>>>>

Tuesday, May 28, 2019

When Feed Dogs Don’t Feed!


This is my project machine -

The cabinet needed a bit of work  - some slats that held the drawer sections together had come loose, and it’s been sitting in the utility room here at the cabin since we brought it up last winter -

Oh, the gluing and clamping happened right away -

It’s the “I really want to dig into this machine and get her up and running!” mojo that just didn’t hit me until the past week.

Every time I would walk by her I’d think to myself – SOON!  Very soon!


A gift for Quiltville Inn from Elisabeth in Greensboro -

Isn’t she a beauty?

The only problem being – I didn’t know what she was.  I didn’t know any other machines that had this shape – with the rounded back end.  She is a badged machine – the name someone gave her being nearly worn off to illegible on her crossbar. O.G. HDW.


So interesting!!

She doesn’t have a detachable face plate – and those decals!


And that round end!

I’m glad she came WITH the cabinet.  I think I would have a very difficult time finding a cabinet that would fit this machine if it didn’t come with one.


Interesting shuttle and bobbins, too!

The shuttle has a post, and the bobbins are hollow – they ride on the post inside the shuttle.  And wonder of wonders, I’ve got the shuttle and three blessed bobbins.  If ANYTHING on this machine would be missing – the first thing I’d guess would be the shuttle and bobbins.  And then the bobbin slide cover.  Nope!  All present and accounted for.


Bobbin storage in cabinet center drawer.


Beautiful cabinet with Eastlake details -

Drawers also need handles.

I love being on the lookout for something like this.

So why won’t she sew?  Click to Play:


Evidently there is a SPRING that is missing that holds the feed dogs against the cam to move the feed dogs the correct way which moves the fabric under the presser foot.


See the spring from the left side?

Through discussions on a treadle machine Facebook group, I have come in contact with some fine folks and one of them may have a parts machine of this variety in her garage. 

With any good luck I still may be able to get this little lady up and running.

Why with so many machines am I worried about this ONE working?  It’s like kittens.  You want to help the hurt one.  Or at least I do.  I want her to sew.  I want her to be happy at Quiltville Inn.  I would love other people to be able to give their feet a try at treadling her.  She needs to be more than just room décor or a bedside table.


With the desire to treadle still pushing me -

And since I had all of my tools out -

This lady got a good cleaning and oiling last night, and some string block piecing fit the bill of “feet on pedal, rocking my treadle.”  It will do.  For now.


Shades are up at the Quiltville Post Office!

And though you can barely see it, let me just say that it takes longer to tape off above and below the baseboards than it does to actually paint them.  But there is something so satisfying about freshly painted baseboards!

The next round of baseboards will be even that much easier to paint – they aren’t attached to the wall yet.  So the plan for today is to go set up the saw horses and paint 100 ft of baseboards that will be installed after we finish painting the 3 back rooms at the Post Office – bathroom, Postmaster’s Office (My computer room) and the back storage room/back entry.

Yesterday was a Monday that felt like a Sunday, Today is a Tuesday that feels like a Monday and our whole week is short-sheeted by a day.

I’ve got to head home on Thursday for some appointments and to get mail order out, I’ll be back up on Friday to continue the work here.


Supervising is hard work!!

And before I forget -

This morning I drew for our winner of the July/Aug 2019 Quiltmaker Bundle!


This bundle is heading out to:


Entry 1607 of 4263!


Dell Bond!

Congrats!

Dell, I’ve sent you an email to the address you provided with your entry.  Please reply with your mailing address and I will get this package right out to you.  Congrats!

And I think that catches us up to now.  There is a paint brush calling my name and it is a beautiful May morning out there.  I’m going to enjoy the last few days of my favorite month.


Quiltville Quote of the Day

And sometimes that also means many false starts and stops and sleepless nights!

But don't give up the dream!

I love the simplicity of this beautiful Mid 19th century four-patch.

Have a wonderful Tuesday, folks!


10 comments:

  1. Thank you for blogging, I love reading them. Just a tip about painting, when the boards are attached to the walls I find it easier to paint the molding and baseboards first. Then I cut in the walls with a sash brush and no taping. I love NO TAPING! My husband showed me how to cut the windows in without taping. It just takes a little practice and now we never tape. The big thing is an angled sash brush 1.5 - 2 inches and not too much paint. Good Luck! Love the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn’t technology wonderful! To be able to reach out to thousands of people about something so obscure as an old sewing machine with no identifying marks, and find another person with one...who can answer you question. Can’t wait to see her running!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your dream is getting closer! Sorry you feel you lost a day. I enjoyed my roadtrip day. No sewing happened. That's life. The machine is so pretty, glad it gets to stay up. Hope the spring helps it sew.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I had some of your energy and drive. !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh My! The treadle is such a beauty - she'll really sparkle when you get her up and running. Love the quote of the day (every day), and today's touched me in an odd way because I am not sure if I have a dream. I enjoy a wonderful life and am truly grateful each day, but no special dream to work toward. Perhaps building my skills and creativity as a quilter can be my dream. Your post is my first read of each day - Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful machine! And then, the contrast with the very humble 4 patch quilt, also beautiful in its own way. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Any problems you have with machines, call Lester at Ashe Sewing Center in West Jefferson. He’s amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a gorgeous machine! What a gift. Loft the bobbin case! Thank you for sharing. When is the I am open date for Quiltville Inn? Projected date?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Around Mother's Day 2020. So a year away.

      Delete
  9. When you come to Hershey, Hinkletown sewing machine shop services treadle machines. He is Old Order Mennonite and services machines for the amish in our area. If you can't find a part, you can message me and I can give you their contact #. They don't have a booth at Hershey because the show runs on Sunday. momjjaa@aol.com

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)