>>>>

Thursday, February 26, 2015

Snow Day=Spider Web Sew Day!

20150226_110740
**Notice** Before I go any further I want to let you know that there are 3 openings left on our October Cruise! 

If you were interested in coming and afraid it was sold out, please click the Cruise tab at the top of the blog for more info! I’d love to have you join us!

If you were hoping you’d get in to our Vegas retreat and found it full too quickly, this might be a better choice to fit your schedule!  Give it a look.  Come sail with me!

I was feeling a bit BLUE with all of the winter weather and snow dumping we've had lately here in North Central, North Carolina.

What is a girl to do when she is feeling blue?

Pull out a blue sewing machine and sew something sunshiny and bright!

This is Petula, my 1967 Wizard Citation.  Such sleek, fun lines!

Before leaving for Texas I had assembled the rows for my String Spider Web re-make, and the rows simply needed to be pinned together and stitched to assemble the quilt top.

But OH the pinning!

There were points to match that just would not match no matter how hard I tried.

String quilts are utilitarian in nature and by that nature were never meant to have things match perfectly – but we do give it a good try when we can, don’t we?

There will ALWAYS be bulk in the many seams of a string quilt where corners and points come together.  That’s just the way that it is!

But oh what fun when you stitch a row on to find another section completed!

20150226_165727

Uhoh…no matter how hard we try….same fabric together!

See that yellow print, front and center?

I was having a conversation with a quilt friend today attempting to define our “genre” as a quilter.  I do not enter my quilts to be judged.  For display only?  Yes.  But to be judged? No.

I’m firmly in the court of “mid-depression to mid-century farm wife with a burgeoning scrap basket” as far as I think of myself as a quilter.  I love to sew it up – the more fabrics the better!  The more variety the better!  The more color, the better!  The more perfect….ugh.  I am happily a relaxed piecer who doesn’t want to stress over points that don’t match ALL the time.  I like to be surprised when they DO match to no fault of my own!

And I did the best I can to match places where many points and seams are coming together, but if they are off a needle’s width here or there…I just tell folks with a shrug of my shoulder and a slightly crooked grin on my face:

“I live happily in the land of That’ll Do!”

20150226_165744

Another section ---so fun to see this off set!

I asked on facebook and instagram – Borders or No Borders??

Really, it was split about 50/50.

And I’m inclined to NO borders.  Just a strong binding.  Maybe turquoise?

It’s already 74 X 85 and I never do ONE border for a quilt – it would have to be at least two, like a mat and a frame, and then it would be TOO big.

20150226_131639

Draped over the rail of my long arm machine.

I’m not sure what to call it yet, but it will come to me.

I’m planning on just quilting it with an edge to edge design because it IS a utility quilt, and will be used a lot. 

No, this is no show piece, it would be right at home with mid-century farm wife scrap bag.  And I love it that way!

Oh, and as for where that favorite piece ended up?

20150226_165814

Bathing Beauty strutting her stuff!

I’ve got a backing pieced, but no time to load it.  I still need to pack up the trunk show, and pack my own suitcase.  I need to make it to the airport by 6:45 at the latest tomorrow morning.

The roads may be a bit treacherous ---we had a lot of thaw, but there is also a lot of re-freezing happening tonight.

Florida, you can’t bring on your warm quick enough!

Oh, and while the quilter was quilting – this was going on in my back acreage:

The Hubster entertaining himself while the rest of us WORK! HA!

I have a sweet giveaway happening here tomorrow morning, be sure to drop by! You don’t want to miss it!


Click Here to like our Quiltville Friends Page on Facebook for more fun!

Click Here to join our sister group, Quiltville's Open Studio on Facebook, a place to Sew, Share & Grow!!

43 comments:

  1. Oh love the layout of the string spider web, it's very striking.

    Warm and sunny Florida awaits you. Hope your trip gives you everything you need.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is one thing I like about you Bonnie is that you quilt for fun not for perfection. Some have asked why do I not enter my quilts in shows - I tell them because they are not perfect - I don't take the time for perfection because I just want to have fun - a judge would look my quilts over and see points that are not pointed, stitches that are not perfectly even on and on - more to life that than.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:03 PM EST

    I have an idea for a name of this spider web quilt...Due to the timing and weather while piecing it, I suggest something in the nature of,

    "Scrappy Slalom" or "Spider Slalom"....

    francesm@wildblue.net
    frances meitzen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous8:19 PM EST

    Quilt looks like it was fun!!! Love the colors.

    Cherry Jones
    Cherryjones72@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous8:21 PM EST

    I am working on a spider wed quilt, but somehow my kites will not have a point at the bottom. But, it is for fun, and if it isn't perfect, that is okay. At least all of them will be the same. I have a few more blocks to make yet. It has been fun. I, too, love string quilts.
    iquilt4ever in Iowa

    ReplyDelete
  6. How about "wandering spider webs"?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous9:04 PM EST

    Thanks for letting us know, once again that we don't have to be perfect. I don't make quilts to be judged, I make them to be used.
    cindy

    ReplyDelete
  8. If you got bruises in your fall the other day, this quilt is probably the colors they will be, lol. Really do hope you have recovered from the incident and able to enjoy your time in Florida. How about "Sun Spun Spiders"?
    Anywho, I'm with you, my quilts are meant to be loved and cover people I love, judge, smudge....As Frank said, "I'll do it my way" Thanks Bonnie!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That 4-wheeler looks like so much fun. Now we know what kind of work he needed to do on it!

    Glad you decided to forego borders; it's perfect as is.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Carol pennington9:21 PM EST

    How about squiggly wiggly stars lol !!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks like a Giant Slalom to me!! Love the fun your hubby is having on his quad - mine is wishing for enough snow to go out and play in!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know you didn't ask for names but that quilt is too fun for us not to play! I say its 'Slinky'!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Scrappy Snakes, of course!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think you should have at least a 3" border all around so when the quilt is handled, there won't be so much stress given to those strings piecing areas right on the edge. The border will stabilize all the seaming.

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous9:56 PM EST

    How about calling it "Wiggling Along"?

    ReplyDelete
  16. I to just want to make quilts that are used, loved and cuddled under...This quilt looks like a Spider's Drunken Path......

    ReplyDelete
  17. LOVE this post. I, too, am a 'that'll do' quilter. I took a class many years ago from a great quilter who said 'ALWAYS do your absolute best and then, love the results...no matter what!'

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love this quilt top! It's going to beautiful all quilted. I may have to add this one to my bucket list to make.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anonymous10:29 PM EST

    Love this quilt. Last time I saw the colorful zig-zag. Tonight I really noticed the yellow stars. Beautiful! brewersd@juno.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Anonymous12:37 AM EST

    Scrappy rainbows :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Glad you got it together. My Grand Illusion intersections aren't matching much and I'm ok with that too. On to the Inner Border...I had to go buy more Yellow fabric, I lost the strips I had cut, LOL. Travel safe to the land of the SUN!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Anonymous5:39 AM EST

    When I was new to quilting and struggling with all my seams matching my cousin, who does beautiful quilts that sell for thousands of dollars, told me "don't worry about those pesky old seams matching, I don't" I have been more relaxed about it since then!!

    P.S. one of her quilts is in the book
    100 Best Quilts Of The 20th Century and she has a quilt in the National Quilt Museum. Pam Studstill.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm with you 100% about not stressing to make "perfect" quilts! That takes all the fun out of it! I do believe color choices are important though. But that's fun!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wormhole Extreme!!! This is from Stargate SG-1

    ReplyDelete
  25. Anonymous8:02 AM EST

    Bonnie, I love how this string quilt turned out! So bright and sunny, perfect for a snowy day! Thanks for all that you share with us
    Mary in New Mexico
    PS we have been getting snow here too!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Anonymous8:12 AM EST

    Love this top. The flow of the strings reminds me of square dancers.
    Evelyn in PA

    ReplyDelete
  27. The arrangement of blocks that you've chosen looks like swags to me. How about something like Spider Swags or Swaggered Webs for a name?

    ReplyDelete
  28. Anonymous9:10 AM EST

    it looks like your description of the access road to your cabin,

    QUILTVILLE QUOMMUTE!

    melanie

    ReplyDelete
  29. Anonymous9:10 AM EST

    Melanie mallery
    melanie.mallery@richmondgov.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. 'Rivers of colors' is what it looks like to me. I read your blog because of your piecing attitude, Bonnie. My points don't always meet & I'm thrilled when they do. Mine will never go to be judged but to family & friends to enjoy. kdesko@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. The boys get bigger but so do their toys!!I have one at my house too!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Instead of being called spiderweb I think you should call it snails trail. Just what I thought when I saw it LOL

    ReplyDelete
  33. I agree on displaying at quilt shows. I will display but do not want judged. Used to enter for judging but the judges' comments made me feel worthless and incompetent. My quilt was made well and just because I didn't stuff the binding to their standard doesn't take away my joy of making the quilt. Beautiful spiderweb. Looks like morning dew on the web.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Agree a border would stabilize the many pieces. Most twin beds sold now are "Twin long"--six more inches. So borders, especially top and bottom could improve the fit. Turquoise is my favorite color, and I think it would be perfect for this!
    Cwoosley12@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  35. I'll add my thanks for sharing you "It'll do" attitude towards matching points. I can't be a "perfect piecer" no matter how hard I try, and trying that hard sure takes the fun out of it! Some cute names have been suggested -- but I like a simpler name: "Curves Ahead."

    ReplyDelete
  36. The colors sure "POP" nicely. You were wondering what to call it.... what about something with rainbow/stars in it? Just a thought. I have the same feeling as far as quilts go... call it good!
    So funny about your hubby.... didn't he say he brought it home to "work on".
    Have a safe trip.... enjoy the warm. Maybe you could send some of that snow and rain and cold back a few states.... to Utah and the western part of the country.... we are going to be in drought situation the Summer if we don't get more snow/rain. Oregon only has 29% of the snow pack they need and Washington is in the 30% range. Sending up the prayers that we get dumped on not you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Hi, Bonnie!

    Slip-Slidin' Spiders? Your newest creation is so bright and filled with life and color. Love it! Have a fun day, and travel safely.
    Lynn in Missouri (slated to receive 4-7 inches of snow starting this weekend!)

    ReplyDelete
  38. Whatever you do it is STUNNING! I have the red one on my list...

    ReplyDelete
  39. Banana Splitz

    Yellow Strip Road

    Starry Starry Night

    It'll Be All Bright On The Night :)

    ReplyDelete
  40. Anonymous9:07 AM EST

    I have not seen this layout before. It gives your quilt so much movement. My sewing attitude is also similar to yours, do the best you can, learn from what didn't go so well and, get it done.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Hello! I saw a Wizard Citation at a swap meet today. I am just starting to learn about vintage machines and can't find much about this one online. Do you have the manual? The one I am looking at needs to be rewired and has no foot pedal. Just looking for some advice and trying to decide if this is the machine I want to jump in to my education with first.

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)