>>>>

Thursday, December 19, 2013

Climb Every Mountain!

Neuschwanstein_2013 040
One of the benefits of going to visit Neuschwanstein Castle mid-week in winter – is that lines are NOT as long, tours are not as crowded, and there is a magic about this place framed against a backdrop of jagged snow frosted mountains.

For those who want to wait in line –there are horse drawn carriages that can take you from the bottom, all the way up to the castle, but  those of us who wanted to experience the ragged climb on foot – HIKED IT!

It may have been cold and chilly this day, but let me tell you, a hike up to Neuschwanstein castle will have you taking your hat off, your scarf off, your gloves off, and unzipping your coat –-we were huffing and puffing and sweating glistening by the time we reached the top!

We climbed and climbed –enjoying the crisp air and bright sunshine against a beautiful blue sky.

Have I mentioned how PERFECT our weather was this entire trip??

Neuschwanstein_2013 033

Up we went, while empty carriages went down to go pick up more passengers ---

Neuschwanstein_2013 031

Waterfall through the snow!

Neuschwanstein_2013 035

My first glimpse of spires!

Neuschwanstein_2013 037

The valley below..can you see the lake?  We were quite a ways up there!

Neuschwanstein_2013 039

Oh wow!

Neuschwanstein_2013 043

Dorothy, we are NOT in Kansas any more!

We were NOT allowed to take photos inside.  Click HERE for google images showing you what we saw on the INSIDE…wow!

Here’s a YouTube Video giving you more of the story including a great biography about King Ludwig II:


My photography is not as spectacular as the video above…but these are MY memories.  Still can’t believe I was there – and with such a great group of travelers!

Click the image below if you can’t view the slide show on your mobile device.  You’ll be taken directly to the photo album.

Journey to Neuschwanstein 2013


Click Here to like our Quiltville Friends Page on Facebook for more fun!
You do not need a Facebook account to read the Facebook posts - They are viewable to all! Feel free to read & quilt along with us!

7 comments:

  1. What beautiful photos! You must have had such a wonderful time, I would love to join one of your trips one day, have only been following you for about 10 months and have seen such beautiful things and learnt so much in that time. Thankyou for sharing so much of your time and talent. I hope you have a wonderful and joyful Christmas. Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:00 PM EST

    Thanks for sharing your photos and the video! I loved visiting the castle when I was in Germany. However, one trip walking up that long path was enough for me. If I go again, it's horse drawn carriage, even if I have to wait in line!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We visited here back in the late 1950s, when my father was stationed in Germany. It was indeed a beautiful place! We went in the summer, though. I seem to remember the road up to the castle being lined with what were called "seven sisters roses"? And I think we were able to drive up closer to the castle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for taking us along on your travels all year! It's been fun to see the world through your Camera Lens. Reminds me of my German teacher in HS and learning the Christmas songs in German.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hiked it too when I was there in June several years ago - felt like that was part of the experience. I was stationed in Germany for three years but didn't get to visit it until years later when I returned for two weeks. Such a beautiful castle!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hiked it, too--kept going slower and slower--wondered if I'd ever get to the top--when a man with one leg, on crutches, passed me! True story! I immediately stopped feeling sorry for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic photographs yet again. It's a gorgeous place. Bet the old lungs worked overtime on that climb. Good on you for doing it.
    Linda

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)