>>>>

Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Schloss Mirabell, Salzburg Austria

Salzburg_2013 005
Salzburg, Austria is amazing. 

I don’t know how else to describe it ----we boarded our bus at 8am in Ruhpolding and headed down the road toward Salzburg, meeting up with our Austrian guide Erika for a three hour tour…((Yes I know you are singing it with me…go ahead, finish the phrase!))

Erica is the one to the right of the map, facing front and pointing out landmarks so we could find our way back to the bus after we separated after the tour on our own shopping excursions.

We walked from one historic site to another, and my camera was out and at the ready at every turn.  I took 266 photos!!!  So I’m going to have to break these down into bits and parts ---be prepared for LOTS of Salzburg!

Of course, when one thinks of Salzburg, the first thing we think of is The Sound of Music.

The theme for the day was set for us when our bus driver, Adriano, pushed START on the CD player and our coach was filled with the soundtrack – and we sang, oh did we sing!

Salzburg_2013 003

This was NOT our bus!  But you can see how much of a destination location Salzburg is for Sound of Music lovers!

First stop:  Mirabell Castle, or Schloss Mirabell.  Mirabell means “Beautiful View” and it sure is that!

Salzburg_2013 039

Breathtaking!

Prince-Archbishop Wolf Dietrich von Raitenau had Altenau Palace built in 1606 as a token of his love for Salome Alt. The palace fulfilled its purpose: fifteen children were born of their union, ten of whom survived.
After Wolf Dietrich's death, the palace was renamed "Mirabell" by his successor, Markus Sitticus von Hohenems
Yes, The prince was also automatically Arch Bishop in the catholic church and he and his mistress had 15 children.  Mind blowing!
 
Salzburg_2013 018
 
Amazing Stair Case!
 
Today Mirabell Palace houses the offices of Salzburg's mayor and the municipal council. The Marble Hall, formerly the prince-archbishops' ballroom and concert venue for Leopold Mozart and his children Wolfgang and Nannerl, is considered to be one of the "most beautiful wedding halls in the world." Meetings, awards ceremonies and romantic concerts (Salzburg Palace Concerts) are held here regularly.
 
Salzburg_2013 020
 
Marble floor inside the wedding hall!
 
Salzburg_2013 021
 
Christmas tree in the corner ---beautiful!
 
One thing I can say about Christmas trees over here…they are not “over done”.  Simply beautiful – with emphasis on the SIMPLY.  A FEW lights, a FEW ornaments..but mostly tree.  I like it this way….
 
Salzburg_2013 022
 
Ceiling in the wedding hall
 
Salzburg_2013 023
 
How would you like a wedding here?  Would your eyes be on the floor or on the bride?
 
Salzburg_2013 024
 
Gorgeous!
 
The gardens were my favorite of all --- of course if you are familiar with The Sound of music you will recall scenes of the Von Trapp Family children dancing around this fountain:
 
Salzburg_2013 026
 
The Pegasus statue!
 
Salzburg_2013 027-001
 
The Do Re Mi steps are behind me in the background over my left shoulder –amazing!
 
Salzburg_2013 032
 
The view down the lawns showing the  Hohensalzburg Fortress on the hill in the distance.

Salzburg_2013 033


Gnarly trees make for great photos!  We decided these resemble ink-blotch paintings…the kind where you blow on the ink with a straw to make it run---remember?

Salzburg_2013 035

Our group following Erika down the walk ways toward the other end of the garden!

Salzburg_2013 037

Love the gates and the giant urns

Salzburg_2013 038

Another gorgeous gate!

Salzburg_2013 040

Fabulous statues!

Salzburg_2013 041

Remember these statues from the Sound of Music??

Salzburg_2013 043

Statues and awesome winter trees and happy tourists soaking up Salzburg!

Salzburg_2013 042

One last look as we move on!

The famous Mirabell Gardens were redesigned around 1690 under Prince-Archbishop Johann Ernst Graf von Thun to plans by Johann Bernhard Fischer von Erlach and completely remodeled around 1730 by Franz Anton Danreiter. The Pegasus Fountain, a work by Kaspar Gras from Innsbruck, was installed in 1913. The four groups of statues around the fountain were sculpted by Ottavio Mosto (1690) and symbolize the 4 elements: fire, air, earth and water. The Mirabell Gardens were opened to the public by Emperor Franz Joseph in 1854. Today they are a horticultural masterpiece and popular backdrop for photographers.

Salzburg_2013 045

See ya next time, dude!

It was an amazing day to be in Austria and we were just getting started!


Click Here to like our Quiltville Friends Page on Facebook for more fun!

You do not need a Facebook account to read the Facebook posts - They are viewable to all! Feel free to read & quilt along with us!








































12 comments:

  1. My eyes keep going to the marble floors and their patterns and I keep thinking "quilt patterns"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you had time in Salzburg to explore the old cemetery leading to the catacombs. Salzburg was one of my favorite places in all of Europe when we lived there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is Mirabell where they have a stone table and stools in the garden - when the guests were seated, water would squirt up through the stool !! That's what I remember...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting. I tend to emmulate statues, also and have my pic taken. I love it. You did a better job, though, than I ever did. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been waiting patiently for your pictures of Salzburg and I haven't been disappointed. You did a great job. The floor in the wedding hall certainly does scream out "quilt". It's gorgeous. I knew you would enjoy this city, there is so much to see and all beautiful. Now I will be waiting for your Innsbruck snaps, another beautiful city.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tee... Doooo... I will be singing all day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I could almost hear you sing! haha...I love Salzburg al lot, I.ve been there at several vacations (from the Netherlands) Did you see the horses with their couches too? Enjoy the rest of your great trip. By the way is it a quilting trip or just a touristic trip?

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks like SO much fun! I just watched the love version of the Sound of Music and it made me want to rewatch the original..I will be looking for all these sights! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. So beautiful! I love seeing your travel pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Salzburg is awesome! We stayed there for 3 days when I lived in Munich one summer. The first thing a group of us did was take that sound of Music tour. It was a great overview of the entire area. I reccomend it highly! Funny thing our guide was from SC!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for the virtual tour! I don't remember any of those "Sound of Music" venues, which means it's been too long since I've seen that movie. I'll have to find it and see it again...soon!

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh my wish I was there beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)