>>>>

Thursday, July 19, 2012

Bring on the Pink!

Pink is one of those antique colors that call to me too.

Living in a house full of males – I’ve never had a chance at having a pink bedroom or a pink bathroom, but wherever I can, I can be found sneaking in some pink somewhere in a scrap quilt ----there are even some pinky=reds in my Talkin’ Turkey and in Orca Bay! Pink IS pastel red, after all ;c)

I showed you this pink checkerboard the other day. It’s still calling to me!

Simple squares set 7 X 7 --- what great way to show off those yummy reproduction browns and LOADS of double pink!

oregon2012 156

How about a great old “Jack in the Pulpit” set on point with loads of double pink!

oregon2012 157

Here’s a close up of that pink with a good look at the browns and blues used. I love how the fabrics change here and there…blue square with brown centers and corners, or all blue, or all brown, or blue corners and blue square and brown center…just use it up in as many different ways to color it as possible! Did you catch that one block on the lower right with the three striped triangles? FUN!

oregon2012 158

I remember the Quilt Police saying you should never use red and pink together. But look how dramatic the pink is next to the red in this broken star…isn’t it awesome?!

oregon2012 159

Here’s a close up of that quililtng..1/4” inside each diamond, and look at that gorgeous feathered wreath with the double spine! Swoon!

oregon2012 160

Bubble gum pink surrounding terrific 1930’s butterflies!

((Yes, my eye is on that yellow strippy jewel box next to it too!))

oregon2012 162

Rows of pink stars…..this one was interesting because the sashings are different widths. Could this have been for the pillow tuck?

oregon2012 161

I love the “Baseball” type quilting….just overlapping circles in the sashing….isn’t this a pretty block?

oregon2012 163

As the sashing got narrower, the baseballs became squashed ovals! :cD

oregon2012 185

I love what the gentle pink does to this very cozy looking 9 patch 8 snowball!

This has been one of my favorite quilt patterns forever. I love how this one ended at the edge of the quilt with partial blocks.

oregon2012 186

Such GREAT old scrap bag fabrics! Oh, I definitely see one of these in my future too!

oregon2012 307

How about this giant graphic flower? It’s a circa 1910-1920 and looks so great on the bed!

It’s the pink centers that call to me…and it’s sent against that great old peach background!

oregon2012 178

Here’s a close up of one of the blocks…love how those stripes go every which way! Isn’t this sweet?

oregon2012 179

Loved this fun conversational print background—it’s a young girl rolling a hoop!

oregon2012 180

Now this is a quilt I’d love to find a pattern for! The petals are NOT gathered as some flower blocks I’ve seen. These are all inset curves---I think I’d have to do this one as a hand work project.

There is just something about the pink in all these quilts that call to me! I hope you enjoyed them as much as I do!

It’s about 7am, and just about time for me to hit the road – I’m headed up to Bedford, Pennsylvania today! It’s about a 6.5 hour drive, but who knows how long it will take me…..Shamu breaks for all antique malls!

Have a great Thursday, everyone!

29 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:32 AM EDT

    Thanks for the quilt show, Bonnie. I loved all the quilts. Am currently working on a 25 patch (5 inch block) with alternate solid color blocks. The 25 patch blocks are reproduction Civil War. BUT, I am really liking the idea of the 49 patch block with Civil War fabrics, then again the 9-patch/Snowball combo is enticing as well! What a wealth of inspiration you are. Thanks loads.
    Have a safe trip, don't let Shamu get you lost!
    Faye in Maine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Safe travels, Bonnie and thank you for sharing those quilts! Love that nine-patch/snowball!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing. I'm in a family of all guys and can relate to the pink thing. Also, I appreciate that you point out the quirkiness and your lecture on points don't need to be perfect. I stopped quilting for awhile because someone I quilted with was always pointing out our imperfections. We ALL "divorced" her. My quilting is thriving again thanks to your blog and lecture! Have a safe trip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous8:04 AM EDT

    Shiley in Canada and i agree about the 9 Patch/Snowball. All of them are really beautiful. Thank you for sharing these Bonnie.

    Have you noticed how a simple pattern can dance across the quilt when set on point?! Does wonders.

    We have 2 daughters, so I have had pink. I like the old time double pinks, and faded rosy pinks best.

    Safe and joyful travels Bonnie.
    Smiles
    JulieinTN

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think a nine patch and snowball quilt are in my future-in just those colors!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Travel safely Bonnie! I really enjoyed your showing of the quilts - thanks! I'm really partial to the Snowball & Nine-Patch too; that pattern always catches my eye :*)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have a safe trip! I definitely want to make a 9 patch/snowball quilt. The snowball has been on my list for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How do you not bring them home??!!!!! I'll see you on Saturday.... can't wait!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Spectacular. What else to say?! (except thanks for the great photos, your thoughts on each and - be safe on your drive)

    ReplyDelete
  10. The block in the "baseball" quilt looks like one that you'd adapt, Bonnie.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love all the quilts you shared with us. Thanks so much. The giant flower calls to me, but I have so many projects now, I really shouldn't start another! Notice I said "shouldn't" which doesn't mean I won't!! Safe travels to Bedford, I'm looking forward to meeting you there. My two BFF's and I are signed up for the lecture and workshop. We're so excited, we can hardly wait!

    www.katydidart.net
    katydidart@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love all these quilts, and your comments makes me see them in a new light. My favourite is also the 9patch and snowball. I have daughters and grand daughters so lots of pink in our house. I also love the 30ies greens.Thanks for all you do to enrich quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm loving these, Bonnie, especially the 9 patch 8 snowball. On another quilt you called some of the quilting "squashed ovals" and I thought you wrote squashed owls! ha!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just got home from a week away and my new book was waiting for me. Thank you Bonnie! I can hardly wait to start a new quilt, after I finish OB of course

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful vintage quilts. I also love the snowball/9-patch. It has been on my bucket list forever. I feel a new project coming on. Hurry, somebody stop me!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's amazing to see your photos because I don't remember half the quilts you took pictures of. I was tempted to buy that pink one, though. I do remember that one. And of course the one we all chose for Claire? It's a winner! Have a safe trip.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You spent a LOT of time in that Antique Quilt area. I find myself drawn to the Antique Malls now too, thanks to you! I made a 9-patch/Snowball quilt for one of my grandsons. I used a Novelty print for the snowballs. I thought one of these might be a lead-up to your next Challenge...I'd go for the PINK.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What wonderful quilts. I really liked the use of the peach fabric in the graphic flower. Hand stitching definite if you tackle this one. Jack in the Pulpit and 9-Patch 8 Snowball are of particular interest to me (in that order too). Thanks for sharing. Safe travels north! Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for the quilt show! I do love the nine patch/snowball. I think a scrappy one of these is in my future, too. For some reason I'm thinking of doing much smaller blocks in shirtings, but I'll also add some pinks.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for posting the pictures, love the nine patch/snowball. I need a new leader/ender.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Paula Y.3:36 PM EDT

    Thanks for bringing us along on your antique shop prowl. The quilts you find are just gorgeous. (LOL- hope Shamu doesn't really "break" at any antique shops along your trip!)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Anonymous6:50 PM EDT

    I always love the quilts you post; I have a huge folder of ideas for future quilts. I love that nine-patch/snowball. Thank you for allowing us to travel with you! Sharon D B

    ReplyDelete
  23. Really enjoyed seeing these wonderful quilts done in pink. Pink is my favorite color.I would love to make a quilt of the snowball/9 patch pattern in those colors. Thanks for sharing these with us.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Anonymous12:33 AM EDT

    Bonnie, thank you so much for showing us so many lovelies! I especially appreciate your commentary on them. I am learning to see them in a different light. I think that the 9patch/snowball quilt is so pretty too. I think that it is her choices of colors and their placement that make it so pleasing. I am wondering if you could date the Broken Star quilt? The quilting is phenomenal. Looks like the borders are feathered wreaths with a ton of cross hatching. Could I be that patient to do that much work?? Naw, but I sure do admire what she has done! (sigh) I must remain anonymous because I have no blog, but I am ohsirius7@hotmail.com. Thank you for all your posts. I can't wait to read what you have been up to, see the books that you let us know about, the quilts that you find. It is all so positive, and gives me a daily boost. (don't mind any rants either, they are good for all of us!)Thank you! Sara

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks for sharing all these wonderful quilts. I tend to shy away for pinks but now I think I will have to incorporated a few more pinks in my quilts. I enjoy your comment and keen eye for details.

    ReplyDelete
  26. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thank you for the wonderful quilt show!!!

    I was excited to see the BROKEN STAR - because I have one very similar to it. "The Romance of the Patchwork Quilt" Hall/Kretsinger shows a Broken Star on page 226. The black and white book printed in 1935 describes the quilt as colors of orange, turkey red, dark green and old fashioned pink (and white). It looks to be heavily quilted in the same style as the quilt you shared and the one I have. Do you think they may have been from kits? I see a comment by Sara, about the Broken Star about the date. Do you think 1930's?? Thanks for any information. Becky

    richandbecky@embarqmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. Drlak1230@wildblue.net9:05 PM EDT

    I love pink Bonnie but have yet yo make one. Maybe the next time!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Re: graphic flower on peach. I had a look at the block and it is definitely draftable, espec. since you would piece it by hand.
    I love the quilt show you gave use and think a 9-patch snowball would be a cool quilt-along...what say you????

    Huggs,
    Jacqueline

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)