>>>>

Tuesday, September 17, 2013

The Umpqua Quilters & The String Spider Web!

I have given classes in just about every kind of venue you can think of.  Our class yesterday was at the community center in the town of Winston, Oregon, just out of Roseburg.

I don’t get the opportunity to teach in the North West very much --- but here I am in Oregon for the second time this year, the first time being with Quiltmaker Magazine’s Block Party last March.

I have never been to Eugene, Roseburg, Grants Pass or Medford.  This is a trip of many firsts in a state that I love very much!

The Hubster was born in Ontario, Oregon.  Both of my boys were born in Oregon, Jason in Nyssa, and Jeff in Ontario.  The family ties to this state are strong……

Yet THIS side of Oregon, is a part I’ve never been!  There is a dividing line in Oregon…..and it follows the time change line.  Ontario is in Mountain time.  Mountain time covers a very small portion of the eastern part of the state.  I am in Pacific time here….so it always felt like there were TWO Oregons.  The Eastern one, and everywhere else!

We were so excited to have many visitors in class yesterday ----Some from as far as California and many from all over the state.  It made for a fun day as everyone got to know each other throughout the day.

Roseburg_OR2013 052

Bonnie-fied Quilters!

A special treat for Edna on the left – this class was a special trip gifted by her daughter ((on the left)) for her 90th birthday!  Edna is quite the quilter, and a fun gal to be around.  I really enjoyed these ladies, and I think we made Edna’s day complete when we all sang happy birthday to her!

Roseburg_OR2013 048

I am writing this late at night before going to bed, and am having a complete brain warp on names – I apologize!  She brought in her 1922 Singer model 66 with Red-eye decals --- isn’t she a beauty??  I love the wooden base with the fold out extension bed…..what a beautiful machine!

group1

We stopped at the end of the day for a group photo!

I hope you enjoy the slide show of our class progress.  Click the image below if you can’t view the slide show on your mobile device.
September 17, 2013

You will find the tutorial for the String Spiderweb under the free patterns tab at the top of the blog!

After the workshop I was driven down to Grants Pass where I am spending the next couple of days with the Mountain Stars Quilters of  Rogue River!

Today we will be busy with a Jamestown Landing class in Medford where the class is being held -- stay tuned for more Oregon Adventures!


Click Here to like our Quiltville Friends Page on Facebook for more fun!

8 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday to Edna! She looks to young to be 90, thanks for sharing Bonnie!

    Gwen

    ReplyDelete
  2. WHAT FUN!!!!! I get to Play with Jacks, and My BLUE HEAVEN on Valentine's day! :-) those workshops cant get here fast enough! *~*CAROLE*~*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, you're in my home town! I'm jealous (:

    ReplyDelete
  4. Uhmmmm! I am falling way behind on my collection of strings from looking at the photos! Guess I have been sewing too much and not cutting enough! Guess it will all even out eventually!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't know you were from Oregon. Have lived here most of my life. My dad started out being stationed at Camp Adair (a military base between Monmouth and Corvallis). We lived in Albany then (with a short visit to Germany when I was a teenager - a little over a year) until I graduated. I moved up and down the valley (depending on the job I had at the time) and settled in Beaverton where I married my husband and settled down to raise two children in Aloha. We have been in our house since 1978! I felt really old yesterday when the young man who came to work on our cable said that was two years before he was born! YIKES! I am getting old! Oregon is so beautiful, not sure there is anyplace else I would want to live - close to the beach, valley and desert. Since I cant be at your class today, I am going to put a friends quilt on my long arm. She is having a tuff time with her son (legally) and could use a treat - the back just fits the quilt so I will have to add extenders all the way around --- fun, fun, fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. whee, one of my favorite patterns! love that complete top with the white and black . I'm guessing that was finished before it was brought to class. that or they have some really fast quilters out there in Eastern Oregon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. At first glance, the name of the group looked like Oompa-Loompa Quilters.

    ReplyDelete
  8. love these blocks! Lucky ladies that get to do them with you Bonnie. But I must say that my favorite is the quilt made with the white and black outlines. That one photo makes them look like colourful faceted jewels. Hmmmm...must remember this as I WILL make this quilt at some point in the near future.

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)