>>>>

Sunday, July 15, 2012

A Walk Through Sisters!

It was the most fabulous day yesterday!

We met up with Lori and her friends Gabe from Australia and Carol and Karen from Canada at the Antique booth at the show right off.

I took loads of pictures in the antique area --- for me that antique booth IS the show. I love the other quilts, and I get inspiration from them, but nothing like being able to touch and handle the works of women long gone.

I love looking at the fabrics and seeing if I can date them – some I come pretty close, some – well, maybe 5 to 10 years off, but I love imagining the clothes of that day and imagining what article of clothing that scrap and patch is left from!

I was really happy to meet up with Mavis and her friend who found me in the Antique area! SO FUN to meet people I’ve communicated with for years.

And now that I have talked about the antique booth, I realize that I haven’t edited those photos yet ----I’ve got a 4 hour layover in San Francisco tonight before catching my red-eye flight home ---so guess what I’ll be doing while I sit in a terminal late at night? Be looking for the antique quilts tomorrow.

I just wanted to share with you an overview of what we saw during our walk through town!

oregon2012 221

Of course, this is the quintessential SISTERS picture!

This is the side of the Stitchin’ Post building --- and this is where all the employee challenge quilts hang every year. I see that they’ve continued to keep the trees shorter here – one year the trees were hiding everything and someone decided that we needed a better view! I agree! I love seeing this sight every year!

oregon2012 199

This is the block challenge area! Randy and Lori both participated --- you purchase a kit of fabrics, and design a block using nothing BUT those fabrics ----

oregon2012 200

Here’s Sunbonnet Randy showing us her block!

oregon2012 205

Quilts are hung on every available building in all styles and colors!

oregon2012 206

Of course we are all enamored with quilts with little traditional blocks!

oregon2012 209

It’s only 9am at this point and town is already crowed with lookers! It’s the style of the buildings and the feel of the town and the beautiful weather that draws people from all over the world for this one Saturday in July.

oregon2012 210

Quilts hanging in the sun take on a stained glass appearance as we walk by. I’m not sure what caught my eye first, the chicken, or the feathered star!

oregon2012 211

This butterfly really caught my eye! I know my brain doesn’t work this way – I see things in triangles and squares, but this was SO beautiful hanging there!

oregon2012 213

Every where you turn, something catches your eye!

oregon2012 214

Can you feel the coolness of the shade?

oregon2012 216

It’s not easy to get pictures of quilts with crowds of people oohing and aahhing!

oregon2012 265

Bronco Billy’s is a Sisters Icon!

oregon2012 255

I loved this group of ladies walking down the street in their matching attire!

There are more photos to come, but I’m going to have to stop it here – I’m being called to breakfast and I don’t want to miss it!

Have a great Sunday, Everyone!

20 comments:

  1. Thanks for the great photos of Sisters! I love seeing the quilts and agree the antique ones hve a wonderful feeling of history. Looking forward to more photos...never miss a meal though :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been waiting all morning for these pictures. I keep forgetting you're many hours behind us though :) That show is on my short list!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for all the photos! Love the Butterfly quilt! If San Francisco airport was not so far (hour and half drive for me)---I would come and keep you company while you wait for your flight. (I'm in Sonoma county north of San Fran.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing! Getting to Sisters is on my bucket list. Until then I see the show through you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. beautiful - I would love to go some day - on a much smaller scale they do a show like this in St. Charles MO I think almost every year - I went to it once and loved it - would love to see a big one like this though!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing Sisters with all of us. It really looks beautiful. Something I hope to do someday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous12:16 PM EDT

    That butterfly is gorgeous! I'd have no clue how to do the curved lines, as I need straight lines, like triangles and squares.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing. I will probably never make to Sisters in July. Love all the beautiful quilts...such inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing. Can't wait to see more. Hope you have a safe and uneventful trip home.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh that was nice! I feel like I was there!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Bonnie, for sharing the show with your ardent fans. I have a friend who was at the show and I did get a phone picture and call from her while she was there.
    I hope one day to see the show in person.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for sharing. This is on my bucket list. Have you ever gone to the Airing of the Quilts in Tunkhannock, PA?? It's the first Saturday of October. All the quilts hang from big Victorian homes, porches, fences, and more. It's also the weekend of the Pennsylvania Invitational quilt show, and usually another show, as well. The whole town participates. Here's the link. It would be so cool to meet if you choose to go.

    http://airingofthequilts.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I never knew it was only one Sat. and always wonder how
    the quilts stood up to the elements, now I know :0)
    Lovely pictures I look forward to seeing more.
    Safe trip home Bonnie :0)

    Happy Sewing

    ReplyDelete
  15. It was my first time there and we enjoyed the day until the rain caused things to come down. One of the first things I spotted was an "Orcha Bay" mystery quilt hanging out there on the main drag.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awesome pics.....can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Bonnie, I was so thrilled to meet you (for the first ever time!)in the antique quilt area. I'm glad my friend Terry found you and then came to fetch me. I had the hardest time finding that area and no one seemed to know where it was. It was serendipity for sure!

    BTW, did you see the Orca Bay hanging in the show? I'm sure you couldn't miss it because it was very prominent in all its glory. I swear her blocks were smaller than the pattern. I'll bet it made you proud to see one of your quilt patterns on display! I know I was delighted to see it.

    Anyway, safe travels home on the red-eye. I got home about 2 hours ago and will be very happy to sleep in my own bed tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What fun! I love the reference to Sunbonnet Randy. Dang it, I'm only a couple of states away from Sisters and always hope to go, but haven't made it happen yet. Thanks for the vicarious visit. I look forward to more of your photos. Did you get a photo of you by the Orca Bay other attendees are mentioning?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Can the same quilt be displayed in more than 1 show at Sisters? That beautiful butterfly, is in a picture from last years show, so was wondering? Going up there is most deffently on my bucket list to do.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh!!! I was at Sisters too, with my quilting BFF and our hubbies! It was a great show!!! We ate lunch at Bronco BIlly's too! But, you didn't mention the thunder, lightning, and pouring rain and hail by 3:30 pm!!! We were poured on before we were able to see all the quilts! FIrst time it has rained on this show in 37 years!!!!

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)