>>>>

Friday, July 20, 2012

Mary’s Quilt Shop & Retreat Center!

Before I go any further I’ve been reminded that I forgot to post where I was in the sending of book orders.

I was in such a hurry to get out the door yesterday that I didn’t check exact invoice numbers, but it’s pretty safe to say that if you placed your order in the month of June, it’s on its way.

And that’s all the updating I’m really going to be able to do this trip. I know I run myself ragged, and it’s starting to take a toll ---aka the bulging disk in my back pressing on the nerve, causing leg pain that I just force myself to work through.

I may or may not be able to spend extra time sitting to mail out while on the road. Something tells me I should be laying on my frozen peas more. This morning my doc is sending a prescription to a local pharmacy here to help with the pain until I can get the epidural injections.

Boy is that a downer note to start this post on! Let’s switch gears, because I have something SO SO neat to show you!

When Mary & her hubby Joe bought this lovely old 1830’s brick building to refurbish as the home of Mary’s Quilt Shop --- it was a, well – a MESS! So much restoration to do, but Joe is the right guy to do it, and I caught their vision as we toured the inside while under construction. I remember Mary explaining to me “The Quilt Shop will be on this side…..and on THIS side – there will be a bakery. And upstairs….((Imagine this as we are climbing rickety stairs to what seemed like an attic above)) is going to be the retreat center ----"

Now, there is history behind the retreat center ---the upper floor was originally above a bar/saloon – oh, it had been many things in it’s 180+ year history ---and this upper floor had been known as the local “Bordello”. In fact when I toured it with Mary, you could see that the area was divided up into 8 closet sized “cribs” ---just large enough for a single cot, and a pole with a peg for hanging your clothes!

Let me tell you, it does NOT look like that anymore! It’s beautiful!

oregon2012 483

There are two floors of newly remodeled retreat space! This is one of the common areas – a lovely sitting place that bids you to gather with friends and new quilt-acquaintances.

oregon2012 488

The sitting area boasts the original brick, freshly painted white and opens up into a lovely kitchen/eating area so you have all the comforts of home as you stitch! This soft green around the door frames and windows and shutters has become my new favorite color. It looks so fresh! And it’s not a new color, it’s actually historically correct for the time period this building was built.

oregon2012 486

Imagine breakfast at this table! The retreat center has room for 11 – you and 10 of your closest quilting buds!

oregon2012 487

Who’s going to take turns making meals?

((If you don’t want to cook there is a very cool pizza joint right across the street!))

oregon2012 484

Off the main sitting room is a lovely large room with lots of natural light that can easily be turned into a King Sized suite ---it has it’s own beautiful bathroom attached. I caught this room before the vintage quilts were put on the beds for today’s guests who are arriving this morning! The retreat center is full for my visit in Bedford. 11 lucky ladies get to stay above the quilt shop. FUN!

oregon2012 485

Brand new bathrooms with sparkling fixtures, all the comforts of home!

oregon2012 505

A gorgeous stair case will take you up to the retreat center from the quilt shop below.

oregon2012 489

The upstairs rooms have a beautiful shared bath –it even has TWO showers so the “waiting in line” is shorter – but it’s RETREAT time! Who is going to fight for the early shower? Not me! I’m a jammie girl!

oregon2012 490

Cozy rooms with comfy beds, adorned with Mary’s beautiful vintage quilts. Which one would you choose to sleep under? Lovely 1930’s applique, all hand quilted?

oregon2012 491

More vintage patchwork! Flying Dutchman in the foreground, and Goose in the Pond by the window ---

oregon2012 502

Lovely quilting! What was it I said just yesterday about PINK!?

((I’m still seeing pink everywhere and loving it!))

oregon2012 501

Close up detail on the Goose in the Pond. This is hand quilted, folks! The wreaths in the cornerstones are so intricate! And I love how she has quilted the patched blocks too! This is circa 1930 also, all solid fabrics.

oregon2012 492

There are small vignettes featuring quilts made from Mary’s own fabric lines –and favorite items from “days gone by” that really add a personal touch for history lovers.

oregon2012 494

Another bedroom boasts a lovely sunny window seat, and a bed with more applique and a deep scalloped border.

oregon2012 503

Who wouldn’t have sweet dreams under this lovely?

oregon2012 495

A large center basket in applique is the focal point of this vintage quilt!

oregon2012 504

Who’s hands worked so diligently to stitch this beauty? It’s magnificent!

oregon2012 496

Room for Three!

You and two friends can share this room, all adorned with antique blue and white quilts! Which one would YOU choose?

oregon2012 499

Do you see that this sunflower quilt has spots of pink in it here and there?! Pink “IS” the new white, you know? :cD Oh, I love this…the quilting is SO intense!

oregon2012 497

A dramatic “Robbing Peter to Pay Paul” and a Classic Double Irish Chain complete the trio of quilts in this room, both of which make me itchin’ to be stitchin!

I know the ladies staying here for Tonight’s lecture and tomorrow’s workshop are going to have a ball in this beautiful new space. If you are ever near Bedford, PA --- contact Mary’s Quilt Shop about booking the retreat center for your next get together!

And if you are anywhere near here tonight, I want to invite you to my lecture and trunkshow, being held at the Bedford American Legion Hall --- it starts at 6pm! I hope to see you here!

17 comments:

  1. Wow! Its beautiful! Mary should be very proud. Dreams take time to build. It's always good to see them come true!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many beautiful quilts! What a wonderful place for retreat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a herniated disc a couple of years ago, and the 2 injections I got were like a miracle cure. Hope it works as well for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous retreat center....and the quilts are amazing! I sure hope you can get some relief with the pain meds, Bonnie. There's just no time or room in your life for that nonsense! Besides....we're not old enough to be having this kind of pain!

    ReplyDelete
  5. First, Bonnie, there are stretches to help that bulging disk. Ice and stretches are soo important, take it from one who knows. Ask for a bit of physical therapy. Once you learn them, you can do them where ever you are, where ever you feel a flare up. The pics of Mary's are amazing. I would sleep under any of them, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a delightful place! Thanks for such a thorough tour. Loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. faithanne10:16 AM EDT

    Bonnie - that's for the book order update - so excited! what beautiful quilts - how inspiring they are. Hope you can find relief for your back pain. Enjoy your weekend in PA.

    ReplyDelete
  8. faithanne10:16 AM EDT

    should say "thanks"

    ReplyDelete
  9. I feel your pain. Hope the injections are the cure and the pain meds work in the mean time. Horrible to have to deal with that while traveling. Thank you for sharing the beautiful retreat space. It's gorgeous. So smart of these quilt shop owners to open retreat spaces....great for business. I go to one every year with my friends that was also opened by the quilt shop owner. So much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous10:33 AM EDT

    Bonnie, I love your blog because there are SO MANY pictures of quilts! I'm frequently amazed and often jealous of the quilts you see as you travel. Take care of your back--its the only one you have! And you'll need it for a long time!
    Laura in NC

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous10:38 AM EDT

    Bonnie, I'm so sorry you still have so much pain. Is there any advantage to you for folks buying your books directly from you? We could take that workload off your back by buying from the publisher or Amazon, but would not want to take anything away from you. Jane in MT

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would love to go and retreat there! So gorgeous....I sure hope you find some relief from your pain, soon! When I had a bulging disc, I took lots of ibuprofen and frequent icing. The icing should be done as much as you possibly can with your busy schedule....good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous8:10 PM EDT

    What a great place for a retreat!! Fantastic tour, Bonnie, and the quilts would give anyone such inspiration, great pics. Thanks loads.
    Faye in Maine

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'd love to visit there. Thanks for the tour and showing all the lovely quilts. I need a place like this closer to me in the Western part of the country.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm sorry to hear you have having troubles with a herniated disc. Been there, too! It seems like the gift that keeps giving :(

    When you are not traveling, here's a great "ice" alternative. Mix in a freezer ziplock one cup of rubbing alcohol and three cups of cold water. Double bag in freezer ziplocks. Place FLAT in freezer. It takes one to two days to freeze completely the first time. We keep these on hand and have three or four in the freezer at all times. When refreezing after using, they freeze much faster as the liquids are already cold.

    When you use these, place in a thin towel -- never apply ice directly to skin. 20 minutes on, 20 minutes off. Don't fall asleep using them as you can freeze your skin and nerves and cause damage. Can you tell I work for a spine doctor and orthopedic surgeon?? LOL

    Feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Bonnie,
    There is also an another alternative to frozen peas that is similar to the comment about water and alcohol. I have made my ice bags with zip lock freezer bags doubled in which I mix equal parts (2 cups) alcohol and warm water along with 1 teaspoon Moisture Plus watering crystals. These crystals are found in the gardening center at Lowe's. I first used these for the cooling neck collars we first made for the soldiers in the middle east.
    The mixture in the bags will gel quickly. Lay bags flat in freezer, they stay cold much longer than peas. I made flannel covers for mine which I use even over my clothing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a fantastic retreat centre! Love all the quilts, but the quilting on the Goose in the Pond makes that one my favourite :)

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)