>>>>

Wednesday, March 19, 2014

A bit more Antiquing Fun!

OliverSprings_March2014 018
Outside of Knoxville TN lies the sleepy little town of Clinton, TN.

Twice a year, Clinton is the home of the Clinch River Antiques Festival – held in October and in May of every year.

DANG! I was early!  This year the festival is May 3rd, 2014 -- Over 100 Antique Dealers come to Clinton’s Historic Downtown to present a fantastic Antiques and Collectibles Show.

Since I wasn’t there on the right weekend, I still took time to walk through the stores on main street – MANY of them!

Of course you know the tile entry to this old shop caught my eye…hexies in the center with that great Grecian key border ---LOVE tile entries and floors!

The following are a smattering of things I found on my wander through town:

OliverSprings_March2014 020

1930s carpenters wheel!

OliverSprings_March2014 021

Isn’t that blue vibrant against the red?

This quilt was hand pieced and hand quilted in baptist fans.  I love that there is no bottom border…it’s just bound where it ended.  Must be an Appalachian thing – I see that a lot in North Carolina quilts too.

OliverSprings_March2014 022

Hooray for quilt ladders with vintage string quilts!

OliverSprings_March2014 023

Top of the ladder – 30s prints galore!

OliverSprings_March2014 024

Who can resist an old pine cupboard filled with pottery and a wooly tied one-patch quilt hanging on the door?  I love the simplicity and comfort this image brings to mind!

OliverSprings_March2014 025

A pretty ratty “Kansas Dugout!”

OliverSprings_March2014 026

An AMAZING “Chips & Whetstone”  Very closely quilted in fans!

OliverSprings_March2014 027

Scrappy Lone Star hung over a cupboard door in soft colors.

OliverSprings_March2014 030

This one was really interesting!

The blocks are definitely early 1900s..but the setting fabric?  1920s? 1930s?  INTERESTING to imagine the story of how this quilt was finally set together.  I love quilts that leave me wondering –this one definitely does!

OliverSprings_March2014 031

Quilt spread out ---

OliverSprings_March2014 032

My hand to give an idea of the piecing scale --

OliverSprings_March2014 033

Who wouldn't love a big chunky crazy patch?  Possibly 1920s.

OliverSprings_March2014 034

Another sweet and simple quilt of squares, this time a 9 patch, tied.

OliverSprings_March2014 035

Oh look!  A machine!  ((No, it didn’t come home!))

OliverSprings_March2014 036

Another cupboard straight out of Country Living ---

Love the Dresden Plate quilt folded on the top shelf for a bit of color.

OliverSprings_March2014 037

Baskets – without handles?!

OliverSprings_March2014 038

No handle found here!

Sweet fabrics, and doesn’t it make you wonder why she chose to do no handles? Maybe this is fruit BOWL instead of BASKET?   This one has had a lovely life keeping folks warm and comfy while they dreamed.  There is a story to this quilt ---what stories could it tell us?

OliverSprings_March2014 039

And this…my favorite of all.  with only ONE block going the “other” way!

OliverSprings_March2014 040

FUN colors and fabrics!

Things I noticed right away about this quilt, besides the one tree turned the “other” direction ((Notice that I did NOT say WRONG!!)) :  The green sashing doesn’t go around the whole quilt to act as an inner border…it just divides the blocks, but does not frame.  Several of the trees are dark colors on a light background, but many are the opposite – light trees on dark grounds.  I really like that effect.

It was a great day to wander before finally winding my way to Oliver Springs, TN and checking in for my weekend of fun there.

If you are anywhere near Knoxville and have a chance, make a stop in Clinton, TN --- you will be charmed by the town’s main street and who knows what treasures you will find!


Click Here to like our Quiltville Friends Page on Facebook for more fun!

Click Here to join our sister group, Quiltville's Open Studio on Facebook, a place to Sew, Share & Grow!!

6 comments:

  1. I am so glad you got to stop in Clinton TN. We go to the festivals every year and the antiques are stunning. Lots of sewing machines, spinning wheels, baskets and assorted everything there as well as some good food and lots of people. I hope you are not too tired to enjoy your time in Pigeon Forge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:30 PM EDT

    I wonder if the quilts without a border on one side were meant to be placed on a bed with that side near the top, and tucked over and around the pillows. Just a thought....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:46 PM EDT

    My thoughts on the no borders quilt.... borders take more fabric. The Appalachian people were pretty poor, so they just had to use whatever was on hand. The fabric that went into borders would be saved for another quilt. Just my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Years ago, the beds had metal head and tail boards and therefore the quilts were tucked around the bottom of the mattress which would negate the need to waste extra fabric. Read this in a book someplace. The quilts were lovely.
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Clinton, Tenn. too. I took of picture of Wender's too. Thanks for the reminder. Love the way you take pictures of quilts. What camera do you use?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous5:03 PM EDT

    I forgot you were coming. A friend wanted me to look at her picture on your blog, and I scrolled backward through some of your posts. You were about 15 miles from my house when you were looking at quilts in Clinton! That area is part of my ward and stake, too. Sorry I missed you this time - maybe next time.

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)