>>>>

Monday, December 23, 2013

The Tale of Too Many Kitchen Knobs!

xx
So, in my quilt-induced stupor, I wrote this post ahead last night to post at 7am this morning, completely forgetting that I had already written the Mystery Monday Link-Up post to post at the EXACT SAME TIME!

I woke up with a start, ran down here and reset this one to post later in the day -- what a dinglehead I am!

If you receive this twice in your reader, and the first time it went to a page not found, now you know why!

The story of the knobs is  kind of funny ---I spent yesterday running around after kitchen knobs of all things.

I found ROUND ones at Lowes – and grabbed the one style that had 47 in the drawer. I wasn’t thrilled with them. But I bought them.

All 47 of them.

Pretty ordinary looking aren’t they?

Well – what’s a girl to do when she wants them installed over Christmas – she’s got to go with what’s available, right?

cabin_Dec2013 028

Yes.  47 knobs in my cart.  Purchase made and paid for.  Done.

Or so I thought!

Next up the road was a stop at Walmart for some other necessities.  And I found myself in the hardware department and they had – oh boy!

Knobs!

cabin_Dec2013 030

In 10 packs!  And these are OCTAGONS…and I really liked them…but they only had ONE pack!

But I bought them.  Because.  I thought THIS was what I wanted!

I called The Hubster and sent him to one Walmart close to home while I made quick plans to hit a couple others on my way back home to Wallburg from Wilkesboro---

And I found them….but….

SQUIRREL!!

I found some I liked BETTER!

cabin_Dec2013 031

SQUARES!!

I grabbed 5 packs..giving me 50 knobs ((47 for the kitchen, and 3 spares!)), waited in a ridiculously long line behind other people with last minute holiday purchases…paid for them, rain to the car in the rain and called The Hubster.  “DO NOT BUY THE OCTAGON KNOBS!  I found ones I like better!!”  I’m sure he thought I was whacko, but whatever makes me happy!

And these do.  We are headed back up to Quilt Villa.  This time to STAY until Friday!  Jason arrives this evening – Jeff arrives on Christmas eve early evening.  I’ll have NEW KNOBS installed for Christmas.

And my family will be together.

And somewhere along the line I’ve got to return 47 round knobs to Lowes, and a 10 pack of octagon knobs to Walmart ---

Click Here to like our Quiltville Friends Page on Facebook for more fun!
You do not need a Facebook account to read the Facebook posts - They are viewable to all! Feel free to read & quilt along with us!

29 comments:

  1. OoooooOOOOOOOOoooooooooo! Very nice! I love the square ones too! Ummmm, I hate to tell you Bonnie......the return lines may be longer than the one you stood in to purchase these! LOL Merry Christmas and a happy healthy new year to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe the bathrooms could use the pack of square knobs? That would save you one trip to Walmart. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your new knobs and the story that goes with them! What a hoot!

    Have a wonderful time with your family at Quilt Villa this week! Family time is so special. Merry Christmas and wishes for a wonderful new year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. glad you found what you wanted - you can always think about the return line later and it won't be so bad at Lowe's of course - Merry Christmas to you and your family have a happy time at the cabin

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you found what really pleased you. Funny, I think the round knobs are cute too. I would be always obsessing that the square knobs are sitting exactly square with the cabinet door - kind of like the perfume bottle with the square cap I used to have; I overtightened the plastic threads of the cap once and it never sat straight with the bottle sides again, and it drove me CRAZY! Merry merry Christmas to you and yours, and see you after the holiday with the next step of the mystery, which I love, by the way!.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you got the ones that you wanted, and some extras just in case you don't like
    them after you get home. Have a wonderful time at your magical place with your
    family. Happy and safe holidays to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's worth any hassle to have the knobs you love in the kitchen. I started putting in new knobs that weren't making my heart sing, only because I couldn't find what wanted, despite massive searching. Suddenly happened upon exactly what I wanted 200 miles from home when looking for something else, yea! Merry Christmas and enjoy the wonderful moments with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. if it were me, i would keep the extra knobs on hand.
    Just as surely as you take them back, someone in your extended family or a friend who is remodeling will have a use for them. Then too, something as basic as a knob can be easily stored, will last for years, and can be put to many different uses.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your stories keep me in giggles, Bonnie. I'm so glad that you found the knobs you love!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Squirrel! That is totally how I think! (Especially with craft projects, but really with all of life …) Glad you found knobs you love, even if it took three tries.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous4:13 PM EST

    Heck mix them up and don't have matchy matchy. Your story was too funny and good luck on the return line. AND Merry Christmas to you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like something I'd do! But at least you found the ones you REALLY liked! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  13. SQUIRREL! This has become a favorite saying around my house too! Thought you would go with the octagons...close to hexie!! I giggled all the while reading this post. You are lucky you have so many Walmarts to choose from. Glad you found what you wanted too! Merry Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yea. I was one who saw this title posted earlier. Nice you found them in the quantity at one store afterall.

    ReplyDelete
  15. As we quilters know, it's all in the details!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the squares! So quilty!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Too funny!...But I get it....

    ReplyDelete
  18. Whatever you do - DO NOT try to return them Dec 26!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. good luck on the "line" to get the merchandise back into the store aka the returns!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Had to laugh with you Bonnie!!! I do this with every quilt I make but never return any fabric :) Also built our home 4 yrs ago and knobs aren't the only thing we returned. Merry Christmas and Happy New.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have knobs similar to the Lowe's knobs in my studio, only they are oval. I love them on my cabinet. Of course, had I seen hexies, there may have been a different decision.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Merry Christmas at the cabin with your family, your sewing, and your knobs! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I know what you mean when you need that many-I will need 40 handles to change out my kitchen! Double door cabinets sure use up lots of knobs and handles. That is ON my list for 2014-have lived with the ones for the 1980's now for almost 20 years and it is time to re-do! A very Blessed Christmas to you and your family in your first Christmas in your future home (now the get-away cabin that inspired you so much in your sewing!)

    ReplyDelete
  24. 47 knobs? Mercy that is much more than I would have thought.

    Have fun doing things for your wonderful cabin.... making it yours step by step.

    Have a nice evening ...

    JuileinTN

    ReplyDelete
  25. Having remodeled our kitchen this past Spring, I can relate to the Story of the Knobs!! Think of them as jewelry for the kitchen & you know jewelry is what makes the outfit, or kitchen in this case. A girl just has to have what a girl wants! We'll be waiting to see pictures of the cabinets with knobs installed. May your Holidays be Bright!

    ReplyDelete
  26. What's a girl gonna do but exactly what you did! Been there done that when we built our house for a kitchen, 3 bathrooms and a laundry room! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  27. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! What a great story!! Good thing you didn't find Hexie knobs!! :-D
    Merriest Christmas to you and all!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. You give me a big laugh. Thanks Bonny for everything you gave to us readers.
    Merry Christmas to you and the family.

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)