>>>>

Tuesday, March 25, 2014

A Mountain Quilt Fest–A Smattering of Quilts!

MountainQuiltFest_Mar2014 065
I did get a chance to walk around the show – for about 30 minutes before dinner on Thursday night since dinner was on location in the room between where my classroom was and the vendors mall, and the show itself. 

A half hour to see the quilts!

I got through quite a bit of the show – by this time the hall had cleared out, it was 5pm, and I was free to wander at my own pace.

My immediate response?  Besides WOW?!  There were a whole lot of BIG quilts with amazing hand quilting on them!

This excited me.

Barbara Clem’s “Symphony of Roses” nearly brought tears to my eyes, the stitching was so beautiful:

MountainQuiltFest_Mar2014 061

Whole quilt, from afar ---

I thought it was machine quilting at first!

MountainQuiltFest_Mar2014 062

Oh goodness!

MountainQuiltFest_Mar2014 063

Thinking of the hours and hours of stitching time ---

MountainQuiltFest_Mar2014 064

And that is on TOP of the applique time ---

And I realize –we are in such a hurry hurry hurry to get it all done, piece it fast, quilt it fast, bind it by machine, our lives are racing ----

What I wouldn’t give to have the time to just sit and stitch and enjoy the process.  To have the freedom to just BE, and sit – and hand stitch.

That said, I wish I had the eyesight for it too, because that is on its way out the door the older I get!

Well done, Barbara ---you are my “Quilt Hero of the Year!”

I am also so pleased when a quilter wins two great ribbons on a quilt she made from one of my designs:

MountainQuiltFest_Mar2014 009

Pineapple Crazy from String Fling by Carolyn!

MountainQuiltFest_Mar2014 007

And yes, she made the BIG VERSION!

Great job on both a second place in her category, AND the Appraiser’s choice award!

Carolyn also had her beautiful Smith Mountain Morning from Scraps & Shirttails II hanging opposite the Pineapple Crazy:

MountainQuiltFest_Mar2014 008

Stunning in browns and golds!

There was also an Orca Bay from String Fling in the house:

MountainQuiltFest_Mar2014 031

Orca Bay by Judy Stokes!

It’s not easy to get photos straight on  ---they are in “cubicle” format, so pardon my bad photos!

MountainQuiltFest_Mar2014 032

Great job Judy!

MountainQuiltFest_Mar2014 033

She also entered her Cathedral Stars!

MountainQuiltFest_Mar2014 034

Nice job!

It tickles me when you work so hard and enter your quilts into shows ---thank you for doing that, it makes me feel like I entered right along with you!

I’ve uploaded more photos into a slide show.  Not the entire show, just what caught my eye, and mostly, what I had time for on my 30 minutes around the floor.  ((Can you say rapid fire photography!!?))  I started out thinking I would get a shot of everyone’s info card, but soon realized that would double my photo editing time and the amount of photos in my camera and by battery was already going – so I abandoned that idea.

Click the image below if you are unable to view the slide show on your mobile device.  You’ll be taken to the photo album for viewing.
A Mountain Quiltfest,Pigeon Forge, TN 2014


A Mountain Quiltfest is a really great show, and it is free to the public.  Plan a trip to Pigeon Forge, TN in March ---and go!

There will be Quilt-Cam tonight at 9pm Eastern!  Hope to see you here tonight!


Click Here to like our Quiltville Friends Page on Facebook for more fun!

Click Here to join our sister group, Quiltville's Open Studio on Facebook, a place to Sew, Share & Grow!!

16 comments:

  1. My goodness, what jaw-dropping, beautiful quilts! I admire the skill that went into these beauties! I'll be tuning into Quilt Cam tonight...woo hoo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for taking me along...a wonderful show...so many gorgeous quilts and you were well represented too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing the AMAZING & BEAUTIFUL quilts. Looking forward to quilt cam tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great show. Makes me feel like I was there :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW! Those are some amazing quilts!!! Thank you for sharing! We are just finishing our yearly quilt show at the library, so while I didn't get to go to this big show, I have had the pleasure of our small show.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Doesn't go to a quilt show recharge you? Does me.
    Look at all of the Bonnie-Pattern quilts too.

    Words are not enough... beauty by the stitch.
    Smiles, JulieinTN

    ReplyDelete
  7. That was an amazing show. Sometimes after viewing such a wonderful display I feel like locking my machine away and leaving the craft to those more talented !

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks for sharing those fantastic quilts, just so very wonderful to see

    ReplyDelete
  9. Marty Copelin11:45 AM EDT

    Thanks for the slide show! I was amazed to see one of my quilts included and also a quilt made by a dear friend. We were thrilled they caught your eye. Can't wait to make one of your scrap quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What fabulous quilts. I wonder which quilt came first in the class wher Barbara Clem got third. It must have been fantastic. Thank you for taking the time to show us your wonderful photographs.
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for the slideshow! What amazing work! Barbara's hand quilting took my breath away!!! Looking forward to Quiltcam!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Did I spot a "Crisscross Apple Sauce" I love that pattern and have being working on one for some time. I need to make it bigger so it is on hiatus.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you Bonnie for sharing those amazing quilts, Deb M from Australia

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fantastic quilts; thanks for sharing. But then you share so much. Thanks for all you do for the quilting world.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fantastic quilts - thanks for taking the time to share them. Did you notice how many applique quilts caught you eye?!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Welcome home and thanks for the slideshow Bonnie. So many talented quilters!

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)