>>>>

Friday, July 06, 2012

Tea Party at Grandma’s!

There are 8 of us siblings all together. When you add in spouses and children, it’s a whole gaggle of family, just the way we like it!

Only --- the older I get, the tireder I get and I’ve come to realize that

1.) My mom is TIRELESS as a Grandma

and

2.) I’m glad I had my kids when I was young enough to keep up with them!

This afternoon all the girl cousins ((plus my nephew Porter who wouldn't let his sister have all the fun and not join in too!)) were treated to a tea party on the back deck of the house.

idaho2012 479

Being as all REAL tea parties consist of white gloves, fancy hats and lots and lots of fun necklaces, the girls were anxious to play dress up for the festivities! This has become a much looked forward to event at Grandma’s house ---tea party time.

Tea parties are serious business. You have to use your best manners. You have to eat your food with care. You must not splash or spill your tea ((aka. lemonade!)) on the table cloth or on yourself, and you must say please and thank you.

idaho2012 480

It’s a hoot to watch the kids trying so hard with their polite manners --- but play time is how we learn real time. There are lessons to be learned through tea party play!

idaho2012 481

Knowing that all these cousins are building memories to last through their lifetimes – and that these memories will keep them connected long after we adults have passed to the next tea-party-in-the-sky makes me smile!

My memories of growing up with my cousins are so vivid and so important to me --- this next generation will hopefully keep these kind of special activities going on with their children as generations come and go ----

But we aren’t thinking that deep right now --- we don’t need to tell them WHY we are doing this ---we are just out here, having fun together!

21 comments:

  1. So much fun!! Your mom sounds GREAT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful tradition! The girls are too cute! Little ladies in waiting ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How darling! I certainly hope they all learn to drink their tea with their pinkie fingers extended out in a proper way. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous7:55 PM EDT

    You have 7 sibs?? Wow, your mom is a saint, haha! Have fun...

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cute tradition. Those young ones will have beautiful memories of their special time together. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a wonderful tradition- Your children would have had a terrific afternoon- I think I would have loved playing tea party with grandma and all her beautiful dishes. Thanks for sharing this lovely idea.
    Regards from Western Canada,
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just love reading your post, you have a great connection with your family....your Moms
    gardens are beautiful. Have fun with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, Bonnie----how precious, how adorable---what a wonderful family! Never, never change! Love your post and those charming pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How how adorable!
    when you have grandchildren you will find more energy!
    it is true ( ask your mother) you get such a kick out of them
    you can't help yourself...( ask your friend Randy ;0)).
    I can play all day with my granddaughter :0)

    Happy sewing and family time too

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous10:06 PM EDT

    Thank you for sharing your family with us. God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous10:07 PM EDT

    That sounds and looks like so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks, Bonnie. It is so enjoyable to "hear" you relaxing and enjoying your family. It seemed like time for a break for you. Your Mother's garden is incredible, via your former post. Just hoping you continue to enjoy this respite......Kath

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous10:58 PM EDT

    I'm jealous, you seem to be having so much fun. When you become a grandparent you get much more energy, I don't know where it comes from but I have two grandsons and I love being with them and am lucky enough to live close by and am with them four days out of the week.

    Have fun....
    Judy
    judyquiltz@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my gosh, those girls are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  15. They are so stinking adorable!! I think you need to get a top hat or tie, maybe vest for the little guy :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a lovely gathering of family! The girls are just the sweetest in their hats and gloves. Porter getting in on the fun too! Good that you can take a breather and just enjoy the relaxation to recharge your batteries. I have just flown over from the UK to spend a week in Sisters. Hope to bump into you there and tell you just how much pleasure your blog and books have given me.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your posting and pictures evoked memories of my own childhood. Growing up within blocks of my relatives (aunts, uncles, cousins) we spent a LOT of time together. Holidays always included either a visit from or a visit to one of the relative's houses. To this day (I am in my 60's) I think of my cousins as an extension of my siblings ~ we often see each other and our own children spent time with their cousins ~ trying to carry on the tradition. Good post!

    ReplyDelete
  18. YES, Cousins are the BEST! I made a long road trip to witness the marriage of one of my Cousin's children. I got to see 4 of my 'favorite' cousins and even got to take pictures. I can hardly wait to BLOG them. I always went to stay with their family in the best summers of my childhood. We were reminiscing about that. 18 hours on the road makes me TIRED and ACHY though. It's heck getting old.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Many of my favorite childhood memories include my cousins. Thanks for sharing those beautiful young ones enjoying the tea party.

    ReplyDelete
  20. So cute and fun. I just returned from an extended family camp-out, an annual tradition. We love seeing our grandchildren forming bonds with their cousins, as we did at our reunions as children. First cousins in our day had been close from the start, but as we move a generation away and people spread out more, we have to work to get everyone together and create opportunities for bonds to form.

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)