>>>>

Monday, October 08, 2018

Nebraska! The Good Life!

20181007_123457

Singin’ in the rain, just singin’ in the rain!

I was met by Gerry and Helen right on time at the Omaha airport and whisked off for a round of sight seeing in the rain.

Now, a little bit of rain doesn’t bother me at all – I rather like it!  Especially with colorful umbrellas and no wind or extremely cold temps – it just feels like someone has turned the tap on AUTUMN and it is doing its best to turn from the 90 degree heat wave from last week, to mid October this week.

Aren’t these the cutest gals ever?  We became fast friends as we headed toward downtown Omaha where this was my view:

20181007_122404

Yep.  That’s Omaha in the rain!

Turn on the wipers, Gerry!

20181007_123614

Our destination?  The downtown Market Place!

20181007_123800

For brunch at Twisted Fork!

There are benefits to traveling in on a Sunday – the airports were not clogged with business people, traffic getting from the airport into downtown wasn’t bad and Sundays just have a very relaxed feeling about them.

With lunch-brunch out of the way, we headed over to the church (now empty of people from the day’s services) to set up for our next couple of days worth of workshops – and if we got that out of the way (which we did lickety split due to much help!) we could go catty-corner across the street and tour Gerry’s sweet little retreat house, Cordes Cottage!

20181007_153029

Gerry at the front door!

This cute little place was built in 1927 and is right next door to Gerry’s home so she gets to come play with the quilters and retreaters on a daily basis.  You just gotta KNOW I was keeping the questions coming as I embark on my own retreat hosting adventure.

20181007_151640

I was taking in every detail!

Vintage linens can be cut in half on the diagonal, and with a quick  rod-pocket seam become adorable valences!  I know I will use this idea in some of the bedroom windows at Quiltville Inn – it adds such a nice pretty touch!

20181007_151703

Exactly my plan! LOL!

20181007_152149

Cafe curtains on spring tension rods over simple blinds.

As I said – a softer look than just blinds by themselves.  Love it!  This downstairs bedroom has one double bed.

20181007_152923

This downstairs bedroom has two twins.

Cordes Cottage has room for 8 guests – with 2 bedrooms on the main floor, and a large loft upstairs.  There are 2 adorable bathrooms with vintage fixtures!

20181007_152311

Upstairs landing!!  So cute!  More ideas!

20181007_152332

2 of the vintage loft beds – and yes, Gerry made ALL of the quilts!

20181007_152349

More loft view – isn’t the floor gorgeous?

20181007_152359

I always loved being tucked in under the eaves!

20181007_152205

And the original “phone stand” in the wall!

Be still my heart!

20181007_153935

So charming from the back!

I love that old red brick chimney, don’t you?

20181007_153716

If you are anywhere near Papillion, just a short 5 minutes from Omaha – contact Gerry to arrange your own stay at Cordes Cottage.  

I know you will fall in love with it just as I did.

20181007_194229

My evening sewing station!

I am set to sew while I can – every moment I can – while on this trip.  Not only am I feeling the panic over String Frenzy being released in December, but my publisher has already asked if another book is on the schedule and could I have a manuscript turned in by January 2020?  Oh my word. 

I usually don’t really start doing the writing part until all the quilts are made and in my hands.  I only have 4 quilts ready for this next book down the pipeline, and I need 12. Can you feel the panic?

Surely, I can push that date back a little bit farther, but I do like a challenge, and it feels good to have something to really throw myself into.  And with a full 2019 calendar, what I really need to do is kit things up to sew on the road, and write at home. 

There will be MUCH sewing on the road over the next year!

And just like the proverbial elephant, one bite at a time should get me there…

20181007_203125

How appropriate is this??

I cut up a bunch of random neutrals as sashings for my basket blocks and look what came to the top of the pile – NEBRASKA!? 

It’s a sign!

IMG_20181008_063746_986000_wm

Quiltville Quote of the Day.

Thank you!  I think I will!

And I hope you will too!

Happy Monday, everyone!



11 comments:

  1. I spent many business trips in Omaha-ha. It's a fun city to be in during Halloween. Wasn't it fun to 'talk shop' with Gerry? I'm glad you got that chance. Notice the luggage stand and basket of towels at each bedside. What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I spy Nebraska Shop Hop fabric designed by the girls at Pat's Creative, Hemingford, NE. There is a fun story behind this fabric. I wish you weren't 400 miles from them so you could visit and find out all about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love those luggage stands at the foot of each bed with towels in a basket at the ready and how easy that will make the transition for each traveller. Otherwise they throw the suitcase on the bed! Brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have two vintage luggage stands in our guest room. They are so handy to have for guests! It is a great idea with the basket and towels! The Cordes Cottage is adorable! Love the wooden floors!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a charming little cottage! I used to live in Omaha! Need to go back soon. Have a wonderful time, looking forward to your posts from there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. An adorable cottage! I bet you got lots of ideas. We had a phone cubby like that in my childhood home.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for coming to Omaha, Bonnie. I had great time in class today and look forward to your lecture and trunk show tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a sweet place! How wonderful for you see and get more ideas. And those baskets ready on luggage stands is a real winner. Not so much in the linen closets and the luggage has a place to go. Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I grew up in Omaha love seeing the pictures. Need to come back for a visit.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those luggage stands and baskets with towels gave me ideas for my own guest rooms! I had been stacking the guest towels on a chair by the bed...where they remain, unused, while my poor guests root around for towels after their baths, confused, I guess. The basket makes it clear in a very cute way, and I know that I always love a luggage stand. Thanks for taking us along on your tour. What a charming place to stay!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sunday I was at the Joslyn museum in Omaha, they are having a quilt show & I found your Calendar book in the gift shop.

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)