>>>>

Wednesday, December 10, 2014

And it’s Only Wednesday?!

20141209_230051-1
This was the look I got from Miss Emmy Lou as I crawled into bed last night --

It’s about time you paid some attention to me, mom!

Poor sweet thing, she likes to be where I am watching what I am doing.  In the sewing studio she comes and climbs up into my comfy chair and watches me while I sew or work at the computer. 

She is vocal and likes to let me know she is watching.  Meow meow meow she says.  And I must obey and come give her some ear scratches and chest rubs.

From the time we got her at just a couple months old her purr has been deep and touch activated.  You touch her, she purrs.  That’s how it works.

I love how they do that!  How do they do that?  It’s such a comforting sound.


20141210_082445

My view of the dining room this morning of last night’s work!

Since Book Vortex of 2014 is still in full swing, I again want to let you know that I am filling orders as quickly as possible in the order that they came in.  So if you ordered this past Friday…those who had ordered the several days before you are going out before yours.  This is what I call in good humor, “Take a number, ma’am!”

If you saw a news clip about 900 crazy people lined up in front of Best Buy for days just waiting for Black Friday to open?  And felt sorry for that person who is #847 in that line up?  That could be you in line for me to process these – by myself!  Because no one else can personalize and sign these for you but me.

I’m getting out about 100 orders a day.  So please be patient with me.  ((And yes, I was not kidding about the 900 orders thing!  Imagine if you are all lined up outside my front door, up my driveway and down my street!))

It’s ALL GOOD!  And my goal is to have them all out this week.

On the Broken Store front thing…we are back up and running!  YAY!  SO that is fixed.

whysewdec

I have received many messages asking me to please run the NEXT mystery at a better time of year for them.

I understand.  It’s BUSY.  It’s HECTIC.  But I want you to know that there are reasons I do this at this time of year.  The above photo  is just one of them.

For many of us it is busy -- but look around you. There are a group of quilters who are struggling daily with the loss of a loved one, or nursing a loved one through long term illnesses. There are widows and single women and men without families for whom the holidays are a grey, dreary, lonely time.
I wanted to share a comment that was left on one of my Quilt-Cams...This wraps up so much WHY I do this mystery between Thanksgiving and New Years. It gets many people through. Including me.
 
If you know someone who's lost a loved one, just know that the holidays make it doubly hard, so please keep them encircled in your friendship -- invite them to dinner, to go see the Christmas plays, concerts or lights or whatever..just don't let them sit there alone.
 
And of course, the big reason for me is that I need to be HOME to do this.  I can’t do it while I am out on the road teaching.
 
The GOOD NEWS is --- just because it is released during the holidays doesn’t mean you have to sew it then.  Sew it later.  Print the steps as they are released, participate in the excitement by watching others’ progress…but don’t sew your own until you have time.  Of course, it won’t be a mystery to you then because all will have been revealed….but that’s the way it is!
 
Over the next few days while my scenery isn’t changing and I don’t have much to post about, I’m going to share with you some cute tutorials I have found around the web ---I hope you enjoy them!
 
christmasstocking1
 
Free Pattern & Video Tutorial for this adorable elf stocking!!
 
Find the pattern and video HERE.
 
And of course, don’t forget:

 

 
I’ll see you right here, right then, everyone!


Click Here to like our Quiltville Friends Page on Facebook for more fun!

Click Here to join our sister group, Quiltville's Open Studio on Facebook, a place to Sew, Share & Grow!!

27 comments:

  1. you are just the nicest person Bonnie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm one of 'those' people Bonnie. My life isn't dreary :) but we didn't have children to keep holidays lively, and at least 1/2 the time over 40+ years Rob was out of state or country during holidays. So they never were any big deal, and now we both look forward to Mystery being the winter treat.
    Sharyn in Kalama

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish people would just be appreciative of what you do for us. This is a labor of love for us and we should remember that you are doing this for us out of the goodness of your heart. If they don't like something, keep it to themselves and quit complaining. I will get as much done as I can right now, but what I can't do now will be there when the time is right. A big THANK YOU.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am one of those solitary people, too, Bonnie. I discovered quilting over the holidays some time ago as something that helped. This mystery has upped the ante on excitement for me for the holidays. After getting back to quilting after about an 8 year hiatus, finding you and this community has made such a positive difference in my life! THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking forward to Quilt Cam tonight! I plan my day around it…and my husband will be making me tea and checking in on me while I sew along with you!

    I'm having fun working on the mystery quilt. I won't be one of the early finishers but that's fine with me. I'm just plugging along, enjoying what I'm doing and challenging myself to learn new things!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like to save the clues and work on it at a later time, mainly because my quilt room tends to become a gathering point for items when it's time to decorate. I enjoy seeing what everyone is doing though and look forward to the next clues as they come out. This time of year is hard for me as well (which seems pretty common for many), and I do appreciate your good will to create a mystery every year as you have. I don't know if the whiners have become greater in number, but maybe they are also having things going on in life and this seems like a safe place to whine... I don't know, just a thought. Either way, I hope that it doesn't get you down--or anyone else. Your giving and cheerful spirit is a light to me and everyone else who comes into contact with you--whether via your blog, in person, or otherwise. Thank you Bonnie.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous10:37 AM EST

    I got my days confused and was waiting by my computer last night for QUILT CAM!!! For Pete's Sake! I love that the mystery is this time of year. Thanks a bunch for everything.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bonnie, you are awesome for sharing your love of quilting! And to boot, even during the holidays! This is your blog, your time, your choice. As you said, we don't have to do the mystery right away. Print it and do it at our own time!!! Thank you again for all you do! Look forward to tonight, it's storming here in NY, Rea in Upstate NY

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am one of "those" people as well. My husband died of cancer last December 19 and I have two kids aged 16 and 13 and really appreciate the MQ to keep me busy as the first anniversary approaches. I love your kind words reminding others to reach out to people during this season, as sometimes it is hard to ask for help, but easy to accept an invitation!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have to laugh at Emmy Lou's expression, I also have a cat Pixie with the same looks and purrs. I also want to thank you for your mystery quilts and blog. They both keep me busy and sane. I am one of those waiting for my book order to come in the mail. Just want you to know I'm in no rush to get my book. It will be like a Christmas present to me. Again Thank You!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I so wanted to sew along with your mystery this year, but alas most of my stash is in storage and I really don't need any more so I will get to this after we move into the new house and be happy I saved the pattern. I look forward to quilt cam tonight. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. My husband had open heart surgery (11-19-14)for a value and one bypass and this GI mystery quilt has kept me centered and near him when he needs me. Thanks for all you have provided to us.
    Robin quiltnrobin@nwi.net

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous1:48 PM EST

    This year's mystery is saving me from a painful breakup. I thought it would help me through my Friday nights and weekends, which were always spent with him. I am making this year's Grand Illusion for my sister. My mother is originally from northern MI, and she took us to Mackinac Island years ago. Thank you, Bonnie, for all you do.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Even though I am not joiningthis year's mystery I am reading about everyone's choices and watching the new clues coming out..my Mom is in long term care for Alhz dementia and this happy quilt confab perks me up. thanks Bonnie for all you do,,,hugs Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am one of those who wondered why the mystery was this time of year...although I never whined anywhere but in my own head! I agree that it's your blog, and it's free to us, so I appreciated it anytime.

    But now that you've posted that comment, and I've read the others, I'll just say THANKS FOR NOT LISTENING TO THE WHINERS! I am ever-so-much-more grateful for your annual mystery, at a time when it is a gift to those who need it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Bonnie, I too, am going through the 2nd year anniversary of my son. I love getting up each day to read your blog. It does help and gives me something to focus on.
    It is your time we are waiting on and if that means it's in December so be it. GET USED TO IT EVERYONE.
    Thanks Bonnie. Keep up the the good things you share....

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous3:52 PM EST

    As I'm about to undergo surgery and follow up treatment(s) for invasive breast cancer, I thank you for giving me something exciting to focus on and to look forward too once all this 'other drama' is behind me :) Rose - NZ

    rose.nutira@paradise.net.nz

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am seriously appalled that anyone would tell you what to do or when or how. Really people? Be grateful for the sharing and caring we are gifted from Bonnie. Thank you for being so gracious as to respond in a gentle manner. You're the bestest :-) Merry Christmas to the Hunter clan.

    ReplyDelete
  19. People, people, people! Come on now do you really have the audacity to 'suggest' to the most wonderful, giving person in the quilt world that the time of year isn't 'convenient' for you. My guess is those that complain would find some reason to belly ache about it no matter what time of year it is done. I too am one that looks forward to the mystery during the holidays. Until I found Bonnie's mysteries I dreaded Christmas. I hung up the phone after talking to my mother on Christmas Eve seven years ago. Told her I would see her in a couple days but never was able to. She passed away suddenly just 20 minutes after I hung up the phone. Bonnie's yearly mystery quilt brought some life back into the holidays for me. I still have struggles this time of year, but the mystery quilt is very dear to me. I wouldn't have gotten back to doing things without it. Thanks again Bonnie for your generous, giving heart.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Bonnie- You are an AWESOME Person! Thank You for your MQ's, and ALL of your quilts. Though I do not have time to work on GIMQ right now, I am prepared to start as soon as I get Holiday projects out of the way. I do eagerly Anticipate each clue, and watching other peoples progress. I can also learn a lot from each one, so I appreciate that, also. Although I am not a solitary person, I do like my Solitude. I enjoy being at home alone, where I can cook, Bake, read or sew to my hearts content. The problem is, I have too much to chose from, too many projects, etc. So having something like this makes me do it, just as a class makes me sit down and actually work on the project. THANK YOU, Again and AGAIN!

    ReplyDelete
  21. mynanamaree@yahoo.com1:41 AM EST

    Most excellent post, Bonnie! I'm one of those who is living vicariously through all of the other super productive mystery quilters' progress. Life has truly been out of control wacked out busy around here this year, so I'm anxiously awaiting some down time in January and will most definitely start on my GI in full swing then. Sadly, in 1999, I lost my dear Mama on Christmas Eve afternoon, so my heart truly goes out to others in similar situations and those who are alone, newly diagnosed and/or sad and afraid. God's blessings to you for all that you do for all of us, Bonnie! Thanks for being you and for being such a positive inspiration! ♥ Headed up your way next week to Tanglewood to see all of the beautiful lights. :-D That place also inspires many beautiful quilts-in-the-makin'. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. There is never a perfect time for everyone. I've had fun with this even though I found the cutting a challenge. When I sew with my friend we make quilts for boys at risk, I am not allowed to do the cutting as I tend to read the numbers on the ruler incorrectly.And then nothing fits together. But I am doing okay with the Easy Angle AND starting to manage scraps---Thank you--I can hardly wait to see what this will look like. Sylvia in Beaumont TX

    ReplyDelete
  23. BLESS you Bonnie! I'm one that needs to have your MQ this time of year. Having lost my husband & mother a year apart and the kids grown and on their own, the holidays were very depressing until I found you 2 years ago. I follow EVERYTHING you do and I can't begin to tell you how thankful I am for you and all the women that participate in your posts, etc. Please don't change a thing. I also share your love of animals. My family is now 2 dogs and 2 cats!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Bonnie... you are awesome. Freely giving of yourself, your time and patterns. And now that I know the reason for the timing I am even more in awe of you. I never thought of it that way. Yes, it's a busy time of year for us all, but in my life... it's always busy! I know a couple ladies that are alone this time of year and make an extra effort to spend time with them... even if it's just lunch or grocery shopping!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Bonnie, I want to thank you for all you do for us. And, regarding those that whine there is an old saying that goes "They would gripe if you hung them with a new rope" I look forward to your blog every day.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Anonymous10:03 AM EST

    Celtic Solstice was my first MQ with you. Last year, on each Friday I printed out the clue and worked on cutting as I had time. I NEVER thought I would keep up with everyone else, but low and behold, by the time I went on our January retreat 2014 my blocks were done and I assembled my quilt then and there! My friends and I watched the transformation into Celtic Solstice and what a treat it was! I have looked forward to this year's GIMQ and am so happy to participate. Thank you ever so much! Gretchen in PA

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)