>>>>

Thursday, September 01, 2011

Show & Tell Thursday!

Yes, it’s that time again! It’s been a few weeks and I’ve got plenty in my inbox to share with you!

Again, these posts this week are all being written ahead of time as we are on our Caribbean Quilting Cruise adventure with Sew Many Places! Hopefully Lori and I are relaxing with our toes in the sand, noses in books, cool drinks by our elbows and enjoying a bit of island adventures as well as quilting our brains out when we are not in port!

In May, I visited the Piecemakers Quilt Guild of Athens, Alabama. It seems like forever ago already, but it was only 4 months ago…and I so very well remember that day, and the thunderstorm rolling through and taking the power out! Some things are so very unforgettable.

Since that workshop day -- Ada has been SO busy!

adahawksnest1

She made Hawks Nest from Scraps & Shirttails II! Honestly, when I was finishing up this quilt myself, putting my borders on, starting the text writing, and came to the fact that it had a trazillion gazillion half square triangles that finished at 1.5”—I wondered if anyone would be crazy brave enough to tackle this quilt!

I’m so glad to see that I am not the only loonie tune in the box when it comes to my love of many small pieces. I love piecing to be a challenge…something to enjoy for the whole process, not just to sew it together in a day and call it done.

Ada, your quilt turned out BEAUTIFUL! Thank you so much for sharing the picture with us!

cathywitt1

This is Cathy Witt’s Tumalo Trail Quilt, also from Scraps & Shirttails II!

She writes:

Bonnie, now that you are back from your trip, I thought you might enjoy seeing pics of your Tumalo Trail I just finished... I actually started it the day I received your book back in March, but had to put it on hold due to a request from a non-quilter friend for a custom made RRCB (after she saw mine ). Once I finished the second RRCB I was able to get back to Tumalo Trail. It was a pleasure to piece... your patterns are always just perfect.

I have not made a quilt by any other pattern/designer since I stumbled onto your website two years ago. I started off by participating in your Carolina Christmas mystery and was hooked ever since.

Thanks so much for everything you do.

Cathy in TN

cathywitt2

Close up of piano key border and quilting detail.

Cathy! Thank you so much for sharing your gorgeous quilt with me! This one just shines! What a great collection of scraps you used….and thank you so much for the sweet compliments. :c)

Next up is Yvonne!

yvonne1

Yvonne’s Blue Ridge Beauty units turned into jacob's ladders and took a turn into a different lay out! Isn’t this great?! I love blue and purple together --

Yvonne writes:

Bonnie,

This is the leaders and enders I was working on during my other projects. Eventually it became my primary of course cause I was itching to see it.

Happy scrappy sewing to you!

Yvonne in Chilliwack, BC

Thanks for sharing, Yvonne! And you are not alone…my leader/ender projects often niggle at me to become “REAL” projects too! Ummmm….I hear those 3” cheddar bow-ties calling my name as I type this!

Cindy Broadway has been quilting like crazy!

cindybroadway1

This is Cindy’s Maverick Stars quilt….I love what she did with the inner border, don’t you?

She writes:

Dear Bonnie,

A fellow quilter introduced me to your website and I love it!! I have always considered myself a "scrap quilter" and your patterns have been a delight.

When I began quilting, I couldn't afford to purchase new fabric and tried to use all those left over pieces from years of sewing for my family. Now I belong to a guild that does primarily charity quilts; so I enjoy using your patterns to make those just a bit more special.

I like the new web set up for your patterns and think the directions are easier to follow. I have attached some photos to share those I've tried and given away.

One of my favorites was the "Maverick Stars" using the tiny triangles from piecing bindings in reply to a challenge from my guild members who were going to throw them away!!! I used several of their other smaller pieces to make the inner border as well. Thanks for the many ideas.
Keep the inspiration coming.

A quilting friend.
Cindy

cindybroadway2

Cindy’s Crayon Box quilt just zings with that lime green border! How many 2.5” strips could you get rid of with this quilt? Anything goes…use it up!

cindybroadway3

Boxy Stars is another great free pattern to use up those 2.5” strips. It works great with a Jelly Roll, peeps --- You should give it a try! Work it up in a planned color scheme, or go as Cindy did…play scrappy!

cindybroadway4

Whooowhooo!! Look at the fun and wonderful strings that Cindy was able to give place to in this quilt! This one is Diamond Strings, and I’m itching to make another one of these! That bright bubble gum pink is a great accent color, isn’t it? It just pops!

Thank you ladies, for sharing your beautiful quilts with me so I could in turn share them back with all of you!

I don’t do “Show and Tell Thursday” every week, but as time and space allows. If you have a Quiltville quilt that you would like to share, please email me a photo along with a little story about the quilt! Your quilt could appear here!

8 comments:

  1. I love the quilts, but what is that animal?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in awe of Cathy who, since March, not only made Tumalo Trail but another RRCB??? BTW JoyceT, that is a hedgehog :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing the inspiration, Bonnie. These ladies made some real beauties!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic quilts, every one of them. Glad I don't have to pick a favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A friend started making Crayon Box blocks and when she came up for air had 86 of them sewn. She loves your designs. (I do too. I have all my neutral string blocks ready to cut and sew for RCCB.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yup, my plate is full, but I still printed of another "0H!! LOOK!!" pattern!!!

    I am really hoping you are enjoying your time in the sun and this cuise is as fun as I think they are!!! Enjoy the umbrella drinks and the water and the sand - you will be home soon and I can hardly wait to hear all about it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The ripple effect is palpable. Someday I will send you a Crayon Box pic... someday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are all wonderful quilts. I've just finished my Star-Struck from Rd2CA Workshop in Jan11. My Hawk's Nest is with Kerry's Quilting presently and my pink Jamestown Landing is on my sewing table. I'll be sending photos soon. Sandi

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)