>>>>

Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Jamestown Landing, Medford Style!

RogueRiver_OR2013 006
 Every once in a blue moon you come across something extremely rare.

This is a 1939 “crinkle finish” featherweight.  Notice that there are NO decals….just 3 striated grooves at the front of the machine bed, and a black crinkle finished face plate – also with the 3 distinctive grooves.

There were very few of these made, and it was fun to spend a bit of time oohing and ahhing over her in class!

Contrary to popular speculation – crinkle finish featherweights were NOT made for the war effort.  Singer made many models with the crinkle finish – 66’s and 99's and 128's…but the crinkle featherweight was more an object of fashion and the style of the day than function as far as the military was concerned.

RogueRiver_OR2013 005

Long view of the bed!

RogueRiver_OR2013 007

So fun to see!

I've had a couple of black side featherweights in class over the years…remember this one HERE?  But this is the first time I've seen a crinkle, also known as Godzilla,  face to face!

Yesterday’s class was Jamestown Landing ---always a great time.  I love it when light bulbs go on when explaining things to students, and they soak up the hints and techniques like a thirsty sponge ---I love it when they are having a ball with the string piecing and when their half square triangles turn out perfect on the first try with the Easy Angle ruler ---

There were cheers all around as everyone held up their  first completed blocks.

The variety of colors for the quilts was SO INSPIRING!  Take a look at the slide show below to see what we got up to….Orange, Red, Purple, Green, Blue, Black, Brown, you name it……they were sewing with it!

Click the image below if you can’t view the slide show on your mobile device.  You will be taken directly to the photo album.  But believe me, it’s worth visiting these on the REAL computer big screen to really see what was going on!
Jamestown Landing, Medford OR 2013
This morning we head back to Medford from where I am staying in Grant's Pass for another workshop...this time it's Cathedral Stars. There will be a lot of practice with both the Easy Angle ruler and Tri-Recs....and a whole lot of visiting and laughing and chatting as well as sewing the day away in the company of friends!
 

Click Here to like our Quiltville Friends Page on Facebook for more fun!

7 comments:

  1. What a beautiful bunch of ladies and the colors are just stunning. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this pattern. Which book is it in. I love the color combinations the ladies were using

    ReplyDelete
  3. this pattern is in STRING FLING -- I just received mine on Monday! :-) LOVE the pretty girl from 1939--my 1948 is in pretty sad shape compared to the ones you find or see. But she is my little girl and I am taking her to a friend's this am so we can play! :-) *~*CAROLE*~*

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH Blue, white and cream/tans quilt color are so much my favorite. Jamestown is gorgeous,on my to-do list.

    Bonnie to are a wealth of info on antique sewing machines! When you 'get time lol" write a book on your machines. I would run out to buy one. So good to know these old achiness keep working and keep helping made beautiful quilts.

    Smiles, JulieinTN

    ReplyDelete
  5. OOOh, I have always wanted to see one of these in real life! Did she say where it came from, does she know it's story?
    Love this quilt design, and I so love to see your classes. Inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bonnie, thank you so much for sharing pictures of machines and quilts. I didn't know a featherweight like that existed - now I want to find one - will probably take quite a bit of searching. I learned about a place on the coast road between Eugene and Florence -- he restores old machines and sells them -- definitely on my list of places the next time I am in Eugene.

    www.stagecoachroadsewing.com
    (541)268-9080
    mike@raventones.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. YOU ARE IN GRANTS PASS!!!! WAIT!!!! I LIVE IN GRANTS PASS!!!! DON'T LEAVE!!!!WHERE ARE YOU!!!!

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)