>>>>

Sunday, March 16, 2014

Talkin’ Turkey All Day Long!

OliverSprings_March2014 113
I’ve often said this – but if someone came up and told me that I had to pick only ONE genre of quilt that I could do for the rest of my days, STRING PIECING would be at the top of my list.

I just love everything about it, and I think we have several converts after yesterday’s Talkin’ Turkey class in Oliver Springs, TN with the Ritzy Thimble quilt guild.

How fun is this?  Using string pieced areas to fill in what would normally be a large shape of one fabric.  Weeeeee!

It’s so fun to see what everyone brings – how deep they dig to show these old scraps the light of day and see how beautiful they are when they are sewn together.

OliverSprings_March2014 055

Cutting table fun!

We covered foundation squares, trimmed them to side, sliced them on the diagon, and de-papered them!

OliverSprings_March2014 090

We built our center 9-patch units, taking care that they measured what they needed to so that our string triangles would fit them correctly.

OliverSprings_March2014 095

We did demos on how to do flying geese 3 different ways so each could choose the method that gave them their best success, knowing that we all like to work differently and that no ONE method is perfect for everyone.

OliverSprings_March2014 118

By the end of class we had beautiful blocks in all color ways and lots of happy smiling faces, proud of their accomplishments!

Talkin’ Turkey is found in my book String Fling.  Signed copies can be ordered from my book store HERE.

Click the image below if you can’t view the slide show on your mobile device.  You’ll be taken directly to the photo album for viewing.
Talkin' Turkey, Oliver Springs TN 2014



Our workshop today is Dancing Nines, starting at 12:30pm so I have some quiet time to myself this morning to catch up on email, sew a little, rest a little and head out about 12:00pm for another round of sewing with the girls.
Are you watching the free shows over at The Quilt Show??  You have free access until this evening so get over there and get watching!

Click Here to like our Quiltville Friends Page on Facebook for more fun!

Click Here to join our sister group, Quiltville's Open Studio on Facebook, a place to Sew, Share & Grow!!

11 comments:

  1. Lu Anne Scott10:32 AM EDT

    Everyone looks like they're having a great time! What a wonderful way to spend a Saturday!!

    The light colored tracks on the sea green background will be awesome! I hope we get to see it when it's finished!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love string quilts….and I have started working on this quilt in blues. I can't wait to get back to work on it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These blocks are lovely. In general, I do not care for string quilts. They are too chaotic for my CDO (that is OCD alphabetical like it ought to be!!), but these have just the right balance. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. TIENE UN BLOG PRECIOSO ,ME ENCANTA EL BLOQUE QUE ESTAN HACIENDO , BBSSSSS.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, just when I thought I knew which quilt patterns of yours I wanted to make, there appeared another one. Yes, I have your books, but when I get to see how others have made the quilt and get to see closeups, then I want to start sewing on that pattern right away. You never cease to amaze me, Bonnie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They did "Good"!!! I am saving reds for this pattern.

    Oak Ridge is a very historic and important place .. probably not very well known outside this area. Glad you are here!

    Smiles, JulieinTN

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is one of my favorites in your book and on my list to make. I don't know when I will have that many reds though...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Are you all watching the free Quilt show espisodes? 1311 with Lyric Kinard was awesome !! Help with color and design...can't believe how much I learned in one program!! Bonnie I'm so glad you posted this!! Thank you for telling us about the free shows!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow. What beautiful squares.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Talking Turkey is a UFO for me in 2014. I coordinated a swap for the 9-patch and strings blocks between ~12 of us. Reds of course! Working on the nearly 1K flying geese, OMG, but it will be worth it. Lovely design. Pre-ordered your book, can't wait till it arrives at my door. Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very pretty block, I'm glad you all had a great time working on quilts.

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)