>>>>

Thursday, December 25, 2014

Merry Christmas, with Piece and Love!



I’ve been up a while.  Not a long while, but long enough to greet the day with reflection.

Hubby and dog still sleeping upstairs.

Grown-up younger son sleeping downstairs.

I think he forgot to turn off his alarm on his phone, it went off precisely at 7am, which is the time he usually gets up for work.  The tune sounds like a music box, filtering up through the ceiling above where he was sleeping to me, pulling me out of my dreams.

Christmas is filled with such simple joys this year.

A cozy fireplace.

A scented candle.

Home baked cookies that are snatched off the cooling rack as soon as I place them there.  I watch big grown-up child hands sticking fingers in the cookie dough, and the smile across his face brings to mind the sweet child he once was – still is—within that 6’4” body.

My heart swells with love, gratitude, and a mother's pride over the man her boy-child has become.

Today will be simple, just the three of us, and of course our thoughts will be with the one son not able to make it and wishing he were here.

I’m also so proud of my elder son, Jason.  A hard worker, a tender heart, always ready with a smile and willing to give whatever he can to get the job done.  He worked the closing shift at his job last night, and works the opening shift tomorrow which makes the drive up here from South Carolina just not worth it for one day, and I understand.  But I miss him and his absence is felt.

Our family tradition includes a movie matinee before coming home to our Christmas dinner, so we’ve chosen to go see The Hobbit this afternoon.

After dinner, Jeff will head back down the mountain toward home because he, too has to be at work tomorrow morning.

20141224_182611-1

Last Night’s Movie Fest:  Back to the Future Trilogy!

Jeff on one couch with the dog, the Hubster on the other, and me in my comfy chair, feet up on the ottoman binding to the glow of my IKEA lamp!  I’m happy to say that the Big Blue Boise Monstrosity is completely bound and has been handed over for the guys to fight over!

There are still a couple bindings to work on over the next couple of days:  My Carolina Chain needs the hanging sleeve sewn down, and I still have yet to start the binding, sleeve and label on Box Kite.

However..this is shaping up nicely:

20141225_072136

Blue and neutrals, Scrappy Log Cabin Love!

I posted the following poem last year, and should have last night, but we were deep in binding fest 2014!  ((And laughing at Back to the Future since they were visiting 2015!  How come we don’t have flying cars yet??))


'Twas the night before Christmas,

And the quilts were not made.

The threads were all tangled, the cookies delayed.

The stockings weren't hung, the pantry was bare.

The poor weary Quilter, was tearing her hair.

Stacks of fat quarters, tipped over in streams.

Visions of Log Cabins, had turned into dreams.

When what to her wondering eyes should appear,

But a bus full of quilters with all of their gear.

They went straight to work with just a few mutters,

Sorting and stitching and brandishing cutters.

The patterns emerged from all of the clutter,

Like magic the fabrics arranged in a flutter

Log Cabins, Lone Stars, Flying Geese & Bear Tracks

Each quilt was a beauty-even the backs.

Her house how it twinkled, her quilts how they glowed.

The cookies were baking, the stockings were sewed.

Their work was all done, so they folded their frames,

And packed up their needles, without giving their names.

They boarded the bus, and checked the next address.

More quilts to be made, another quilter in distress.

She heard one voice echo, as they drove out of sight,

Happy quilting to all and to all a good night!

~Author Unknown

Merry Merry, Happy Happy, Quilty Quilty Y'all!!


Click Here to like our Quiltville Friends Page on Facebook for more fun!

Click Here to join our sister group, Quiltville's Open Studio on Facebook, a place to Sew, Share & Grow!!

31 comments:

  1. My dog, Charlie is my alarm clock! He is up early every morning and ready to be let out and fed. Such a sweet Christmas poem. Have a wonderful Christmas day with your family. Thank you for all the help and the patterns you have generously shared with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merry Christmas, Bonnie, to you and yours.

    AndiRae in MN

    ReplyDelete
  3. bonnie, the best of christmases to you and your family....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Merry Christmas and love the poem--enjoy your family time! We are dog sitting for our Granddog, 'Kota, so (if this OL RAIN ever stops!) we will go to the beach to let her run...what fun on a gloomy day...huygs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  5. Merry Christmas from the high desert in California. We are here with the new grand daughter who arrived just one week ago today! Such a sweet & precious gift! No tree, or gifts or fancy dinner this year. Just the happiest, most wonderful Christmas yet!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Merry Christmas from Boone. Loved your reflections.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Merry Christmas, Bonnie and thank you for so much inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Had to giggle...last binding completed at 12:12 am on Christmas day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We saw the Hobbit on Christmas eve in a fancy new movie theatre that serves you dinner while the movie is playing. My son, who is 20 very much enjoyed the movie as he loves dragons.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Merry Christmas from Portland, Oregon. It won't be so quiet here, but I'm still hoping for a little sewing at some point. The blues and neutrals -- my favorite combination and the setting looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bonnie R from Georgia11:25 AM EST

    Merry Christmas, Bonnie-and family. I so much appreciate and am thankful for all you do to instruct, organize, and keep us in "stitches" daily:) I really enjoy reading your daily thoughts and seeing the beautiful scenery thru your pictures. Thank you - and Happy New Year, too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You never cease to amaze me! You are so talented. Love the Log Cabins. Merry Christmas from snowy Wyoming.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous12:13 PM EST

    Love the poem, Bonnie!! Have a wonderful Christmas! Try to get some r&r in before the 29th, too! Chat in the New Year. Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  14. Merry Christmas from France, Bonnie, and thanks for all !

    ReplyDelete
  15. Tracey Honig1:18 PM EST

    Merry Christmas!! I just love the poem! and the log cabin block is next on my list to learn... I am loving where you are going with yours!! Have a wonderful day!! 💜

    ReplyDelete
  16. Merry Christmas, Bonnie & to your family as well. A quiet day here in North Ft. Myers as we chose not to celebrate due to my recent illness & the fact my only daughter & son in law are unabe to make it down from Massachusetts. A lite dinner & maybe a quick swim.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Merry Christmas to you and your dear family Bonnie. The strewn wrappings have been gathered, Christmas brunch was delicious, and now we reflect on what was, what is, and what may be.It is with a thankful heart I chill on this warm Christmas afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Merry Christmas from Beaverton Oregon. Love the poem, Bonnie. Thanks for this wonderful Quiltville community and mystery. Much happiness and success to you and yours in 2015!

    ReplyDelete
  19. as a child I got a book, or one was given to the family, and me being youngest thought it was mine... the drawings are of '50's style cars, or there abouts, with wings that fold to the sides of the cars so then out they fly, and also TRANSFORMER like convert into a boat. Where are these inventions? Only on 007!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy Holidays to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love the log cabin blocks. The colors are so soothing, and also like the layout a lot. I have not tried one of those, but it is on my "To Do"list. Also enjoyed the poem. Can relate, I was finishing the binding on my nieces gift at 1:28 this morning. And still had a few gifts to wrap including hers once it was finished. But it all came together well. It was my first ever actually quilted piece. I've pieced several tops, but have not quilted them. This was not very large so I decided to try it myself. Loved it!!! Also loved doing the binding, of course after again reading your tips about binding. Just to be sure I was remembering correctly. My niece loved it and my nephew's wife and my other nephew's girlfriend asked me if I'd teach them how to sew. I don't think they want to quilt, but hopefully they will later on. I think them asking me to teach them was one of my best Christmas gifts of all. I hope your family had a wonderful day, and many ones for the upcoming New Year.
    Rae (not sure if I'm a no-reply person or not, know I was at one time, then tried to change that. So just in case here's my addy. nrhaller@aol.com 641

    ReplyDelete
  22. Anonymous11:42 PM EST

    The thing about Christmas, is that we should be having these feelings of peace & good will in June too !! Bonnie I am so looking forward to seeing you again in Oct 2015 in WA :-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Merry Christmas, Bonnie! Thank you for the wonderful blog, the ONLY blog I follow. And thanks for all of your wonderful patterns and books. Much happiness and success to you in 2015.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Fransancroft@gmail.com12:26 AM EST

    I hapy your Christmas was like mine full of family, and food..we watched "Frozen" which the grandaughters loved - they are 3 and 5.. then my daughter in law anounced that we are expecting another one in the summer. So I have another quilt to make, yippee! Fran in Pickering, Ontario

    ReplyDelete
  25. I hope you had a very Merry Christmas! All the best for the new year!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks for your inspiring work--all that and poetry too!

    marie as mgodfrey39@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. Your Christmas day sounded wonderful to me. Love what you are doing with the log cabins. I may have to start cutting blue/neutral strips from my scraps ow. I do love log cabins a lot. Hope you have a great New Year and hope to see you again in 2015 in MO.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Anonymous3:54 AM EST

    Merry Christmas to you as well Bonnie,you are a true inspiration to us all!
    It's Boxing Day here ,so enjoy you Boxing Day as well!! 🎄🎄 🎁🎁 🎉 🎅
    Jane in England

    ReplyDelete
  29. Merry Christmas to you dear Bonnie from our JA -1 Sewing Machine manufacturing unit. Have a lovely New Year ahead too....

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wonderful poem, can't understand how I missed it last year! LoL.... now if only we all could have help like that!
    Merry Christmas! Hope it was thoroughly enjoyable and relaxing!

    ReplyDelete
  31. You are so thoughtful and I loved your poem. Can you share some poems for the holiday party that I am arranging for my little princess and her friends? I want her to learn this with fun.

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)