>>>>

Tuesday, July 03, 2012

Shelley's Show and Tell Goodies!

I had several students bring show and tell to class, and oh I love to see what other people have made!

Shelley brought some really special antique beauties ---all family quilts, and we had her share them with everyone. The girl knows just what I would love to see, and I loved the stories behind her quilts.

This pink “hatchet” block quilt was made by her grandmother or aunt ---out of 1960s fabrics, as Shelly was born in 1969 if I remember right! The pink is so sweet, and as I look at those fabrics I can remember some of them so vividly from my own growing up --- I am a 1962 baby myself.

vermont2012 168

Love the stripes, checks, florals and other funky little prints! It’s hand quilted and has been slept under many a night.

vermont2012 169

Another close up of a different area --- do you recall these fabrics?

vermont2012 160

Another fun family quilt ---there is NO rhyme or reason for the way these basket blocks turn other than there are 4 in each row that go one direction, with the 5th one on the right side going the OTHER way. Study it and you will see!

I'm wondering if that last row just got ONE block out of order...in other worse, if you took the top right hand block off of that "top to bottom" column/row --and put it at the bottom, they'd all be the same in the across rows..

But you know what? It would NOT have been as fun a quilt to look at and study. There would be no surprises. I just love this one oops column!

I also bet when she got finished sewing that row on ---- she flipped that row out, looked at her handiwork, and said "Oh crap -- I am SO not taking this out!" :cD

My favorite block? the one in the center with the way spaced out polka dots! Don’t your eyes just fall upon those?

vermont2012 161

Here it is! I love how the gingham check is cut any way the template would fit the fabric….several of those triangles DEFINITELY had bias on the outside edge…..

vermont2012 163

I love how some of the blocks have dark backgrounds with light baskets!

vermont2012 162

And stripes that go every which direcion?! I’m all with that! I think I see one at the basket base that has bias on all three sides of that triangle…LOL! LOVE IT!!

This quilt was simply quilted with a diagonal cross hatching ----such a cozy quilt with many nights of keeping someone warm in its history too.

How about THIS Corn & Beans Variation:

vermont2012 164

That would be purple beans and yellow corn! Doesn’t this have SO much motion?

vermont2012 166

I love triangles! And look at all the fun fabrics in this one!

vermont2012 165

Closer yet!

Love how some of the block quarters use a darker purple and some light --- it isn’t consistent from block to block, so I think she ran out of one, and replaced it with another and just kept going --- but this is what makes the quilt have so much more to look at!

Thanks, Shelley for bringing these three great family quilts to share with our class! I wish these fabrics could talk and tell us what they were left over from!

SO here we are Tuesday. And I leave for Idaho tomorrow morning. I’m packing everything I need this morning – and every spare moment left until it’s time to go to bed will be spent packing up as many orders as I can get out.

I’ll make a post office run around 4pm – they close at 4:30.

I’ll spend the evening filling more book orders, and try to get some sleep before heading off for my 6:20am ((urrrghh!!)) flight on Wednesday morning.

I am so excited to be meeting up with Jason in Chicago! We fly to Boise together from Chicago --- landing in Boise about 12:30pm. Let the 4th of July festivities begin! I can’t wait to be surrounded by all of my siblings, their spouses, their children and spend a few days in the mountains above Boise ---

I don’t remember if there is even wifi at my mom’s house. Last time I was there I didn’t have cell service on the mountain.

Posts may be sparce if connectivity is limited, but I have a feeling I’ll mostly be busy with family so you may have to deal without me for a few days --

And with that --- I’m off to get that packing going!

Happy Tuesday, everyone!

22 comments:

  1. You can never have enough polka dots!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a 'pink person' but I really like the pink quilt. Maybe it's because the pink's neither too pale nor too powerful and the criss-cross pattern is such a lovely strong shape. It's knocked a bit of a hole in my tunnel-vision!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Barb in PA7:41 AM EDT

    I respectfully disagree about the one basket facing the opposite direction being an oops. I think the maker recognized that she wasn't going to have the baskets setting straight up (not wanting to do on point set), so she decided this was how they would lay on their sides. I've seen many various ways makers dealt with "on the side" -- every other block in the row facing opposite, half the row facing one way and half the other, every other row facing each way, etc.
    I love her choice, and I believe it was a choice -- an artistic choice in today's terms -- and not an oops. Those blocks are very well organized -- just maybe not how "we" would organize them. Thanks for sharing so many pictures -- I love to see and study antique quilts, even when they "only" date back to when I started quilting. Hard to think of my early quilts as being antique .
    Barb in PA
    bgarrett421@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really enjoy seeing the quilts; quilters are wonderful 'sharers'!
    Safe travel and enjoy your time with family. Don't forget to slow down and put in some relaxation :). Happy 4th to everyone. God Bless America and all the heroes who serve.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The lright hand vertical row is simply put on upside down. If you turn it around, all the baskets in each row would face the same direction.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with you about the oops row. I think it was definitely a mistake. But a happy accident. You are right about it really making the quilt great. Most mistakes in quilts turn out to be happy design opportunities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! We'll never know of course...but even if left the "right" way, it wouldn't have changed that they were all right-side-up hanging off the edge of the bed....that's why it makes no sense to say it was done "on purpose" it's not like the baskets would have been upside down. I think she just sewed that last block onto the wrong end of the row and went with it.

      Delete
  7. I'm working on a Corn and Beans right now...fun to see another example of it! Relax and enjoy your time with your family...we'll all be here when you get back...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous9:27 AM EDT

    TAlk about family treasures ... how wonderful of her to share them with you, and then to share them with us.

    These are definitely 'before quilt shop days' lol. While I do realize few folks made clothing, etc etc on the scale the previous generation did, Bonnie K Hunter (lolol)has shown us just how we can bring that wonderful home-time feeling back into our quilts!

    THANKS BONNIE
    JulieinTN

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing these old lovelies! What great fabrics! I'm sure they have been well loved over the years. Have a safe trip and a relaxing time with family. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love seeing these older quilts...and often wonder what everyone will think about the ones I make...LOL! Definately a study in human behavior! Just wanted to say HAVE A GREAT TRIP! Just got back from Boise!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love all the antique quilts you share with us.... wish my ancestors were quilters! Hopefully my daughters will appreciate my quilts some day.
    Enjoy your time with family and dont worry about us... we'll manage.... somehow! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love these old quilts--yes, some of the fabrics look familiar. I am a "little" older than you--you are my younger sister's age.
    Wish you were teaching a workshop somewhere nearby while you are "out west"--but I am also sure you need a break and some down time with family and friends. Safe travels. : )

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous11:03 AM EDT

    Beautiful antique quilts! Have a great family reunion, Bonnie!

    ReplyDelete
  14. have a wonderful time and enjoy that well deserved break!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous11:36 AM EDT

    Bonnie enjoy yourtime with family! You more than deserve the rest. I am not sure you will rest all that much catching up and visiting is not a chore but can be tiring! I want to thank you again for the 2 great classes in VT. You are a wonderful person. Whose caring and love for quilting shines through every time you teach! Have a safe and happy Holiday! Luann

    ReplyDelete
  16. If that "oops" row was turned around then the baskets would all be upside down. Right? - so I don't believe it is an oops! just sayin. I really like Shelley's other two quilts also - the pink quilt is so simple that you almost have a "well duh" (or forehead slappin) moment. and the last quilt definately fits into the "BKH" Hall of Fame! Thank you for sharing - more inspiration.....

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous3:45 PM EDT

    Ok - where did I miss which t-shirt Bonnie bought?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous3:59 PM EDT

    Enjoy your self, and have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anonymous6:08 PM EDT

    Enjoy Idaho, I graduated from Fruitland and my hubby in Council. We skipped going there this year ;P
    Lori in AZ
    lhilleboe@cox.net

    ReplyDelete
  20. My Mom and Dad live in Boise and I try to get up there at least three times a year. Are you close enough to stop at Quilt Expressions and Quilt Crossing? Both fabulouse shops that have both tripled in size over the last couple of years. Those idahoans love to quilt!! Have fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Be safe. Have fun.

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)