>>>>

Monday, December 22, 2014

In Search of…CAROL CANDLISH! ((And Christmas Sewing!))



One week ago we announced the winner of Sujatah Shah’s Cultural Fusion Quilts.  Carol Candlish was our winner, only her only means of contact was via google+ because her profile didn’t link to her email address.

I thought this was going to be fine if I just messaged her through google+ asking her to email me with her snail mail address so we could get her prize book to her, but there has been no reply.

Either she really doesn’t use gmail or google+ as more than just a way to comment on blogger, or perhaps she is off for the holidays and unreachable.

At any rate, if anyone out there knows Carol Candlish, please pass on word that we are looking for her and would love to get this prize to her.

If we do not hear, we will be drawing again.


This is why it is SO important to leave your email address on a comment on a blog giveaway.  Just a heads up next time you enter somewhere, even if you think your profile shows your email address, test it, and if all else fails, just leave your email address in the comment! 

Life would be so much easier…..and we could spend so much more time QUILTING, right??

20141206_074137-1

Let it FOG, Let it FOG, Let it FOG!!

Somehow that doesn’t sound near as fun as "Let it Snow!"  And it is so foggy that we can’t get out there on the ATVs either….but temps are only in the high 30s and that doesn’t sound like much fun for going off road anyway…so I’ve stayed in and SEWED MY BRAINS OUT!

20141221_131027-1

I’ve been busy sewing red & green things!

This is a block that will appear in my Addicted to Scraps column NEXT Nov/Dec with Quiltmaker Magazine.  I know.  It’s hard to sew a year out, but at least I am sewing red and green during Christmastime when I feel like it, instead of cramming it in August when I don’t.  I’m a very seasonal girl and find it hard to work on Christmas things when it isn’t Christmas.  Are you that way?

20141222_091550-1

I’m even making little tiny 4 patches..in vintage Christmas fabrics!

I’ve been having a ball playing with these red and green scraps, some dating back into the 1980s.  What memories they hold!  And I really love the true red and greens from that time period.  Today the orangey reds and the more aqua or limey greens are fun, but they are just not as traditional to me.  I’ve mixed some in….for variety, but really good Christmas fabrics will always be really good Christmas fabrics.

20141222_134205-1

Quilt Inspector, passed out on the job!

I was able to finish this top ---it’s for the next book as well, and you know I am plugging along trying to get all the projects done before it is time to turn in everything this coming summer.  It takes a long time to make 12 to 13 quilts to fill a book, and then all the writing has to happen too.  It’s a lot of behind the scenes work so you may get glimpses of recognizable units here and there, like in this pieced border, but I hope you’ll understand and be excited anyway though I can’t show you the whole thing.

When I have a pieced border, I like to stay stitch around the edge of the quilt with a large straight stitch.  It helps keep borders from stretching, and helps keep those seams from popping open during the quilting/binding process as well.  Give it a try.  I do it just a bit less than 1/4” away from the edge so the binding will cover the stay stitching.

Tomorrow….I’ll be sewing on something new.  I get to start a new book project and I’m really excited about it.

In the summer I’ll be doing some taping with Quiltmaker for some video workshops!  We will be offering a series of 6 workshops featuring quilts made from the blocks in my Addicted to Scraps column.  I’m already planning on which quilts would be great as online workshops, and I need to make my step outs and blocks and then onto full tops to be demo quilts for the tapings in August.  These quilts will also go in the next book, so yes, there are a lot of irons in the fire.

My plan is to spend time off KITTING projects so that I can sew on the road because I’ve got a busy travel schedule that kicks off one week from today.

Can I get an extension on December please?  It needs to last just a bit longer!

100 or so of you have shared your Part 4 link ups for Grand Illusion HERE!  More are coming in, and will come in through the week, so please check back and see what everyone is accomplishing on our on going mystery project.  Entries will continue until 11:55pm on CHRISTMAS DAY.  If you miss that one, don’t worry, you can catch up on the following Monday.

I think that’s it for tonight..I’m going to go clean up the red & green and pull out something NEW!

Have a great evening ---


Click Here to like our Quiltville Friends Page on Facebook for more fun!

Click Here to join our sister group, Quiltville's Open Studio on Facebook, a place to Sew, Share & Grow!!

12 comments:

  1. I'm afraid I don't know Carol. The red and green are beautiful-I have a hard time working on things out of season also! Just finished my tree skirt and matching stockings. I'm just a beginner, so they're not fancy, but I'm having a ball!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like some great designs in the works! So glad that your newest top passed the Sadie test. Merry Christmas and thank you for everything. I am having a blast with the mystery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you beat the energizer bunny..yule tidings of good cheer to you and yours.
    Sharyn in Kalama

    ALL clues finished as of today. Ah Friday...I love to have things to look forward to. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stay stitching is a very good thing to know about and to do. My longarm quilter requires it when there is a pieced border, so I am in the hab.it now Happy fogginess!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry but I don't know the lucky winner Carol either. I bet she is off on Christmas vacation visiting with relatives. Your red and green looks great! I think Sadie passed this one in the Quilt dept and then needed a little catnap! Lol have a great time sewing things up , see you in Texas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here I am! I see that I won the book and I am very happy about Where should I send my addy?
    Carol Candlish
    libertythreads@charter.net

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, you are one busy lady. I can't wait for your new book to come out. I have been loving the red, green, and neutral 1/4 square triangle units and am anxious to see the quilt. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hooray! You found Carol.

    Though the pattern is rather well hidden I love your beautiful Christmas Quilt. I'm very excited about your upcoming online workshop series...and the new book!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm really so lucky. No one comes here over the holiday. I go to DD's for dinner and my birthday sooooo I get to sew then entire holiday season. I don't decorate much. DH does the outside. I'm set. But I'm still behind on the mystery clues. Have a little of each done.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Bonnie, I'm the same way too . . . only like to work on holiday stuff ON the designated holiday. I figure at some point, the holiday will find the project finished. Your passed out quilt inspector made me chuckle. I'll do my part to help you out with your kitted projects, my two-tone "Bellaire Betz" Singer 301 is serviced and ready to go while you are with us in Texas. Merry Christmas and see you soon! Safe travel and hugs, Allison in Plano, TX

    ReplyDelete
  11. HELP Bonnie! I followed your (bad) example and found a singer 301 here in the southwest. She says it runs unless it is unplugged...(foot pedal stuck?) but only wants $50.00 What do you think? My maintenance guy used to work for Singer, so he might look at it for me. But is that too much?
    Thanks
    craftygramma

    ReplyDelete
  12. So I have now started a bin for Christmas fabrics so when the book comes out I can make this Christmas quilt. I look forward to seeing it!

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)