>>>>

Tuesday, December 17, 2013

An Afternoon in Innsbruck, Austria!

innsbruck_2013 027
If you have never seen the alps ---go.

I can see why for eons the mountains have beckoned, and people have climbed, ever higher.

And we were extra blessed with clear blue skies and sunshine, even though the temps to this North Carolinian, with her southern-thinned blood were quite chilly –there was no complaining.  The rawness of winter in such a beautiful place went unnoticed!

Quite a few of my photos were from bus windows…and there are reflections.  And that’s okay by me, because those are MY reflections, a reminder that I was there – that I took these photos, that I am part of the memories made.

Austria.

I was in Austria!

innsbruck_2013 036

Christmas in Austria!

We were “let loose” to explore the Christmas Markets in the town center –but it was the buildings that caught my attention more than anything!

innsbruck_2013 049

Look at the lovely purple OLD building – next to the monstrosity that is the new one!  Which would you choose?

innsbruck_2013 051

This building had its windows decorated up like an Advent Calendar!

innsbruck_2013 063

This one looked like it was from a completely different period in time ---

innsbruck_2013 065

This statue adorns one corner --

We didn’t have time to figure out who or what it was for….but the town has such ambiance, we all agreed we would love to have had much more time in Innsbruck to see more, do more.

innsbruck_2013 040

This building looked like a wedding cake next to it’s boringly modern neighbor!

innsbruck_2013 034

And ever-present are the mountains, the beautiful snow-capped mountains!

innsbruck_2013 043

The mountains hovered above us ---keeping watch!

innsbruck_2013 057

Pastel buildings against a mountain backdrop!

innsbruck_2013 060

What an awesome place!

innsbruck_2013 062

Evening began to fall and we had to make our way back to the bus.

I’m uploading the rest of my Innsbruck photos into a slide show so I can keep them in one place.

Click the image below if you can’t view the slide show on your mobile device.  You’ll be taken directly to the photo album.
Innsbruck, Austria 2013



Click Here to like our Quiltville Friends Page on Facebook for more fun!
You do not need a Facebook account to read the Facebook posts - They are viewable to all! Feel free to read & quilt along with us!

16 comments:

  1. Wow! What a beautiful city. Thank you for taking us along on your journey. I have been really enjoying seeing Europe through your eyes and perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a bag of memories you have brought to us, thank you. can sense the tingly atmosphere which brings baCK happy memories of snowy Scotland, without those yummy treats, of course. Did you try them??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such beauty! If you base a mystery on this trip your colors will be amazing!! Love all the architecture of these quaint villages!!! Thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful pictures! I'm amazed at the beauty of the city streets and the buildings. The history of the region is so well taken care of. A lot of pride. Maybe some day when the U.S. is older, we will have saved our past instead of tearing it down to build something shiny and new. We're just to young still. Thank you for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I discovered Innsbruck quite by accident, many years ago. I was travelling with a friend from Germany to Italy, and Italian trains went on strike so we were blocked before we got to the border. We fell in love with the place, so instead of just a few hours we took hotel rooms and stayed over 3 days! Not only the town center is pretty colourful: we took bikes and anywhere we went there would be houses with their facades beautifully painted. And people dress everyday with the traditional costume, not only for holidays. It was early July but you could still see some snow on the highest mountain tops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a fabulous fortuitous vacation! Italy can wait until next time :)

      Delete
  6. My mother is from Austria, I hope to go someday, so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My oldest daughter spent a semester abroad in Innsbruck a few years ago, and was there over Christmas. Her photos were magical to me. I loved "revisiting" through your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your pictures tell a wonderful tale. Such a beautiful country, I adore Innsbruck. It has been a real treat to see all the scenes through your eyes. I am so glad you enjoyed the break and have such lovely memories to keep.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bonnie, the pastel buildings look like the waterfront in Curacao...but there are no snow capped mountains there! LOL

    Love all the photos from your trip. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for sharing these wonderful photos. Love the purple building (my fav colour). I have never been outside Australia, am sooo jealous......oh well maybe one day when I win Lotto

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous6:09 PM EST

    I love the advent calendar windows! So awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Brings back memories of a year in Switzerland after high school where I got to ski the alps. Also visited Austria and other countries the year I graduated high school.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your pictures were fun to view. I especially like the photo of the cuckoo clocks!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What wonderful photos! glad you had such a good time. Love the cuckoo clocks too, I have one my husband bought on a working trip.

    ReplyDelete
  15. you look so happy on every picture :-)

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)