>>>>

Thursday, October 11, 2018

From Omaha to Lincoln!

20181010_112826

Three of us loaded up into Gerry’s SUV and drove 45 minutes past fields of corn, and rambling pumpkin patches to meet up with Kay and pass me off for the next leg of this wild wild Nebraska quilt tour!

What a better place to move luggage from one vehicle to another!  The International Quilt Study Center in Lincoln, Nebraska!

Have you ever been?  It’s been several years since my last visit, and this time they had not only a display of Cheddar quilts from the Joanna S Rose collection (mu passion!) but a terrific gallery exhibit by Marti Michell, but a special exhibit on wood quilts by Wood Quilts by Laura Petrovich Cheney.  Another exhibit featured the eclectic collection of Mark Dunn of Moda fabrics, among others!


20181010_103715

Doesn’t this look like a string quilt?

It’s made of PENCILS!

20181010_103735

Info next to the “quilt.”

This one also captured my eye:

20181010_103800

Doesn’t it look like a string quilt?

It’s made with salvage wood left from the wreckage of Hurricane Sandy.

20181010_103806

The story touched me.

It was a wonderful exhibit and I love how artists can use any medium to express themselves through times of trial and heartbreak.  We can all relate to that!

20181010_110848

Our docent explaining to us the quilts in the Mark Dunn collection.

Many of the fabrics in these quilts have been reproduced by Moda with sample quilts displayed next to the originals.  It is kind of “Is it live, or is it Memorex??” for those over a certain age who remember the commercials of long ago!

20181010_110658

Left – original quilt.  Right – reproduction quilt.

20181010_111155

More favorites from the Mark Dunn collection.

20181010_111243

Getting up close and personal with some of the artier quilts.

20181010_113804

And finally – finally!  We were in the cheddar exhibit!

20181010_113203

So many quilts to captivate!

20181010_113228

Gorgeous applique pieces -

20181010_113533

To radiant feathered stars.

20181010_113553

Charming baskets -

20181010_113706

Swirling and whirling rising sun blocks!

20181010_113442

Incredible workmanship – each one.

I’ve had some people tell me that they just don’t LIKE orange or cheddar.  And I understand.  It’s not really a color that many can wear.  And when we are told as a small child that “oh dea, you just shouldn’t wear yellow or orange….”  That interprets to the understanding that we just don’t like it.

When I think of these quilters in the late 1800s FINALLY having a vibrant color for the decorative arts that was colorfast – (And cheddar really came only as a solid, not  often as a print – ) and it was not a color that anyone was making garments out of to WEAR, but there for their needlework – I can see why the quilters jumped in with reckless abandon.  

This was yard goods.  Not just scraps from making clothing.  It was one color they purchased just for their quilts that would be LEGENDARY!

20181010_113616

Oh, and it is! It is!

20181010_113827

There is no other color that can DO THIS!

I took so many photos that there is no way to include them all in this post – this is just a sampling of what we saw yesterday.

20181010_122014

Oh look!  I think I caught the ONE RAY OF SUNSHINE for this trip!

(It’s been raining constantly.)

20181010_121838

Posing for a quickie before heading to our cars!

As the Omaha contingency went one way, and Kay and I went another, I waved a fond farewell to these ladies I’ve gotten to know over the past few days.  And I’ll be seeing them again on my 3rd leg when I come back to the Omaha area to meet with the Cottonwood Quilters after my tine in Grand Island is over.

Kay and I had enough time to toodle around a Grand Island Antique mall before checking me into my hotel and heading to dinner – and I’ll save THAT for another time!

As it is – this needs a quick upload as today is another double duty day.  Cathedral Stars is our workshop up on deck, followed by my presentation being held in a local old style movie theatre!  This is going to be fun!

IMG_20181011_063429_196000_wm

Quiltville Quote of the Day!

You know what they say....Go on and kill them with kindness 'cause you just can't kill them! HA!

Have a terrific Thursday, folks!


18 comments:

  1. Looks like you are having a wonderful time! And, I really enjoyed learning about "cheddar" as I am one of those people who feels squeamish looking at it... unless it is cheese or mustard on a plate... anyhow.... What a lovely exhibit! Thanks for sharing! Safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree about the cheddar color, but seeing the quilts you posted how beautiful they are, I think I'm a convert! Can I get a Amen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All those cheddar quilts made me very happy! I have come to love cheddar, orange and yellow even though I used to avoid it. I think it makes a quilt "sing"! However, I'm kind of on the fence about the wood "quilts" because I'm a little traditional about what makes a quilt. I can understand the fiber art quilts, but if it's not even fiber, well, it could be great and be in a museum, but just not the International Quilt Study Center. There are so many real quilts that deserve to be displayed. Just my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the cheddar quilts!! I've been searching for cheddar fabrics for a long time..Heads up, manufacturers.. there are a lot of us who are looking! Thanks Bonnie for a great tour of the exhibit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. With just a little background information, my perception of cheddar completely changes (I had been one of the "I don't like..." people). And speaking of background--I love the gray art piece of the toesies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoyed your thoughts about cheddar, and the historical reasons that 19th Century quilters probably embraced it. Fascinating!

    You're right - we usually gravitate toward the colors we look best wearing. For years I didn't think I liked anything orange, gold, etc. But I've come to realize that the cool-toned blues and greens and turquoises I love best - the colors I also wear best - really come alive with some pops of warm shades to set them off. I can make friends in quilts w a color that would be unflattering if I tried to wear it. I've grown to love orange... maybe I need to get acquainted w cheddar and see if we can be friends. ;)

    In your photo w the rust & peach star painted on the floor and walls - I LOVE that quilt to the left. Zooming in, the block looks similar to your Wild & Goosey. The color palette says Starburst candy to me, and it's super fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the history lesson. I'm another quilter who never appreciated cheddar even though I love yellow, orange and gold. But now it makes sense why it was so popular with previous generations, especially after you take into account how few bright dyes were available and how dark homes were before electricity.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love seeing the Exhibits you get yourself off to, thanks for sharing
    Pat
    Burnaby,B.C.
    Canada

    ReplyDelete
  9. easy to see why they would buy the cheddar especially for quilts as it makes such a bold statement with any pattern...

    ReplyDelete
  10. My youngest brother and his wife held their reception in that theater where you're doing your next workshop. It was so much fun! Great place with a lot of character.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So interesting seeing the quilts and learning about the use of colour, it’s fascinating so pleased you were able to go thank you for sharing with us.
    I love the pencil quilt and think it would be a wonderful inspiration for a string quilt.
    Have a wonderful time on your next leg of your adventure.
    Love and quilty hugs
    Anne xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. My son lives just a few blocks from the study center, and I love it! My favorite exhibit was the Ken Burns exhibit! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k53Ez_VhaKo Be sure to watch this video about it on Youtube! It's amazing how he feels about quilts as a non-quilter. I love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I noticed in one pic that the ladies had their arms folded or behind their back. They're trying desperately not to touch.....lol....

    ReplyDelete
  14. Several years ago I purchased a whole line of cheddar and blue fabrics to make a quilt I fell in love with! I have to dig out the pattern this winter and get it done! I love the 2 colors together! Have a wonderful trip..thank you for your awesome blog!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Double swoon worthy pics. Thanks for the glorious eye candy.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Bonnie, your visit to IQSC was perfect with the cheddar exhibit. I have often said I like the "geometricity" of quilt design -- amply demonstrated by the wooden quilts in the exhibit. Love the pencils!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is really cool patch designs. I really love your blog. You always come up with new ideas. In fact, I’ve seen something like that after a long time.

    Thanks!
    homemade embroidered patches
    homemade back patches

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)