchas!

SanAntonio_TX2014 112

I loved this jar of old wooden spools, but there was no getting it home!

SanAntonio_TX2014 110

If you are in the San Antonio area, make a plan to visit Las Colchas!

SanAntonio_TX2014 083

Visit their website HERE for more info.

I had a great time wandering the shop and chatting to the fun staff and I know you will too!

And a funny:

SanAntonio_TX2014 082

I took this photo while Irene and I were at a stoplight --- RENT A WIFE!!  Both of us agreed we’d like to each rent a wife – to do all the cooking and cleaning and laundry and grocery shopping and errand running so that we could spend more time piecing at the sewing machine ---what a hoot!

Today is for gathering my wits, unpacking suitcases, getting mail order out and getting caught up.

Tomorrow night I’m setting aside for a possible Quilt-Cam as I hope to get in some machine time by then – I’ve got a baby quilt to make for my sister who is due with a GIRL in June!  YAY! We get to sew pink –so that’s on the agenda.  I will let you know as time gets closer if that is actually going to work or not.

Friday we are planning an escape to Quilt Villa.  It’s been nearly a month since I’ve been up at the cabin, and I’m longing for it.  It’s been a really busy bustling 2.5 weeks on the road and I need some decompress and recoup time.

Yes, It’s GOOD to be HOME!


Click Here to like our Quiltville Friends Page on Facebook for more fun!
You do not need a Facebook account to read the Facebook posts - They are viewable to all! Feel free to read & quilt along with us!

26 comments:

  1. Tina in NJ7:36 AM EST

    If my memory is correct, President Nixon's father built a Sears kit house out in California (Loma Linda?) when the prez was a child.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you got home safely. Take some precious time out to recharge your batteries, especially at the cabin. Happy sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY - Bonnie is home at last! I hope you do get to escape to Quilt Villa this weekend for some quality time with your DH & your treadle machine. Will be waiting for the next Quilt Cam , whenever you can fit it into your schedule.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know of four Sears houses within three blocks of my home. They were very popular in Central Illinois and most were of craftsman design....beautiful homes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My sister -in- law and her family live in one less than a mile from me. We lived in one when I was a child. My SIL and I joke about living in kit houses. Mines a log home.

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a darling shop!!! if I lived there it would be my favorite! my favorite is closing here so I will need another ...you arent kidding when you say the quilts scream make me!!! I love the nine patch one! :-) glad you had a fun busy several weeks--I sure miss you already--I have been busy cutting and sewing on Playing with Jacks and my (brown) heaven! thank you again for coming out this way...one thing off bucket list :-) hope you make it to Quilt Villa---I will look forward to it

    ReplyDelete
  7. that quilt shop looks really cute and nice to see these old homes being used! have fun resting at the cabin

    ReplyDelete
  8. Our son and daughter-in-law live in San Marcos, just up the road from San Antonio. You can bet this will be one of our stops when we visit in April! It looks so inviting. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Las Colchas is a terrific quilt shop--I was fortunate to visit there on bus tour last fall. Very close to the Riverwalk area, well worth the trip! Thanks for the memories.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I NEED to go to Las Colchas!!!!!
    I am replenishing my Day of the Dead Fabric, even though I said I was quitting. Heehee. It's an obsession.

    ReplyDelete
  11. would love a quilt cam thursday but if you need to chill, will understand perfectly! can almost hear the "aaahhh" in your post...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Isn't Las Colchas the CUTEST place?! I went there a few years ago with some friends and now I must go back!! HA Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I went to that shop when I was in San Antonio for a conference last year. Love it! I enjoy being on their mailing list also. I saw the Aunt Grace quilt on display and bought a suitcase full of 30s reproduction fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks like a great shop! Warm, homey! Checking their website!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am going to San Antonio this weekend! Whoop Whoop!! Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a cute shop! Wish I could visit. My in-laws home is a Sears kit house...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous12:55 PM EST

    Hi Bonnie,
    Glad you are home and safe. I love all the pictures and stories you share. It's as if I traveled right along with you. I saw the "Quilt Show" previews. You looked great-the blue sweater set was the perfect choice for you. Alex and Ricky are a hoot, don't you think? I met them briefly a while back. Lots of laughs! Looking forward to quiltcam soon.
    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  18. Las Colchas is one of my favorite shops. I always set aside a lot of money on shop hop day to spend there. They are so friendly and have such luscious samples. I usually go home with at least a kit or two!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Glad you are home safely. Relax. I visited that shop many times will living in the SA area! Great shop and people!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Welcome back home! We have many of the Sears houses here in the Twin Cities.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  22. My son lives in a house that started as a Sears house. It was built by his wife's great grandparents. You can still pick out original elements from the kit.

    ReplyDelete
  23. My son lives in a house that started as a Sears house. It was built by his wife's great grandparents. You can still pick out original elements from the kit.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love Las Colchas. When I was there I was greeted at the door by an employee who, it turns out, lived for years within 10 miles of me in Dayton, OH. I left lots of money behind, but I took home lots of goodies including a kit for a nativity project shown in one of your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Anonymous8:18 AM EST

    My friend has Colchas on her license plate - she had it here in NC and now that she's in OH - she has it up there also.

    ReplyDelete
  26. This really is a charming LQS. Did you notice, you have to give those rent-a wife people a RING!!!!! That's when I started being a wife 44 years ago, AFTER I got the ring! You really do have to spend more than 1 day downtown San Antonio as there is so much to see & do, and you do need to take time out to eat!

    Don't worry, Bonnie, there is always next March!!! CAn't wait.

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)