>>>>

Thursday, July 05, 2012

Independence Day–Idaho Style!

This little mountain community where my mom and step-dad live is like no other. The Garden Valley/Crouch area is nestled in the mountains about an hour’s drive north of Boise.

After arriving in Boise, we went to visit with my brother, Scott and his family, we met up with my brother Mike and his friend and all grabbed lunch at a local Chinese place--- we were starving and chatting up a storm.

From there we stopped by the home of one of my highschool friends who had moved up here from California years ago --- they caught the update on my face book that I had landed and the message came through that “You BETTER include a visit to say hello while you are in town!” – so we bee-bopped over there because I don’t plan on spending time down in Boise at all—the next time I am down there will be Monday to catch my flight to Oregon!

From there we went to Mike’s where I got to meet my niece Elizabeth for the first time. What a doll baby! She is 14 months old now, walking everywhere –she says “hi!” and waves..and loves running away with everyone’s cell phones and car keys. My sis-in-law has been teaching her sign language ((teach them young to be bi-lingual!)) and she will sign when she is hungry, and she will sign “thank you!” It is the cutest thing!

And then --- up the mountain we went.

That’s where we stopped to take yesterday’s photos along the Payette River. THis is the most beautiful country up here. I’m not a fan of high desert, brown hills and no trees and stark naked rock where the only thing growing is sage brush --- but get into the mountains and you discover paradise!

My Aunt’s flight arrived into Boise at 7:30pm – so the instructions were for Jason, Rick and myself to meet Mom, Joy and my cousin Andrew in “town” just before fireworks time.

They do fireworks REALLY BIG up here! Honestly! I have never seen anything like it.

idaho2012 349

You KNOW you are in Idaho when you pass a pick up truck with a wooden camper on the back – adorned with a cattle skull complete with bling and mardi gras beads! Mom had to have her pic taken! LOL!

Let’s just say that in this little mountain town --- there is NO SUCH THING as illegal fireworks! This is the center of town ---and instead of everyone doing their own thing at their own homes, they bring their fireworks into town and everyone lights them off in the street!

idaho2012 352

The smell of smoke is heavy in the air – it’s a big family time and everyone gets involved.

idaho2012 358

As darkness descended, the band started up ---music filling the air. Everyone rushed out to dance! Grab your mom, your brother, your friend ---you don’t even need a partner! Just let the music take you and make you move!

idaho2012 362

At 10pm we all gathered on the bridge ---the MAIN ATTRACTION was about to start --

((Can I tell you how much I love the summer nights up here? Cool temps, fresh air – even if it was 90 during the day, by now I was grateful for an extra denim shirt!))

idaho2012 369

The fireworks went on and on and on --- over this lovely mountain setting.

idaho2012 371

What a lovely way to end a long travel day!

Once the “Big Ones” were over – the grand finale exploding to cheers and applause all around us --- the “renegade” fire works display took over, back in town. As I said – NOTHING is illegal as far as fireworks go ---the party got a bit louder, a bit more rowdy ---we decided we’d had enough – we were tired, and it was time to return home.

Today starts the onslaught of the rest of my siblings driving in from all directions --- 3 siblings and their families are driving up from Utah – one brother and his family are coming up from Arizona – two brothers and their families live in Boise – they have to work today, but will be up by weekend.

As expected, wifi is pretty iffy up here ---I have to laugh at the fact that my parents are from the generation that the wifi is turned off at night. I’m writing this offline and trying to find a way to ask that it be turned on so I can post this – it reminds me of being 14 and having the shower hot water turned off after 3 minutes in an effort to teach us to be responsible and frugal. Funny how being in a family situation takes you instantly back to your growing up years!

Soooo – I’ll post as I can, and if I don’t post as regularly – just know that I’m busy and surrounded by family and unwinding in fresh mountain air ----and that the wifi is turned off. LOL!

12 comments:

  1. sounds like you have a ton of brothers and sisters too like I do - I'm 3rd oldest of 12!
    Have fun in Idaho I love that state.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:01 AM EDT

    I love 4th of July in UT! My neighbors were shooting Fireworks off all around. Hope your family has a safe drive. We have rain in the forecast today! We haven't had rain since Memorial Day weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:25 AM EDT

    Is DH with you too? Looks llke fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I envy you the cool mountain air. It's in the HOT zone on the thermometer here in NW Arkansas. We lived in Nampa for a while and could see the Bogus Basin area from our living room window. Beautiful country. Enjoy your family!!!!!
    Gwynette

    ReplyDelete
  5. And you do know there is a quilt shop in Garden Valley? Love that drive off the highway out to "town."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have a wonderful time with your family...the more the merrier right? Nice photos of your fireworks. San Diego had ONE BIG BANG; did you see the news? I finished Scrappy Trips Around The World on the 4th. Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! I didn't know it was still legal to have wood campers on your pickup. :D I remember packing into such a get-up with 5 other college friends - much to the dismay of one friend's mother as we drove off to Yellowstone several Interstate hours away (4 riding in the camper) with that camper attached to the pick-up walls by 6 carpenter's clamps!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a lovely time with family and friends. Beautiful scenery. Love it! Enjoy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow... your mama must have been a baby when you were born!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I would have loved to "catch" you at the Chinese place in Boise :) I soo very much wish you were doing a workshop here. Happy you had a great time in Idaho. We spent the holiday up in the mountains too, swimming in the river and shooting off lots of fireworks in that very same fashion. Yup, outside of Boise, and inside if you don't get caught, nothing is illegal LOL

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks like tons of fun. Glad you are able to relax and get a 'family fix'. (Although if all your days are this busy, you may need a vacation to rest from, your vacation. LOL Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yay to teaching the little one sign language..it does just melt your heart! Your number one fan!

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)