>>>>

Thursday, July 26, 2012

Antiques Across PA!

How long does it take YOU to drive what should take you 3 hours to get to your designated destination!?

I left Wellsboro around 10am, and got here about 4pm. Not bad. 6 hours! LOL!

Of course, I was stopping here and there and going off the beaten path and treating the whole day as a treasure hunt.

I remembered from last time that with the summer season in full swing, Hershey Lodge has a heavy turn over of rooms daily, and it is nearly impossible to get checked in to a room much before 3pm. So I got here about 4, and had the check in line insanity to wait in. Oh well!

I enjoyed my time wandering here and there…..what’s better than Old Barns or Antique Malls? How ‘bout Antique Malls IN Old Barns!

PA_July2012 273

So, this one was only about 8 miles off the designated route!

PA_July2012 279

I found this lovely circa 1890-1900 Bow tie…so excited over how bright those fabrics are!

PA_July2012 280

These neon prints are SO fabulous! and I love the shirting stripe used as the background!

PA_July2012 281

Look at these yummies!

PA_July2012 282

I loved this album quilt for the fabrics it had in it also ---wide striped sashings make this one really interesting!

PA_July2012 285

Lots of great indigo blues!

PA_July2012 286

Another 9 mile jaunt off my route landed me here! I think the town was “Millersburg” but I can’t be sure ----

PA_July2012 287

I fell in love with this old singer in a cabinet that came complete with a 1935 dated coupon book for lessons and tune ups!

PA_July2012 288

No, I didn’t buy this machine, but I loved the coupon book….I get the feeling we are out of luck though, they are only good if they are still attached to the book, and only good for 1 year from date of purchase!

PA_July2012 292

Remember my talking about quilts with signatures the other day? Here is one that had more signatures than I could count! This was a very special memory quilt – I hate that it isn’t with a relative or someone who knew the owner ---

PA_July2012 294

Puss in the Corner blocks are surrounded by signatures embroidered in redwork.

PA_July2012 293

See how the last names are in pairs? Must be Mr & Mrs!

PA_July2012 295

This is ONE HUGE QUILT! I couldn’t get enough space to lay it completely out, but I was able to unfold it enough to expose the center panel and the whole story became more clear!

PA_July2012 296

Made by the Members of the Primary Department of Messiah Lutheran Sunday School, 1912.

VERY COOL!!!!

It’s time for me to get this day going and go make myself acquainted with 24 students who are no doubt waiting for me outside my class room ---have a great day, everyone!

8 comments:

  1. Have a great class! Stop by the vendor mall if you get a chance -- far right aisle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The signature quilt is quite interesting. The quilt was probably made as a fund-raiser. Each person who signed it would have paid -- possibly 10 cents or twenty-five cents -- to have his or her signature included on the quilt. It may have been made purely to raise funds, then raffled off. Or it may have been made for a departing minister as a memento; in the later case the recipient information would probably have been included on the label.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness Bonnie! You were only 15 minutes from my house! I wish I had known, we could have met for a cuppa! Old Barn Antiques is the landmark I use to help folks get to my place! You turn left just after the barn and then go 6 miles.
    Thanks again for a wonderful workshop on Tuesday. Have a great day!

    Donna P
    cb_bfangel@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you notice the signature by Helen R Keller (or Killer) ??? I am going to pretend it is THE Helen Keller. That makes it a better story! It is in the photo under the puss in the corner pic. Neat find!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous8:53 AM EDT

    Your blog definitely tops the list of those I read. I love how you make all the stops and show us all those treasures you find. It is so inspiring. I want to make this group of quilts! Even though I don't actually go on vacations, I feel like I'm on one when I read your blog. Thanks for all you do. Amy in Wisconsin

    ReplyDelete
  6. You wonder how a quilt like that becomes disconnected from its roots. My Mom has a quilt made about 30 years ago by women in their congregation and you can believe that there are three daughters willing to give it a good home when needed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bonnie, I love your travel logs, and all the pictures. I'm curious as to how you find your way around, and find all these shops. Do you use your iPhone gps, Siri, or what? You never seem lost (like I would be) and you find the neatest antique stores and restaurants. Thanks for any info. Oh. love seeing the signature quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous3:42 PM EDT

    Bonnie - The Stitch in Time Antique and Gift Mall is in Millerstown, PA.

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)