>>>>

Thursday, December 05, 2013

When I Should Be Packing ----

CelticSolstice 101
I was off BROWSING!!
The DH and I are looking for end tables for the couch in the family room at the cabin.

There is an outlet sort of place not far from where we live that has some pretty nice stuff and great bargains – so we started there.

And left empty handed.

He went one way, and I went the other on the way to my afternoon massage.  I had time to kill and so I swung by my fave antique mall in the area which was right on the way, just to fill some time and browse.

And before you get the wrong idea – NO!!  This machine did NOT come home with me!

At first all I could see was the cabinet, which looked in very good shape, with a price that was “not bad” depending on the condition of the machine inside.  But the top of the cabinet was closed, the machine invisible, and the whole thing was piled high with dishes and other fragile nicknacks and dust catchers.  What’s a girl to do?

Move everything to the floor so she can take a peek, that’s what!  ((Can you see the dishes on the floor in the photo? Don’t worry, I put them back!))

CelticSolstice 102

Cleaned up, this would be a lovely machine!

It’s a Singer 66 with Red Eye decals, probably from the late 19-teens to the early 1920s.  It moves freely…and the missing bobbin cover plate is in the drawer, so all is present and accounted for, even the manual.  They are asking $135, which is not a bad price for a nice machine where no major parts are missing.  The decals are mostly intact with just a bit of wear in front of the needle – which just shows this machine was loved and used!  There is NO PIN RASH on the arm…bonus!

Anyone close to Winston Salem?  This is in the “Lost in Time” Antiques Mall on Peters Creek Parkway.

CelticSolstice 097

I spied a huge basket quilt!

The quilt wasn’t huge..but the baskets were!

CelticSolstice 098

I’m guessing 1940s on this one…they are so folksy and funky!

CelticSolstice 099

Love this combo with the plaids going in every which direction—and no borders..the sashing just ENDS at the edge making the blocks on the outside edge look like they could just fall off the edge.

CelticSolstice 100

Chambray backing – machine stitched down to the front as binding.  Aren’t those wild polka dots fun?

No quilts came home with me either….but I turned a corner, and look what I found:

CelticSolstice 103

Spool Cabinet Table!!

THIS, my friends came home with me!  Merry Christmas to myself –I need a bedside table between the two twin beds in the upstairs guest room at the cabin.  This is perfect ---for the quilt friends and family who will come stay!  Spool cabinets are getting harder and harder to find, and prices are soaring.  The last one I found was $795.00 in Texas.  This one (It’s all one piece – spool cabinet, table, and the attached bottom drawer thing on the shelf – that’s permanently affixed and part of the whole –was marked $200.00  It’s got all original hardware, and dovetailed drawer joints.  LOVE IT!

I also found something that might work for one end of the couch ---but it doesn’t have a match to it.  And I have a feeling I will be the ONLY one who loves it so:

CelticSolstice 105

Look at this pot bellied end table!

CelticSolstice 106

Those knobs are actually doggie heads!

CelticSolstice 107

The bottom drawer is divided, and tin lined.

What would you put in here?

CelticSolstice 108

And this little shelf slides out!

It’s drop leaf on both sides, so the table could extend out for playing cards or something?  ((See first photo))

I’m torn on this one.  I love it ---but I’m afraid I’ll be the only one who will and we will end up with some “new” end table with no character.  What’s a girl to do?

If it’s still there when I get back from Germany I’m going to look at it again!

I’m finishing up the last of the details for tomorrow’s Celtic Solstice Clue #2 to go live.  Are you ready?  I’ll be out the door early, but it’s set to go on schedule!  I hope you enjoy it!

Have a great evening, everyone!


Click Here to like our Quiltville Friends Page on Facebook for more fun!
You do not need a Facebook account to read the Facebook posts - They are viewable to all! Feel free to read & quilt along with us!

44 comments:

  1. That is a baker's table. The drawer held flour and sugar. The drop leaf was extra counter like space. The top of the cabinet was where many would knead their bread. It stood beside the stove when cupboards were to expensive to purchase. This is a real neat piece. Your spool cabinet is also really neat. I worked in a fabric store and the silk threads and buttonhole twist were held in them. Brings back memories. Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that's a pretty cool pot-bellied table! I've never seen one before - what did the rounded drawer hold, do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks like a baking table. Flour and sugar in the bottom drawer and the top to roll out pie crust or cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous7:03 PM EST

    Bakers table what a find

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like them both!! If the baker's table is still there when you get back, I hope it goes home with you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bonnie, for the price of a speeding ticket you can buy an end table. lol Love your quilt-cams and blogs, will be doing the mystery. Enjoy your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous7:09 PM EST

    I always say"why do they need to match?" Different is always more interesting, in my book anyway! I say buy it because it has so much character! You will find another with a similar size that will look great on the other end!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes I am ready for clue #2. They just cancelled school tomorrow. Nothing better than sewing on a snow day! Tanya in Springfield MO

    ReplyDelete
  9. I live the potbellied table. Like you, I was the only one that appreciates the old stuff. My husband passed away and I an trying to figure out what to do with a new bedroom set that he loved... I think I will spread out through out my next house and mix it in with the old that I prefer... I don't want to get rid of it, we spent waaayy too much money for it! I have a treadle that we use as an end table in the living room.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That spool table is GORGEOUS!!! Happy Christmas to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have never seen a bakers table but all I could think that would go in the bottom
    was flour just like my old Hoosier. I wonder if it is meant to be yours?
    Time will tell........enjoy that great thread table find......it is sweet.

    Safe travels and Happy Sewing

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous7:23 PM EST

    The "pot bellied" table looks like a side cabinet for a kitchen. The tin-lined sections would have been storage for flour and sugar.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love both of the tables! Have fun in Germany - looking forward to seeing your photos to bring back memories of my time there.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the tables! I love reading about your antique shopping trips, I love checking out antique stores too. I finished step one, I'm doing the small quilt, looking forward to tomorrow, I'm having fun doing my first mystery quilt! Have a wonderful time in Germany and Austria, I love castles too! Are you going to watch Sound of Music tonight? How fitting. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like the dog head drawer pulls. They are very unique. If that old gal (table) could only speak of the lives she has lived.

    ReplyDelete
  16. We have that exact bakers table in our log cabin kitchen! I didn't think I would ever see another one like it! Out of curiosity, do you remember how much they wanted for it? And you got a great deal on that spool cabinet!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love them both and perfect for a cabin. Send DH back to get the other one.
    Paula in Ky

    ReplyDelete
  18. I always procrastinate about packing! The last trip I took to Italy, I was up packing most of the night. Great find on the table, I'm jealous, it is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  19. My first thought on the bin table was what a great place to put your bulk dog food, especially with the dog head pulls and it is just one bin. I love possum belly Hoosier cabinet, I would habe bought that table in a hot second, I love different and different from what everyone else has. I love the thread cabinet too! It would have come home too!

    ReplyDelete
  20. With a little bit of love, the bakers table would come up a treat. It could be a lovely project for DH to restore ;) I hope it's waiting for you when you get home. Also, make sure you pack thermals for Germany, my DS is over there at the moment & the weather is extremely cold brrrrr. Happy & safe travels.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Both are great tables. Others have expressed what I was thinking looking at the picture, about it being a baker's table. I like Margaret's idea of using it for dog food (if it were to be in the kitchen of course, not in a bedroom). I would take a close look at the drop leaf on the right, in the picture it almost looks curved/maybe warped? could be the camera angle. Love seeing your finds, even those you don't take home. Awaiting tomorrow's new Celtic Solstice clue. After unsewing & resewing every one of my 188 units - I think I've now learned to listen to your instruction to check the measurements, ahem - I have only the trimming to do. Enjoy your trip and I pray you have safe travels and good health :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I too think the tin lined curved drawer was for flour. Some sort of baking table. Have a great trip and safe too.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh my, a treadle, working or not, for $135! Wow. I need to shop for antiques on the east coast. I paid $250 over 20 years. It runs like a dream and I've sewed lots of quilts on it.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great finds and so glad you scooped up the thread table. Wish I could run across something like that here with such a good price. I just finished my Clue #1 and am anticipating #2 in the morning. It's snowing and cold, so it should be a good sewing day. Have fun in Germany. I have a friend there now and it is very cold - although not any colder than we have here in MO today.

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a great find on the Spool Cabinet. Love the big baskets. Could see making the baskets Victoria Wolfe made fabric with plaid background. I think I/m going to start another project. Set on point.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'd call the shop and buy the table. Check out Miss Mustard Seed's milk paint in typewriter which is blackish - and she did a piece in stained wood and that - it looks awesome. That's what i'd do.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I would have snatched that spool cabinet up also, great price, great present! Have a wonderful time on your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love both cabinets. I'd put a piece of glass on the spool cabinet to protect the top. Enjoy Germany.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh my gosh! I would not have left that table behind! Even before reading the comments I thought that drawer had to be for flour and sugar! Put it in your kitchen if you don't like it as an end table. Definitely grab it when you get back :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. wow that sewing machine is wonderful, it looks so much like the one my mom had when I was a little girl. A friend gave it to her when I was tiny because she was tired of sewing. Oh my goodness, how can someone get tired from sewing? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  31. I'm with everyone else...snatch up that table! I'm in CT....wonder if I can squeeze a trip in to NC before you get back, hee hee. I was just chatting with a lovely lady who is doing your mystery in Germany. Small world this is! Have fun and be safe!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wish the bakers table was in Washington state as it would find a home into the kitchen of our new house. We may be building a new home but definitely making it look "old". Have lots of antiques to fill it, including three treadle machines and a 1950's era as well as 7 assorted others. The cabinet that went home with you is a good find. Am getting the bug to go snooping through some antiques stores. Now go have a fabulous time in Germany. Can't wait too see your posts from there!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Its 9-zero outside my home tonight, 20-30 below with the wind chill. I am ready for my next clue so I can stay inside and sew all weekend. Have a wonderful trip and thank you for the mystery quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Bonnie, can't believe you snatched up that thread cabinet. Way to SCORE! Chilly here tonight too; about 15 with the windchill.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I would go for it, Bonnie. The tin lined bottom... here in Spain I would have said beans and lentils...But you in teh USA know better: it's flour and sugar. Anyway - dry food. The wood looks good, so go fetch it when you're back from Germany. Gruss!

    ReplyDelete
  36. adorable....a great find....scraps would fit in the bottom drawer no problem....i'd go for it...

    ReplyDelete
  37. Depending on the price, I would have bought the barrel drawer table. Hubby and I are also looking for a couple end table type things. They are typically so expensive compared larger furniture pieces. Sometimes I hate to buy because that means the hunt is over.

    ReplyDelete
  38. I love your spool cabinet. I would have treated myself too. Have a great trip.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Both of those tables are wonderful! Love the spool table - having been looking for something similar but the prices around here are high. Hope you have a wonderful time in Germany!

    ReplyDelete
  40. woohoo, great spool cabinet!!!! yes! i was gonna yell if you hadn't grabbed that up.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Wow, you made some really great finds. I absolutely love both these tables, but especially the spool table. I've never seen one like it. Gorgeous! Have a wonderful trip, Bonnie. Stay safe. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  42. Great tables!! They both are terrific finds wth lots of characrter!! I would have bought both. If you decide on the bakers table, hopefully it will be still there waiting for you :) Have a wonderful trip!!

    ReplyDelete
  43. The Singer 66 with red eye detail is what I inherited from my aunt! Needs the belt fixed and the middle drawer droops down. Note in drawer: "Aunt B. gave this sewing machine to me in 1915."

    ReplyDelete
  44. Very nice thread cabinet, I don't think I've ever seen one of them. I have seen a bakers cabinet before and like some of the others said they used to put sugar and flour in the tin lined drawers. Thanks for the antique shop tour.

    Gwen

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)