>>>>

Saturday, December 28, 2013

Boxy Stars is DONE!!

cabin_Dec2013 050
 It’s DONE!

Getting the binding, hanging sleeve and label sewn down by hand was my evening project over the past Christmas week while at the cabin.

I just LOVE what the yellow border has done for this quilt.

The dark purple I had "THOUGHT" would work has found it's place as the final binding, but would have been too dark for what was going on in the center, where there is already not that much light going on ---

The yellow was my LAST choice...but it is the one that worked the best, so let this be a lesson -- Do not be so set in your ideas that you miss the best choice just because your mind is already made up.

cabin_Dec2013 048

On the split rail fence at the cabin, in the afternoon sunlight ---this post is also a test to see what happens if I post the photos in Windows Live Writer, write ONE sentence and set the font size for it, send it over to Blogger and re-edit from here, adding the rest of the text.

You never know what will happen until you hit PUBLISH!  We shall see what this does.

cabin_Dec2013 049

Isn't the quilting texture pretty?  This edge to edge design is called Espalier by Hermione Agee of Lorien Quilting, Australia.  Click HERE for more info.

cabin_Dec2013 051

It's ready to go to Texas with me tomorrow for a fun week of Workshops in Plano and McKinney!

Want to make one?  You'll find the free pattern for Boxy Stars under the free patterns tab at the top of the blog!

I also want to stick in a quick reminder for Quilt-Cam this AFTERNOON at 2pm EST.  I'm going to try a new webcam out -- to see if it will focus better.  I may try another camera position so it doesn't focus on the closest object to the camera, which of course is the back of my machine.  This means we may shoot from the side a bit to keep things in better focus.

Thank you for putting up with me when conditions in the studio aren't optimal all the time -- this is not a professional job -- it's me, my machine, my laptop and an external camera.  It is what it is!

Hope to see you here at 2pm!

And with that, I'm off to Sam's club at an extremely early hour (It's 6:45am as I write this) because I forgot to pick up bubble mailers on the way home from the Cabin yesterday, and I need to get all the orders that came in since Monday off to the post office today ---and they close at noon!

Catch you later, gators!


Click Here to like our Quiltville Friends Page on Facebook for more fun!
You do not need a Facebook account to read the Facebook posts - They are viewable to all! Feel free to read & quilt along with us!

34 comments:

  1. Your Boxy Stars quilt is so happy with the yellow border. It's especially nice with the dappled sunlight shining upon it. Technology...love it and hate it! Hope you get past the latest learning curve in short order.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Bonnie,
    the yellow just compliments the centre very nice. Good choice! Looks so nice and sunny.
    I like it and the quilting is great.
    Have a good vacation to Texas and I already wish you a happy New Year 2014.
    :o) Doris

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bonnie, the quilt is stunning. Yellow (or red) has the ability to give any quilt splash and drama.... love it! You choose the exact color for this border to make a wonderful quilt shine even more! Would like to see the quilt in person!

    Smiles, JulieinTN

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bonnie, your Boxy Stars quilt is so bright and cheery! Just shows yet again why we love scrappy! I am going to watch you tonight while I quilt a customer's cot quilt. I am frog stitching it at the moment because my tension went a bit peculiar and I didn't notice until I half quilted it! Oh bummer!! Never mind. See you later.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your Boxy Stars turned out really beautifully. I love the mix of colours you have in it. I will catch you on you tube in the morning, live for you is 1AM in Perth Australia. But will be sewing on CS while I watch tomorrow, catching up with the clues I missed while on the road. My son ordered me a couple of your books and a seam guide as me Christmas present, hope it's one of the ones you get in the mail :) Thank you for continuing to post on the blog and quilt cam while you are constantly struggling with technology, we really appreciate your efforts. Have a great time in Texas and a great New Year. I hope you have a wonderful 2014!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your scrappy boxy squares quilt! Yellow border is great. I would not have thought of yellow. This quilt just reinforces my love of colorful, fun, scrappy quilts.
    I love quilt cam. It doesn't have to be a professional job.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the yellow border! Great quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your quick focus on your quilt amazes me!! I have to keep moving from project to project and nothing gets done! Beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your quilt. I went to Joann's yesterday and picked up fabric at 70% off because it said holiday on the cardboard. Just picked up colors didn't really look like Christmas and I can use it in your scrappy quilts. What a bargain!! Thanks for everything you do for us.
    Paula in La.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love how the quilt turned out.
    I always admire the scrappiness in qour quilts, yet I am not confident enough to go for a fully scrappy quilt... but well - I'm getting there step by step ;)

    Too bad I won't be able to join you today when you are on quiltcam - I'll have to watch the recorded version later since I'm spending the weekend with a whole lot of friends and we are working on new stuff for real old computers such as the Commodore64 :D a kinda strange mixture of hobbies - I know!

    Anyway:
    Have fun sewing away today! I'll be looking forward to watch the session later on youtube.
    Greetings from cold and rainy Germany

    Janina

    ReplyDelete
  11. the best choice...you are right bonnie, auditioning different fabrics is always important!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love it, wonderful texture. This quilt goes on my list. Auditioning is important, and don't forget the color wheel, complementary colors always make each other pop.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, that yellow is perfect, Bonnie! What a happy quilt! I'm always amazed at how much you get done in a small amount of time. Way to go girl! I need to get my rear in gear. Hopefully, 2014 will be my year! Enjoy your time in TX and Happy New Year to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So happy you had wonderful memories with family this Christmas! Thank you for anytime we get to spend time with you....I'd hate for you to see my room! Lol messy....but peaceful.
    Have a blessed, safe and Happy 2014!!♡♡

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think this one is one of my favorites of your quilts. I am absolutely nuts over yellow. Definitely will do this one someday!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I LOVE how the quilt "sparkles"!!! Simply gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such a happy quilt! I often use yellow on the backs of mine quilts for just that reason.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your quilt turned out great! I love the fact that we were able to see it coming together while watching Quilt Cam over the past few months. Will try to catch today's quilt cam live. Thanks for all you do!

    ReplyDelete
  19. The yellow makes the rest of the quilt snap crackle and pop!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love your quilt Bonnie! Its beautiful. The quilting, border fabric and binding all look great!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your boxy stars is quite cheery and pretty! I too have been working on a boxy stars quilt over the holidays and am finishing up the quilting today. 1 1/2" cross hatching in the body and triple wavy lines in the borders, done on my 1941 Singer201.
    As for quilt cam, no apologies needed, the fact that you share your time, talent & studio with us at all is enough. And free at that, no one should complain at all-EVER!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I don't know how you continue to outdo yourself. This boxy stars is beautiful and happy-making! I love, love, love the light purple and yellow combination you've put together. Thanks for the never-ending inspiration, Bonnie.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your Boxy Stars are amazing Bonnie! I love it and also the lesson it provided. Lovely shot of it over the rail fence at the cabin. Wouldn't it make a great shot for a Quilt Villa calendar? I'll be tuning in and having a binding fest while you chat and sew with us! Hugs, Allison

    ReplyDelete
  24. This quilt is sooo very beautiful I have decided to make my next quilt using this pattern; however I am very new at quilting so I have very few scraps. But I am excited. This quilt is truly amazing. I like the light purple and the yellow very much.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I have a LOT of Scrap cutting to do and this pattern could be a great way to show off my STASH. Easy Peasy I-Spy. Congrats on a great finish and thanks for sharing the quilting design. Cutting parts for #2 CS. Ready for the last QuiltCAM of 2013!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love the quilt! I would like to have the kind of energy that you have.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I really like yellow in quilts and this does make a beautiful frame for your gorgeous quilt- this pattern is definitely on my ever growing to do list. Best wishes to you and yours in 2014.
    Regards,
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  28. Kathy and I are working on our Celtic Solstice today. Just finished watching today's quiltcam...great fun as always! Boxy Stars does look fabulous with the yellow and the quilting is lovely! I just want to lay in the sun on it with a good book! Safe travels to Texas!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love the yellow border Bonnie....Love BOXY STARS too! Have fun in Texas!

    sao in Midlothian, VA

    ReplyDelete
  30. Such a pretty and happy looking quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love your quilt. The yellow border. is just perfect on it. Your work is always awesome.

    Edie in Salisbury NC

    ReplyDelete
  32. It looks fantastic and I adore that yellow border.

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)