>>>>

Saturday, September 17, 2011

Hello, Home!

This is so crazy. It’s 55 degrees at home. It was 101 in Winfield, Kansas on Sunday afternoon, or was that Monday? But you know what? When I got home last night, I threw that second quilt on top of the bed, and still slept with the window cracked open a bit and it was BLISS!

I love Autumn. I love the temp changes, the color changes…..the only thing I have a hard time with is the losing of the daylight hours. I’m ready for Jammies 2 hours past dark….in fact, on Thursday night, we were done with class and had the room packed up by 5pm. We were at dinner at 5:30 pm. I was back in my ROOM by 6:30 pm….and since it was raining out, it was getting dark, and I didn’t have anywhere to be, anywhere to go, and no jacket to bundle up in ((All I packed was a denim over-shirt because I get cold on planes and you never know when someone’s a/c is on overdrive!)) I decided it was jammie-time at 6:30pm!

My digs? The Hotel Josephine in Holton, Kansas –circa 1889!

hoteljosephine4

Here is the hotel as it appeared circa 1890!

hoteljosephine3

The lobby

kansas_sept2011 191

1850’s pianoforte. Of course, it said “please do not play piano!”

My room was so cozy..I had a king sized bed all to myself, fun antique period furniture, a little bath….all the comforts of home. Knowing it was going to be a chilly night, and doubting that they would have the antique radiators humming yet, I grabbed a trunk-show quilt and piled it on the bed to tuck me in nice and cozy.

TNT was running a marthon on a show called “Castle” and it held my interest and kept me from being lulled into re-run-land on stuff I’d already seen! I stitched hexagons in bed until I couldn’t keep my eyes open any longer.

hoteljosephine2

Isn’t this pretty? this is the view from the closet looking toward the doorway to the hall. What I loved is that every room is decorated differently. And if the room is not rented out, the doors are kept open so you can peek in and get a good look at the different décor in each room! It really was like walking back in time.

kansas_sept2011 140

From the door toward the closet..the bathroom is off the little alcove where the closet is.

kansas_sept2011 141

Even the window treatments were pretty without being over-done! Can you see the radiator….I bet it gives off nice heat in the winter months!

And yes, I know this blog post is late in coming today. This morning DH whisked me off to breakfast out. I love breakfast out! Of course, his ulterior motive was to stop at Lowes for yet more household fix-it stuff!

kansas_sept2011 217

While I’ve been gone he’s been busy laying the new floor in the sunroom! It looks great! And today….we spent the morning painting trim and fixing things in that sunroom.

It’s still got a ways to go yet, but I’ll post those pics later!

It’s nearly 2pm, we haven’t had lunch…and here I thought I had all this time home, and guess who leaves for Alaska on Tuesday? Accckkk!

9 comments:

  1. Thank you so very much for the glimpses of the "Hotel Josephine" in Holton!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:52 PM EDT

    Loved the hotel Bonnie, but you are heading back to Alaska already? You don't even stop long enough to get jet lag. Rest up, stay well, and keep quilting.
    Faye Bushey, Maine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Saturday morning sounds like mine. We went to breakfast - no special place, just Waffle House, but we went to Lowe's for hubby;s project right afterwards. I am not helping him with his project, I am sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous5:10 PM EDT

    Breakfast out is a treat and Lowe's (or Home Depot) is a Saturday "ritual" for us. I remember when we actually used to "date". LOL Enjoy your time home and I'll be checking in to see how Alaska goes! Flatlander (Linda) Canends@Hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I would love to stay in that hotel! What a treat.
    So what flooring did you finally choose for the sunroom, since smurf turf was ruled out?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love oldfashioned hotels like that! We stayed in one on Cape Breton in Nova Scotia. That show "Castle" is one of my favourites.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That hotel is fabulous. I have stayed in historic hotels that were a letdown once you got to the rooms, but your accomodations were charming. It looks like there was s cupola on the roof above the entrance. Wonder why it was removed?

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a nice hotel Bonnie!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Busy as ever Bonnie. That hotel looks really cool. I love how little it changed over the years.

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)