>>>>

Sunday, February 15, 2015

Scrap Crystals in the Afternoon!

20150214_142004
Half day workshops make me panicky!

There, I said it!

Half day workshops where you want to give as much info as you can to students – everything you would  throw into a full day workshop, condensed into a mere 3 hours that goes so quickly!

Can we pace this in a way that everyone will also be able to relax and enjoy the time we have without feeling rushed?

I think we made a very good job of it.  Our goal was to learn the ins and outs of the Easy Angle ruler when working with small triangles.  We had a great time!

Scrap Crystals was a block that I first submitted to 100 blocks by 100 designers for Quiltmaker Magazine ---and also taught it as our workshop on an Alaskan cruise.  But it really is very simple.  It’s ONE unit – a Broken Dishes, just like in our Grand Illusion Mystery!

 20150214_151408

Does this look wrong?  It’s RIGHT!

20150214_152250

Also Right!

20150214_151901

These also!!  Completely right!

The layout may look weird here –but this is correct.  I’ve given these units a slogan of “Don’t Drink and Quilt!”  But they are totally and awesomely right!  Because when you rotate four of these “drunken” stars together you get this:

20150214_160512

Sweet Scrappiness!

20150214_151547

A section of My Scrap Crystals!

You can find the pattern for my Scrap Crystals quilt in my book MORE Adventures with Leaders & Enders.

Click the image below if you are unable to view the slide show on your mobile device.  You’ll be taken to the photo album for viewing.

Scrap Crystals, San Antonio TX 2015



Thank you for a wonderful couple of days, San Antonio, Texas!

We are now on our way to Fredericksburg for a My Blue Heaven workshop with the Vereins Quilt Guild.  After today’s workshop is over I am being shuttled off to Kerrville and our Texas Quilt Adventure continues.

I’ll miss hanging around with my friend Irene, but I’ll be back to her house on Wednesday evening for one last shin-dig and then she will be taking me to the airport on Thursday for my trip home.

Enjoy your Sunday, everyone – whatever you get up to, don’t forget to pet the fabric!


Click Here to like our Quiltville Friends Page on Facebook for more fun!

Click Here to join our sister group, Quiltville's Open Studio on Facebook, a place to Sew, Share & Grow!!

14 comments:

  1. Such fun.... Snow is expected here tomorrow... and I will honked down and SEW... such good sewing weather.

    Have fun and be safe
    Smiles
    JulieinTN

    ReplyDelete
  2. Snow is expected here, too, it's 22' this morning, cold front making it in as forecast. Hope SA is warm and sunny as usual for you! "Wish I was there!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Bonnie for making pattern easy.I like the Scrap Crystal quilt very much and plan to sew it. Now it will be a leader and enders.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Trina in San Antonio11:08 AM EST

    Bonnie, the workshop may have been shortened and condensed down but it was still a great time. Thank you for showing us lefties how to use the EZ Angle correctly.
    Your friend in quilting,
    Trina in SA

    Come back soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's amazing what the moving of a single piece and the spinning of a block can do. I love this, it is on the list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just a question. What is the plug in at bottom of this page? It doesn't work on my Samsung devices. Not a problem. Just curious. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just a question. What is the plug in at bottom of this page? It doesn't work on my Samsung devices. Not a problem. Just curious. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love these glimpses into your workshops...I am on the wait list for June 2015 in Sacramento region. Fingers crossed!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I LOVE that block! So interesting what a simple turn of direction within the block can do! Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know our table had a ton of fun even though the day was short. Lots of tips, tricks and singing along to the oldies...and a few show tunes on the side:)
    Thank you ~
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  11. ...And a group of us from both classes got together before the workshop and had a fun day of scrap swapping and strip cutting too:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love that block!! So much fun learning how to use the easy angle while I worked on my Grand Illusion MQ. Texas looks a bit warmer that the rest of the country; hang out and enjoy it a bit!

    ReplyDelete
  13. If you can, visit Creations Quilt shop in Kerrville. I can't wait to get back there. The ladies are so sweet and there is so much wonderful fabric there. My credit card is still smoking from a stop there in 2012.
    Donna in sunny and warm Oregon

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love all this !!! What a beautiful quilt. On my list now... : D Shirley Shingara ? How did you get on Sacramento's wait list. I looked but am not a member and have to wait until May to sign up. Are you a member?

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)