>>>>

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Hello from Falling Stars Farm!

Pennsylvania is a very big state! It’s big side to side. It’s big top to bottom. It’s really big if you are going diagonally from Bedford to Wellsboro!

But how often does one get a chance to admire the beautiful scenery of the Allegheny mountains? Not very often, and let me tell you, it’s breathtaking countryside…

So beautiful that you won’t even mind it when your phone goes from connection to --- searching-----to ----- NO SERVICE for miles and miles and miles of mountain roads.

"UNPLUGGED AND LOVING IT!!" is my new motto!

Oh, and now I would like someone to explain to me why the big expensive built in GPS in Shamu can NOT find remote places and tells me that “turn by turn guidance” will not be provided --- but the $99 TomTom I used to have, and the maps program on my PHONE can get me ANYWHERE.

What’s up with that? So here I am in the middle of nowhere, using the car GPS as far as it will go, and then switching to phone maps to get me the rest of the way. I just don’t get it.

So it’s a good thing that the place is so dang beautiful, or I’d be more flustered about it than I am!

((Yeah, and how stupid to have to have a SPARE GPS just in case the one built in won’t get you where you are going?!))

PA_July2012 194

This is one of the other things I love about Pennsylvania --- BARNS! Round Barns, Red Barns, White Barns, Stone Barns --- love them all! I passed this one on the not-very-well-paved road where the GPS navigation ended, and had to pause for a picture. See those two birds on the wire? They are “On Line”. HA!

PA_July2012 179

This is Falling Stars Farm B&B! I’m here for 2 nights----and it is so beautiful here! When I first arrived, the owners were in town getting supplies – I was early --- and so I got to wait on those lovely white chairs on the front porch, and wander a bit around the yard.

PA_July2012 180

What do you think of when you see a tire swing?

PA_July2012 181

I remembered all those long summer days swinging and singing and having childhood friends twist the rope until it was so tight --- and letting it go so it spun around and around and around!

And yes, this is me, at 50 years old – trying out the swing again for old time’s sake. Good thing I didn’t break my leg, and why did I ever think this thing was comfortable to sit on? LOL

PA_July2012 175

The view from the house is spectacular…..and oh how I love Queen Anne’s Lace! It’s my favorite road-side wild flower….and I remember as a young girl going through the patches of Queen Anne’s Lace and trying to find the biggest one…..who could find the biggest one?

PA_July2012 178

This one, I think! Isn’t it so pretty?

PA_July2012 192

Back at the house and all checked in, I wandered out to the top deck with my laptop and phone to get a bit of work done before heading out to my lecture. Would you choose the porch swing at the far end, or the glider bench part way down? I wanted my feet on the ground ---especially after that visit with the tire swing….it was the glider bench for me!

PA_July2012 191

My room is perfectly rustic and cozy!

PA_July2012 190

The perfect place to dream of quilts, scheme of quilts ----plot and plan!

Today is a My Blue Heaven workshop with the Mountain Laurel Quilters. From what I’ve been told we’ll have 27 students raring to go and learn some new skills with the Easy Angle and Companion Angle rulers! I’m so excited ----

Happy Tuesday, Everyone!

18 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:58 AM EDT

    Oh, man, Bonnie, you stay at the best places!!
    And the reason those tire swings don't fit like they used to is because our back sides no longer look like a ten-year-old's!! haha The quilting on that bed quilt is to die for....love it.
    I love PA as well, beautiful for traveling...have a wonderful time.
    Faye in Maine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the lovely tour.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a lovely place you are staying at - I have a front porch something like that and I make use of it as much as I can!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carol aka Sunshine Randall7:29 AM EDT

    Yes, lovely tour.... the B&B looks sooo comfy -- BUT how about a closer look at that quilt on your bed? :) From what I'm able to see in the pics, it's GORGEOUS (IMHO)and I, for one, would love a better look - I don't think I've ever seen one like it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. that's a loveley place! glad you have such good touristic moments during your hard work teaching trips
    hugs
    Brigitte

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous7:41 AM EDT

    In Tennessee, Queen Anne's Lace is called tickweed..guess why? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. My friend has a GPS in his car that he needs to buy the CD to update it every year. I have a portable GPS with lifetime updates via my computer. Maybe you need to purchase the CD to update your GPS software?

    ReplyDelete
  8. You know you're in Tioga County when the GPS and cell phone don't work! Great lecture last night!

    ReplyDelete
  9. AS much as I love living in Texas you have been making me homesick for the state where i was born. Used to spend a lot of time fishing near Wellsboro at the Grand Canyon of PA. Thanks for the memories, Bonnie.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is a beautiful area of PA-love it. And welcome to PA-that's not the only part of PA where GPS and cell phones don't work! Wish I could be there!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks beautiful!! Have fun today!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous10:06 AM EDT

    If Queen Anne's lace were a quilt, wouldn't it be a hexagon? That is why you like it.:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous7:53 AM EDT

      My first thought , exactly, when I got to that picture! LOL Suzanne in Maine

      Delete
  13. Oh, Bonnie, the pic of the barn pulls at my heart. I was raised in AZ, but summer vacations and my junior high years were spend about 85 miles east of Wellsboro. So many great memories, such beautiful, take-me-home scenery. Thanks for the nostalgia moment.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I absolutely love the name of this place! And it looks just as fun. We drove through PA a few years back and it is beautiful--and often "without service". Maybe those birds have the right idea--that is the only way to always be "online" there. : )

    ReplyDelete
  15. The bed is dressed to suit your life also. I love the way the quilting accents the big triangles on it. Is it vintage or a Reproduction? I'm sure you can tell.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I see there has already been another comment on the built in GPS. You will need to periodically buy a new CD for the latest updates. Did that in my van as roads are always changing and new ones added.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh cool!! I have that dresser in the second to last photo. Mine doesn't have the mirror tho. It belonged to my dad's mother so I've known it my whole life. As a child I thought that little door was just the coolest thing.

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)