>>>>

Wednesday, March 26, 2014

The Tale of a New Shower!

Shower_March2014 001
This is not a quilty post.

This is the tale of how a long awaited bathroom makeover has begun with the installation of a new shower!

We bought our house here in North Carolina just over 6 years ago ---knowing that it would be in a constant state of flux as we tackled one area at a time, turning it from a 1970s bungalow to a place we could call home – with more modern conveniences.

The very small master bath has always been functional, but a bit on the dated side with shiny gold-edged mirrored sliding glass doors on a very “needing to be replaced” fiberglass tub/shower combo.

I’m sure it was great in its day ---but I really missed the simplicity of the large walk in shower that our previous house had --- so I dreamed.

The day that Tonya arrived – so did a big truck with a huge pallet of STUFF – a shower kit that The Hubster had ordered, he was going to tackle this job HIMSELF!

((Oh boy…insert more Tim-the-Tool-Man Grunts!!))

And then the ice storm hit.  And the power outage happened, and effort turned to clearing the fallen trees that had come to their demise across our driveway and in our yard ----

And I left for Kentucky and Tennessee.

I’m kind of glad for that!  I didn’t have to see THIS happening:

Shower_March2014 002

Oh my!  Demo-Man at Work!

Shower_March2014 003

Yikes!

Shower_March2014 004

Emmy Lou isn’t sure what to do!

We were very lucky – there was no water damage to the wall area behind the tub/shower or to the floor – the sub floor is in great shape – so I am on the look out now for what we want to replace it with.

Shower_March2014 005

New tray going down ---

He even had to do a b it of re-plumbing – this pan is about 4” wider than our old tub was, so the drain hole was a little bit to the left of the old one…amazing what you can learn to do on Youtube!

Shower_March2014 006

New backer board going in ---

All of these photos came one by one to my phone as this was happening while I was out of town….No water mishaps either!  Whew!

Shower_March2014 007

Walls going in!

There is a rug on the floor of the shower to keep it from getting scratched and dirty from shoes and tools ---

Shower_March2014 011

All surrounded!

Shower_March2014 008

Doors in place and calking done!  YAY!!

Shower_March2014 009

Every new shower needs a new caddy!

I’m so pleased with this little improvement ---and mostly how it happened while I was gone! LOL!

Re-Bath wanted $10,000 to do our  small bathroom, converting the tub to a shower.  NO WAY --- Dave found the tub to shower conversion kit on Amazon.  It wasn’t cheap-cheap, but it was in our budget and I am so happy we did it.

Next up – a new toilet that sits a bit taller.  A new vanity and sink top  that stands a bit taller.  A new mirror to replace the old one that has silver coming off of the edges.  Bye bye to shiny gold and hello to brushed nickel accents….a new coat of paint and a new floor should give me a completely new bathroom.

It will always be a small master bath, but with the tub gone, the mirrored shower doors gone, it feels more open and airy all ready – besides, I don’t have time to clean huge bathrooms!  I’ve got sewing to do!

Have a great Wednesday, everyone!


Click Here to like our Quiltville Friends Page on Facebook for more fun!


Click Here to join our sister group, Quiltville's Open Studio on Facebook, a place to Sew, Share & Grow!!

40 comments:

  1. Nice Job! Kudos to your hubby!
    I love small baths. When we built our home, I told the contractor I wanted to be able to clean all the baths completely while standing in one spot! I had much better things to spend time on. I got away with it too because I had only boys.
    Glad you are home and pleased with the bath progress. Love all you get done and the inspiration you keep sharing.

    Hugs,
    Holli

    ReplyDelete
  2. how neat! we need to do this too and haven't gotten around to it yet. Nice to know that you can order on Amazon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gotta love a handyman!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What was the brand and model and what ever else I need to find your shower head? I wanted one with the hose that removes and didn't stick up really high - Haven't been able to find one and this looks exactly like what I am looking for! Love the surround. Your husband did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't it nice to have such a handy hubby? And really nice that he did it all while you were gone! We are tall and opted for the taller, handicap toilets - and boy they sure are nice (that is what happens when you get old...you are excited about tall toilets - lol!!).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! Will your hubby hire out to do this? I've been wanting to replace our tub with a walk-in shower for awhile and make sure we make it to that aisle on every trip to Lowes. No luck so far. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous8:57 AM EDT

    We have that same shower head and we love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely job, just what I need for my bathrooms. Unfortunately, my hubby is absolutely useless at DIY. He's very clumsy and doesn't know his own strength when he gets hold of things (including me). Still, we will get round to doing the jobs sometime. As you say, sewing time is precious, everything else can wait!Linda

    ReplyDelete
  9. I only have one bathroom and want to replace the tub with walk in shower but am worried about resale value. Does it affect it much you think? amber1059@charter.net

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous9:36 AM EDT

    Handy husbands are GREAT !!! And being gone during the chaos was even better!! Love that you won't have to scrub grout!!! Wondering if those auto spray cleaner things really work??? My hubby is tall and insisted on a "comfort height toilet"...and I insisted on one without the plumbing rings showing, got a SLICK SIDED one at Lowes..much easier for cleaning.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! It looks GREAT, Bonnie! Your "hubster" did a fantastic job!! Sounds like your bathroom will be wonderful when it's all done! I wish we could do those projects ourselves….. I would be afraid of causing major problems!
    Keep us current on the next project!
    I really enjoyed our Quilt Cam last night….such fun! I don't know how you do all that you do…… but please keep on doing it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks wonderful! I know you'll enjoy it. And isn't it wonderful to have a husband that "can do" so many things. I'm 5'9" Ken is 6'3" and we built even the kitchen counters 4" higher as well as the bath room sinks. Nice adjustment for tall people.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! what a difference :0).
    You know you have to be brave to take that on...you never know what you are going to find underneath the old stuff. So glad it went well and you missed the mess, the swearing and the whole drama. Perfect!

    Happy Sewing

    ReplyDelete
  14. The first thing I replaced in my new home was all the toilets: low flow "high boys". They are great for the elderly--planning on getting there someday (LOL). And then grab bars everywhere in the bathroom. Just planning ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Can I borrow handy Hubster for about 6 months. Wonderful job on all the updates you/he have done to home and cabin.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You had one of those PINK tubs! Brought back memories of my Childhood home I posted on FB about last night. Glad your Hubby had fun being Mr Fix-It while you were gone.
    Good Job!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Bonnie - when getting your new toilet try to get one with an oblong vs round bowl. We replaced our short round with a taller oblong and boy what a difference!

    ReplyDelete
  18. A new bathroom is in my future too! Only we are moving it across the hall from where it is now...so more work involved. Loved how your bathroon turned out very nice!! Extra bonus I think that you didn't have to be there during the mess!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. We just finished converting our smallest bedroom into a very nice sized bathroom. We have a separate shower and tub, put in a taller vanity and chose the higher commode. No regrets. I am thinking into the future as we age and find mobility difficult. The new bathroom (Yes, that is what we call it) has room for walkers, wheelchair or whatever else we may need as we decline in years.
    But, on a happy note, I am the healthiest I have been in years and continue to improve everyday. I love my personal trainer, running, kick boxing and yoga. I'm a beast :)
    Enjoy your new bathroom :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Don't you just love our "getter done men"?! We have been in our home 3 years and have yet to get started on remodeling. I am in the process of painting master bedroom, as life lets me, buts that's it so far. Lots of barn remodeling done first, you see who counts around here;)
    Hugs, Chris

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow! Great work! Seems like your hubby has found yet another justification to buy more tools at Lowes next time ;)
    I really love the fact that he did it all alone while you were gone and that he kept you posted with photos... what a great husband you have! (guess I need to get me a handyman as well to give my 1970's mint green bathroom a well needed re-do...) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I need your Hubby! LOL. Mine could save hour life or put out a house fire.... but for the life pf you do NOT ut a power tool in his hand!
    My Mother (who was an AMAZING seamstress) would have said its like alterations tow wedding dress ... most brides would die of they saw the in between process when it is in 6 pieces! ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yeah for Dave! Being tall, you will really love the taller toilet and counters. We did that in all the bathrooms when we built this house last year. My knees really love the extra height.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Isn't it great to get the work done without having to hire somebody. It looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  25. WOWOW... that is a great job Bonnie! And I am sure you both will love it, worth the work.

    Isn't nice to do something like this and have the pride that comes from it being well done! Congratulations.

    Smiles, JulieinTN

    ReplyDelete
  26. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Isn't a handyman in the family great!!LOL!! We did the same. Hubby wanted rock flooring in the shower I said ok, wasn't thrilled but it looks really nice. I prefer small bathrooms too!! Easy to clean!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Very nice. A great job well done. It is quilt an accomplishment!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. How nice to give a man a sledge hammer, and end up with something beautiful! LOL This new shower looks awesome! That's a good hubby! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Congratulations! I'm jealous of your new shower... my entire bathroom needs to be replaced and I'm not that handy yet. Someday!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Either
    A: Can I borrow Dave?
    B: Can he start Tub Cam?
    C: Can I borrow Dave?
    D: All of the above

    Awesome!! I have a feeling that, even though we did bath fitter, we ware going to have to take it all out and re-do

    ReplyDelete
  32. You'll love your new TT (taller toilet) when you get that far with your project. My husband put one in for us a few years ago. When I first used it I said "Wow! It even came right up to meet me!" DH will never let me forget that one. Happy renovation.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Bless your DH's heart! He did an outstanding job. I am so impressed! And he has impeccable timing. Very thoughtful and talented gentleman! I think you will appreciate your new bathroom all the more knowing that Dave did all that work himself. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Jan VanDe3:30 AM EDT

    Boy I have been begging for this is my bathroom, the older I get the harder is is to step over the tub and get into take a shower. The tub hasn't worked as a tub for years. Maybe I need to take a trip;) But I would need to order the new shower before I left so He would not have that excuse;) Then he might get a round to it:) Love him but procrastination is his motto;)

    ReplyDelete
  35. It is really nice! However personally, I LOVE A LITTLE DEMO WORK!!!! that sledge hammer can be fun, poking holes in the wall..... I like it! specially if some one else is going to fix it up.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Wonderful, wonderful job on you bathroom. We purchased a new house several years ago, but the toilets were awful. Last year, after much research we replaced all three toilets with American Standard Champions (the one that show you flushing a bucket of golf balls). The best purchase we ever made. Never clog and are "ever clean" Love, love,love our toilets. Boy do I need a life, LOL

    ReplyDelete
  37. So wonderful to be done while you were out. Does Hubster know he has a cameo in the shower doors lolo

    ReplyDelete
  38. Your hubster is a good, good man! The bathroom is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  39. The new bathroom is divine

    sao in MIDLOTHIAN, VA

    ReplyDelete
  40. Nicely done... ahem, we need one in our basement... if he's hiring out! LoL... One of these days we will get it done. Our problem is finding a kit with a window. It sure turned out great. Tell him good work! My DH isn't allowed to do plumbing anymore. We won't go there. Let's just say we are both happier when he doesn't do it.

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)