>>>>

Friday, July 06, 2012

Revisiting Memories---

Stepping into Mom’s house is like going back in time.

The first night, before the onslaught of the many ((They weren’t to arrive until July 5th in the evening)) Jason, Joy, Andrew, Rick and I stayed at moms. There are SO many of us that the small mountain top house can not contain us ALL – but the first night there was room.

Jason, Andrew and Rick stayed in the borrowed 5th wheel motor home in the driveway –on loan from a neighbor who offered it to provide more sleeping space for the multitudes!

I stayed in a downstairs bedroom – and when I walked in I was greeted by this quilt I had made mom circa 1990-something. The block pattern is called Mountain Thistle. I do not have a pattern for it. I may re-write it up at some point – but that’s way back burner right now. ((I only say this because I know there will be a slam-dunk of emails saying they have searched the website and can’t find the pattern for it and where is it. Not now. Not yet! Someday. :c) ))

idaho2012 323

I made this while living in Burley, Idaho – and I had my quilting frame set up in our bay window of the house so I could sit and hand quilt after kids left for school in the mornings. It took a LONG time to quilt! In fact, this is the last quilt that ever adorned that 3 rail frame….I learned that I do better on a sofa with a hoop in my lap. Being at the frame kept me in another room from family, and I prefer to be able to turn a hoop to quilt in multiple directions.

I searched the archives and found this pic of the quilting in progress:

thistleframe

Having that quilt in a frame sitting in the bay window area also caused some fading to happen to those lovely 1980s and 1990s fabrics ---OH WELL! You can’t keep a quilt safe from sunlight forever?

idaho2012 324

Even in the 1990s I was brave ---I quilted this whole quilt with navy thread. You can’t see it in the photos, but there are double lines of quilting echoing the squares in the paw areas, both in the burgundy and the navy.

There are other evidences of my early quilting years hanging around Mom’s house…some pieces have my early machine quilting on them ---and those quilts have been loved and used and loved and used and washed and dried and loved and used again – their fabrics fading to a very soft and gentle patina that only a well loved quilt can attain. It’s fun to see them after so many years ----most of them I had forgotten about! But they still are there visible every day in my mom’s house.

I also love the abundance of family photos all over the walls – some of my ancestors dating back to as early as photography was available. Humble people I never knew, yet their blood runs through my veins. Many many pics of all the grandchildren –and in this huge family, I find my place amongst them.

The “Younger” generation ((which means anyone younger than me, but older than 12)) are out on a white water rafting trip.

Feeding this multitude takes a lot of time and planning --- so I’m headed to the kitchen to help feed the army.

This afternoon my inlaws, my brother and sister in law, my nephew and his family all belonging to DH’s side of the family are on their way up to visit. Can’t wait to see them!

Needless to say --- not a stitch has been sewn since I left the airplane in Boise! And that’s perfectly fine with me.

Oh yeah, and before you think I am homeless without a place to sleep now:

idaho2012 414

We’ve overflowed into the cabin of a friend just down the road!

Joy, Andrew, Jason, my brother Mark, his son Spencer, and myself are bunking HERE! We only have one rule ---no one under 17 allowed ---us old folks aren’t used to dealing with so many young ones! LOL! My Sister Mary, her hubby Kelly and their 3 kids have taken over the 5th wheel – and the kids like “Camping” in Grandma’s driveway. Mom’s house is now wall to wall air mattresses as everyone else arrives and covers every available floor space ---Yes, this makes for a CLOSE knit family!

16 comments:

  1. Bonnie, your family sounds like mine. Went to visit my grandmother in Ky with my mom and siblings, at least 5 of them. No one knew we were coming. Got there Friday late, and by noon or so Saturday there was a total of 56 other releatives there. Aunts and Uncles cousins. a good time was had by all. This was way back in the early 60's.
    Enjoyu your family all you can.!1

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Now that's a big family! Thank you for sharing! You're mom's home is quickly becoming my dream home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am from a family of 8 children. I miss the get togethers we used to have :/ It is beautiful there. Boise is on my bucket list. I have to say I am in LOVE with the quilt. I am an old fashioned kind of girl and love the old standards. Bearpaw is one I want to do. I love this take on it. Hoping you move this one to a front burner, lol. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well if I have it figured out, the blue paws are 6.5 and the red paws are 4.5 set with corner triangles.... it is lovely!!!! What a wonderful memory.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aloha, Jo4:55 PM EDT

    Beautiful quilt and pictures good enough to allow any over achiever who doesn't want to wait for a pattern to draft out the basic 9 patch with bear paws to the size of their choosing.
    Enjoy the time with your family...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know why I never figured out that I could quilt in a round hoop on the couch until I read it on your blog. I use a Q-snap frame and would always be sliding it around to go opposite directions. You have made my quilting so much easier!
    I live close to all my family but have never enjoyed get togethers where the women folk are stuck in the kitchen :] (maybe I'm too lazy and don't cook) But I think it is wonderful that you are having fun with your family. Your mom sounds like a wonderful woman.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love love love the log cabin where you are staying. Can I come see it??????????? Sue K Valpo IN

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm with you ... I prefer to hand quilt in with the rest of my family (which is now just my hubby) ... using a lap hoop that I can turn in any direction to be able to stitch easily/well. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous7:21 PM EDT

    Thanks for this post, Bonnie. It was a great, sentimental read. Love the pick of the "antique" quilt from your early days -- good memories. Have a wonderful time with family.
    Faye in Maine

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great family to get together liks that and share the floor space! I so remember yrs of hoop quilting on my lap. memories....That quilt is beautiful BTW.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a quilt you mADE YOUR mOTHER SO MANY years ago. Your quilts wonderful but in Navy thread.? Can;t tell it in the picture. Sounds like a wonderful family time. I think you GOT a terrific cabin to sleep in. Just have a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous9:13 PM EDT

    You are born to quilt, Bonnie! Love hearing about your family ! Have a great time......!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So glad you are having such a wonderful family reunion! You deserve that family time. Love the tea party post. I used to make my nieces and nephew (who are closer in age to me than my siblings) have a tea party with my blue willow china dish set. My DD still has the tea set. I remember lots of cheese/crackers and lemonade and pickles at our tea parties. Love the 1990 quilt. So beautiful and so special that your mom uses all the beautiful things you gift her with!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bonnie;
    Hope you know a lot about the family ancestry- sounds worthwhile remembering all the nice bits from decades ago!
    Question: do you make quilts with family photographs in them? I have seen a few around at different shows they are so special.Thanks
    Marietta

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm looking at floor plans for cottages.....any chance you'll have some interior pictures of this cabin you're bunking in?????????? Would love to see it!

    Plus - I'm absolutely astounded that you could find the old picture of that bed quilt still in the frame 'back in the day' - there are pictures in folders on my computer that I may never see again!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Bonnie that quilting is just amazing to say the least. Love it.

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)