>>>>

Saturday, August 18, 2012

It’s a Guilford County block!


I got my errands done this morning, including two trips to the post office to make sure everyone’s books get out!

There is a notice on the website now, and on the book ordering pages that any book orders that come in between August 19th ((tomorrow)) and September 2nd will be sent out in the order that they were received upon my return from Bali.

That left me some play time this afternoon and I just…well..I just…..

I just had to MAKE ONE!

I really loved this quilt at the antique mall, but I don’t have room for it, and I bought Doris instead --- so I made a test block..sewing along with Doris!

I also think this block would look awesome in the more modern fabrics because it is so big and chunky!

When I first looked at this block I thought of it as an uneven 9 patch with a square in a square in the center.

But if you look at it closer…the center is actually a “King’s Crown” type of block on point in the middle with pieced corners sewn on.

I drafted it in a 12” finished size…which STILL seems huge to me, but it is in keeping with the feel of the original quilt--- so hey!

Maybe I’ll try it in an 8” Maybe I’ll go down to 6”?

The one thing I wanted to be sure I did was work it in a size that used as many “easy to cut” normal sized strips as possible.

And this is what I’ve come up with. I used a solid that was more gold than orange –I had maybe a yard of it, so we’ll see how far it will get me!

For printer friendly version, CLICK HERE!

For one block cut:

guilford county 001

From Cheddar cut:

(4) 3-1/2” squares

(4) half-square triangles from a 3-1/2” strip using the 3-1/2” line on the easy angle ruler. ((OR—(2) 3 7/8” squares cut once on the diagonal to yield 4 triangles))

(4) 2-5/8” squares

From Blue cut:

(8) half-square triangles from a 3-1/2” strip using the 3-1/2” line on the easy angle ruler. ((OR—(4) 3 7/8” squares cut once on the diagonal to yield 8 triangles))

(8) quarter square triangles cut from 2” strips using the companion angle ruler and the 2” line on the ruler. (( OR--- (2) 4-1/4” squares cut with an X to yield 8 quarter square triangles.

The photo above looks like there are 4 -- but there are 4 pairs totaling 8 triangles above!

(1) 4-3/4” square

guilford county 002

Inner Block!

Flying Geese units:

Use 4 of the cheddar half square triangles and the 8 quarter square triangles to make 4 flying geese units. Press seams toward the blue fabric.

These will be odd sized and measure 2 5/8” X 4 3/4”. Be careful in handling and pressing as there will be bias on ALL EDGES. Starching before cutting can help you here. They are cut this way so that the straight of grain will go with the edge of the block when the pieced corners are added.

Arrange units as shown in photo above and stitch the inner block. Press.

guilford county 003

Pieced Corners!

Following diagram above, make 4 pieced corners by sewing the blue half square triangles to two sides of the (4) 3-1/2” squares. Press seams toward the wing triangles.

guilford county 004

Block Assembly!

Add the 4 pieced corner triangles to the block. I like to add one triangle, and then add the triangle on the opposite side. ((Think 9 o’clock & 3 o’clock!)) and then press carefully. Trim dog ears and add the remaining two corners in the same manner. Press.

Block should measure 12-1/2” at this point and finish at 12” in the quilt.

guilford county 005

Guilford County! Tada!

16 comments:

  1. Wanted to let you know, have just spent the day at the Festival of Quilts (Birmingham, England) and your String Fling book was completely sold out everywhere - they said it had been really popular. I think you need to come over here to teach at the FoQ!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bonnie I am so happy we have quilting instructions again. I would love to catch you live but the time zone difference.....your instructions have spoilt me for all magazine instructions. Safe travels and have fun in Bali.
    Cheers Dorothea

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely! But i think its an Orange County block!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are absolutely amazing. With all you have to do to get ready for Bali, you go make up free block directions for us. That quilt pattern must have really bitten you badly. Have a great time in Bali. Sue K

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous3:47 PM EDT

    Hi Bonnie, it's Bobbi from AL, thanks for working up the block pattern for Guilford County, when you posted the quilt earlier I knew I wanted to figure that block out, but I had a customer quilt to get done. And lo and behold I came back to see what was new on your blog and there it was! Thanks a big bunch!
    mrsrlbills@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. that is a really cool pattern. I too was eyeing it thinking what do I have that will work w that......thanks for figuring out the instructions for us. course i am only 4-6 projects behind starting anything new....like that ever stopped me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very fun block...can see why you wanted to draft it up! Thanks for sharing...enjoy your time in Bali! (Tell Sharon (a guild member who is going) to relax and enjoy...but also to take lots of photos!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous4:15 PM EDT

    Should be grocery shopping, butttttttttttt, making this block seems like a better idea. Enjoy Bali,looking forward to learning all about it when you return.
    Thanks for the printer friendly version.
    Lynda, Chicago

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you thank you thank you!!!! I was drooling over that quilt this moring, trying to figure out how the pieces fit together.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can see this worked up as a Christmas quilt. Definately on my to do list!

    Travel safe and have fun in Bali!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just had to start something new didn't you? Pink and green border getting boring? Have a safe trip to Bali.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous5:32 PM EDT

    If you do make it smaller will you share the cutting sizes? I'm a fan of the SMALL block. I really like this one. Have not seen one like it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Bonnie...just jumped on to read the latest here and totally "ditto" everything Sue K. said above - here you are getting ready for Bali and yet you did all this for us because you had a 'few minutes' - you are truly one amazing gal! I don't want time to pass too quickly, but can not WAIT until March of 2015 and your Florida visit! Have a beautiful breathtaking time in Bali!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous11:58 AM EDT

    Bonnie you aare amazing lol - 'let me just whip this little block' and by the way, come up with the cutting sizes too!!! WOWOW, you must eat something special i can not get hold of lolol.

    John's way-back Granddad fought in the American Revolution at GUILDFORD COURTHOUSE!!! We have visited. It ia national park destination. Quiet and serene today, just sent goosebumps up and down my arms to imagine all those years back.

    So you KNOW I am going to make a GUILDFORD COUNTY quilt ala Bonnie K., lol

    THANK YOU FOR THIS ONE
    JulieinTN

    ReplyDelete
  15. Bonnie, thanks for sharing this. I just inherited some brushed plaid FQs. Think I'll turn them into blocks like this one!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a lovely block. Thank you Bonnie, you are so good to us quilters xx

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)