>>>>

Friday, August 09, 2013

Collaboration Celebration–Let’s Party!

I never got a spare moment to send any other updates during the day yesterday –what a blur!

I met Mickey at the airport and our run around began.  Lunch at Moes, a stop at Hobby Lobby for some necessary items, Staples for pattern copies, Post office to drop off some stuff I’m sending ahead to Seattle for next weekend’s cruise, stop by my house to pick up some rulers I forgot, and off to Downtown Winston Salem we went to go set up for this shindig!

This photo is my favorite one of the bunch – Sew Sisters Lisa & Karen have done such a bang up job with this whole event – I was FLOORED with how wonderful it is, but really, I know I couldn’t expect anything less than fabulous from these two. 

We had a reception and meet and greet in one of the suites at 4:00pm ---there were munchies and beverages, and people meeting people, smiling faces, many different accents – they came from all over!

Silly me --- or could it be jet-lagged me ---forgot my box of String Fling books, so during dinner time Mickey and I ran back out to Wallburg, about 20 minutes away, to retrieve the books and grab a bite to eat.

Then it was back to the Embassy Suites to set up for our evening lecture to really kick this thing into gear!

I handed my phone to one of our ladies to catch the activity ---our lecture? Not the usual!  We brought several of our earlier quilts……Mickey and I are as different as night and day in some ways, but in others, we fall right into each other’s pocket ---and the different dynamics combine to make this such a fun event.

You think YOUR first quilts were ugly? You ain't seen nuthin' yet!

If the photos are blurry, know that it is because it is hard to catch us standing still, and the lighting wasn’t the greatest.

I’m sure you can guess which quilts are mine…..they are all from the early to mid 1980s range – poly blend fabric and all. One of them is of antique blocks I set together WITH 1980s fabric when I didn’t know better –we live and we learn!

Mickey also has one from that time period,  as well as several in chronological order to her current piecing project. 

If you can’t view the slide show on your mobile device, click the image below to be taken directly to the photo album.  Enjoy!
Collaboration Celebration Opening 2013

Today begins classes! Our ladies will be divided into two groups...each group gets Friday with one teacher, and Saturday with the other ---instead of students moving rooms as it usually is at a large quilt show -- our students get to stay where they are, and on day two, the TEACHERS will switch rooms!

Have a great Friday, everyone -- I know we will!


Click Here to like our Quiltville Friends Page on Facebook for more fun!

11 comments:

  1. Darn I should have registered for this great looking weekend! Looks like a great time, I hope you can relax and enjoy your teaching gig there.....you are on a real wild quilting travel adventure this summer!

    Happy Sewing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like everyone is having fun, sure wish I could have gone!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad you will have family time soon. I new you were in Alaska last week and next week you will be back again on the cruise. Get some sleep soon. I think your vacation home will be calling you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. so --the collaboration is the two of you teaching? why didnt I get tickets for this event? Loved the slide show Bonnie and the quilts didnt look that bad at all--in fact, I would be honored to have any one of them! I cant tell you how excited I am to meet you in February! I had a fabulous time while Mickey was here...have a wonderful weekend--I look forward to more posts and pics! *~*CAROLE*~*

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just 2-3 quilts were if-fy lol. Most were really great looking.

    We all started quilting at one time in our lives. Tuck the first few in a trunk to take out when a new quilter moans about her attempts. You and she will have a lot of laughs, and it will also ease her tension.

    Have a super weekend
    Smilies
    JulieinTN

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great idea Julie, as a new quilter, I only started 9 months ago, it can be intimidating to constantly see perfect quilts. I love them all but am a little scared that I will never reach that level of expertise! I see this as one downfall of being a "modern quilter" teaching yourself through you tube and books, there is nobody to encourage your attempts. I do two classes, any more are price limiting, which are great but only one day a month. So seeing these quilts that Bonnie did are great, if someone of her brilliance once made mistakes it's ok for the rest of us to experiment!
      Hope everyone has a great weekend.
      Julie (Australia)

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the great slideshow. This is in Winston Salem? Wish I could have attended. Maybe someday......Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know how grest the QM Block Party was with you, I have such great memories from there. I figured it was my once in a lifetime event. Thanks for sharing all those 1st quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh you guys are going to have so much fun -- wish I was there instead of working

    ReplyDelete
  9. You all look you are having a whale of a time. I am sew determined to make it to one of your classes.

    I do have a question. What is so wrong with piecing antique blocks with 1980's fabric?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous12:50 AM EDT

    super les filles!
    les ouvrages traditionnels sont très beaux, mais grand bravo pour les "tasses" les "poissons" et la "grenouille", ils sont très originaux

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)