>>>>

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

A Little Blue Heaven in Wellsboro!

Have you ever had one of those days where weird unexpected events become hysterical?

Our workshop was in a building that the guild had never used before for workshops --- and all started out great – plenty of tables, the heavy duty kind that don’t bounce when you sew fast on them.

**Side note** When at retreat I always choose the ugly heavy duty brown wooden HEAVY tables for my own sewing instead of the nice clean pristine lightweight white ones just for that reason. Machines BOUNCE on lightweight tables! **End side note**

We had 29 students sewing away in a large room with lots of windows and all was going fine until…

THE FIRE ALARM STARTS BLARING and we are all ushered outside.

Turns out the irons were right beneath some heat sensors and we set them off. They had to call off the fire department.

We moved irons around, spread things farther apart, tried to keep irons away from heat sensors ---- and about an hour later ----off go the alarms again!

We are cracking up by this time, and no one wants to GO OUTSIDE because we KNOW it is the irons, there is no fire --- and yet, the guys who are in charge of the building are getting mad because they keep having to call the fire department and tell them it’s a false alarm, it’s the irons setting off the heat sensors.

Well the head guy must NOT be related to a quilter, because he told us we had to turn ALL irons OFF. That we could not have ANY irons plugged in in this room.

WHAT?!?

Now imagine a classroom full of “deep in the throes of quilt construction” quilters --- with NO IRONS?!

In an effort to just get through this day -----it was suggested that we run the extension cords out the back door, and that we set up our ironing stations OUTSIDE.

Actually, though not ideal --- it was beautiful out there on the back patio area!

Somehow---I can’t see the guild renting this place come winter – can you imagine all the ironing stations out there in the snow?! LOL! Nope!

I do think a search for a new location is underway --- too bad too, because this place was great. Except for the ultra-sensitive heat sensors!

The pic above is of Me and Ava – Ava is the hostess with the mostest for the Mountain Laurel Quilters --- she’s handled all of my arrangements and we’ve had a great time together! In fact – it was her Singer 404 that I was fawning over:

PA_July2012 213

Yeah baby, she’s a cool 1950’s two toned girl!

Another guild member brought her Singer 301 to class….and classed up the place in the process:

PA_July2012 214

I just love seeing these old girls still in circulation and doing what they were intended to do…STRAIGHT STITCH! We also had several featherweights in class….made me wish I had time to sew yesterday, but as it was --- there wasn’t time!

We were SEW BUSY!! Take a look at the progress these ladies made:

This morning I am on the road to Hershey for Quilt Odyssey! My time in PA is flying by and I’m looking forward to the 3 hour or so drive. I have plenty of time to wander and still get me there on time. I’m excited to be reconnecting with quilting friends and other teaching friends. It’s been a couple years since the last time I taught in Hershey, and they put on such a good show!

Of course, that “complimentary” Hershey Bar they give you when you check in has nothing to do with my excitement --- or does it? :cD

Happy Wednesday!

18 comments:

  1. Love that pattern! Loved it more when I saw the purple one being constructed! You know purple just sings to me. Have fun in Hershey!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Bonnie,
    I allways like to read your posts! THIS one is realy funny (if you are not involved *g*)! A quilt-workshop without irons! May be someone should infect a fireman there with the quilt virus,aye?
    Thank you for sharing this story.
    xxx Doris

    ReplyDelete
  3. All's well that ends well...... Bonnie we all had a great time, and learned so much from you. This for sure was a memorable one for all, although the guy in charge probably won't remember it fondly! Enjoy the rest of your road trip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous8:14 AM EDT

    As long as you can laugh and have fun - all is well lol.

    The blocks I see in the photo group, the reds remind me of an old sailor line... "Red skies at night, a sailor's delight; red skies in the morning, sailor take warming". She might name her quilt "Red Skies at Night"? All of the colors are so wonderful...just a great looking pattern, Bonnie.
    Smiles
    JulieinTN

    ReplyDelete
  5. We found there was an iron problem at our retreat center years ago... they would throw the breaker. We also found in the newer section that steam from the shower would set off the fire alarm.

    Hopefully they find a more user friendly place for the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Did you notice that the two of you in the picture match the quilt?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Bonnie, I'm so excited to be taking this class with you in Hershey. Fabrics are cut and ready to go. WHOOOOO HOOOOO!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want to thank you for the pictures and all your updates. I so enjoy seeing all the way people put their 'scraps' together. Hopefully, someday I'll have the opportunity to take a class with you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a funny situation!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like some very sensitive heat sensors in the building. I hope the guy in charge can laugh about it now. It is pretty funny! : )

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, darn. I was sure we'd see a picture of the irons set up outside! THAT would have been funny. Have a nice drive and a great time in Hershey. Thanks for the laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well Bonnie, let me tell you...it was one wild and crazy day! Don't think I have participated in as many "fire drills" in one day, ever before! Lol! Thanks so much for all your enthusiastic instruction. You have changed the way I look at my scraps forever!!! I now have the confidence to venture into the scrappy realm! Have fun in Hersey, and drive safely!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That was my best laugh for the day!!!! Have a safe and enjoyable trip to Quilt Odyssey.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That happens to me!!! We remodeled a few years ago and now have smoke alarms that are wired (not just battery) and connected to each other. The one in my sewing room is directly over my ironing board. Directly over the spot my iron sits when not in use. I noticed it and told the contractor-no big deal he says-famous last words. I have set the alarm off a few times when I didn't have the ceiling fan on in the room.

    The first time, all the alarms in the house (4) went off. We had no clue what to do or how to turn them off.

    My husband was not happy!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Actually, there's an upside to this situation -- it forced your quilters to get up and walk around a bit from time to time. We quilters sometimes spend too much time sitting continuously! 8-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Bonnie, just wanted to thank you for teaching us so much, combined with having a couple of the best days I've experienced in a long time! I've hoped to participate in one of your workshops for years and was NOT disappointed in this one. I certainly hope this is not my last! Drive safe and have fun in Hersey!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh that is sooo hilarious about the irons. That guy must not have a clue, no irons. LOL. I am still laughing about this story. I love to hear all your adventures.

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)