>>>>

Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Snow Day Sew Day in Lockport!

20180313_102152
What a day for a Snow Day Sew Day!

Only, it wasn’t snowing until about lunch time.  But when it comes down, that spring snow is heavy and wet, and suddenly Illinois became a beautiful snow globe of wonder – swirling and whirling while while 49 quilters and myself sewed up a plethora of 2 1/2’’ strips in our Sister’s Choice workshop!

Our event was hosted by the Heritage Quilters in Lockport, Illinois, and they pulled out ALL of the stops to bring this together.

We had folks joining us from all surrounding states from Tennessee to Wisconsin, Michigan, Indiana and beyond.

I always love it when a guild will open up to outside visitors – they bring a whole new dynamic to the occasion, and the excitement in the air is palpable!

20180313_155054

Add a kiddie pool full of scrap 2 1/2’’ strips and it’s a party!

20180313_221329

While some folks went with the full 10’’ block,

20180313_222139

We also had some mini action going on!

Oh, my goodness.  So cute when made with 1 1/2’’ strips instead of 2 1/2’’! 

I seriously need more time to sew.  This was just way too cute!

20180313_153823

And all of the blocks placed together was such a beautiful sight to behold!

Well done, everyone!

Sister's Choice is a free pattern, so go click the free patterns tab and start making up some blocks!

Click to play:

And our day wasn't over yet!  Pack it up, haul it out, we’ve got to head over to set up for the evening lecture!  But we had some of THIS to deal with:


Click to play:


And loads of THIS:



Yes, that is my name on the Lockport VFW sign.  How fun.  And very surreal!

Also very very interesting, and lending a festive air to our evening presentation:


20180313_191311

There is a full service BAR for your enjoyment!

Nothing like an evening adult beverage to make those guild announcements and meeting minutes go down smoothly.  LOL!

20180313_221439

Thank you, Heritage Quilters!

I was also the recipient of a wonderful memory of this visit – a framed vintage string star, with everyone’s signatures on it.  I think I’ll add a little string border to finish it off, and hang it in my studio.  Isn’t it fabulous??

It was a long fun-filled day, but my butt was dragging by the time I rolled back into my room near 10pm. 

Today we do it again, I’ve got 30 minutes to get this uploaded and pull myself together for this morning’s presentation with the Quilters Plus quilt guild, followed by a half-day Pineapple Blossom workshop.  Funny story on that one, I’ll tell you later.

IMG_20180314_062351_592000_wm

Quiltville Quote of the Day!

Did you know that comparison is the thief of joy? Stop comparing yourself to others and love yourself right where you are!

Have a wonderful Wednesday, my friends!


16 comments:

  1. Love that kiddie pool of scraps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the scrap pool!
    That 1.5" block makes me want to run into the sewing room right now and try one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the Quilt Quote reminder. So true and so needed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like that, comparison is the thief of joy. I have never heard that before. Thank you for that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the wonderful quote of the day. It means so much. You gave us another pearl a few years ago that is the same sentiment, “A flower does not compare itself to other flowers. It just blooms.” Thank you for being the sunshine that helps so many flowers to bloom.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My local modern quilt guild met in the community room of a Hyvee grocery store for a while. They had a restaurant and bar and encouraged us to buy food and drink and bring it into the meeting. it was great to have a glass of wine with our meetings!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A Kiddie Pool of scraps!!! How FUN! Snow and Rain don't damper those Quilters. Loved making Sister's Choice in 2014. I need to make another one.
    Happy PI Day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So what am I doing at work??????????? I want to be home sewing. Must be time to retire. Thanks Bonnie! You keep my days sane.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The kiddie pool with strips was a great idea! I love the Sister’s Choice block!

    ReplyDelete
  10. il Him Bonnie: I live in Champaign,IL. It is about two hours from Lockport. I knew you were coming but I take care of a 2 year old great grandson that keeps me young. There is a wonderful person named Joe that was a Bernina teacher to the local quilt stores for about 25 years. He lives in Lockport. I drove 2 hrs. recently for him to fix my 165 Bernina. The local person wanted $450 to repair my machine but Joe fixed it for half the cost and was able to repair other things that were needing fixed that I was not aware of. He works out of Thimble’s. Did you get to go to Thimbles when you were there? I know you are very busy so if you do not get a chance to answer back, just know that I love you and the wonderful things you do for others.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The first part was supposed to be Hi Bonnie: so much for the prompts for spell check.LOL

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looking forward to seeing you Friday night in Ottawa! Woot! Woot!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I could totally dive into that kiddie pool of strips - how fun! And I've been cutting some 1.5" strips lately, wondering what I'll do with them. That mini Sister's Choice looks like it might be a winner!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lived in Lockport, Illinois many moons ago. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. How tall are you anyway, Bonnie? You are towering over everybody in this picture! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. We had a great day with you in Lockport. It was a birthday I won't forget snow and all.

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)