>>>>

Tuesday, March 27, 2018

From Home to Des Moines!

20180326_190121This is the sweet little machine that greeted me when I reached my hotel room in Des Moines.

4 nights!  I’m here for 4 nights – and THREE of them will be free for stitching up a storm….well, a 4 block storm last night anyway.  It was a long travel day.

My flight wasn’t until noon, and everything went swimmingly, but it was one of those GET YOURSELF there by yourself kind of airport days – Jeff  has entered his busy season doing landscaping and lawn care and he was out the door on the job long before I left for the airport.

The Hubster is on business in New York – So me, Moby the van, and 3 huge suitcases and my backpack made it to the airport to park in long term parking while I am gone.

The struggle is real when it comes to three 50 lb rolling suitcases and a backpack – when a person only has two arms.

And where is a sky cap when you need one?  It’s called go grab a cart, come back to the car, load the bags, go to the terminal….I’m glad I gave myself extra time.

Yes, I can do this on my own – but I sure appreciate it when I don’t have to!

20180326_160540



The beginnings of hexie border number 4!

Will I still be stitching on this by December?  Who knows.  but my imagination has been working on what will replace this project when it is finally FINALLY done.  Or finally done in the PIECING stage as there is much hand quilting time still to come – stretched out as far as the eye can see.

20180326_190400


Moving furniture is necessary!

The desk in my room was facing a wall, my back to the TV.  That was just NOT going to work.  As I pulled the desk around so I could stitch and watch, I wondered what housekeeping would think when they walk in this morning.  

Do I care?  I’m sure they see it ALL, and it will all be back ship shape by the time I'm done, but this is quite cozy!  And at least this iron doesn’t have an auto-shut-off-must-unplug-and-replug-after-15-minutes-to-keep-working thing. 4 nights.  I could get a whole lot of stitching done here!

Including this morning.  My pick-up isn't until 10:30am Iowa time - it's a 2 lecture day.  One early afternoon, one evening.  As soon as this posts, I'm back at the machine!

26128036_1513162485.91_funddescription


Help for Amy & Axel.

I’m going to switch gears here a bit and let you know of something that has been on my heart.

Amy Gerlich who blogs at AmyScrapSpot.blogspot.com gave birth to a baby boy, Axel, on November 26, 2017.

Axel is a special needs baby and was born with Dandy Walker and hydrocephalus. He had surgery at Day 3 and then again at Day 10. Amy's sister has set up a GoFundMe page to help with recurring doctor's visits, 24-7 care and other expenses.

I know there are so MANY MANY worthy causes out there, all of them needing attention, but as a mother who lost her first child due to birth defects, I know the fight this mother is going through.

I made my pledge to help Amy & Axel today. Would you help too?


26128036_1521169987.8254_updates

4 month old Axel was just fitted for hearing aids!

Do what you can. If it is $5.00, fine. if it is $10.00, wonderful. If you can do $50.00 as I did, how quickly we could be of help to this young family. Our quilting community can do this.

Much love to you for your help. Click HERE.

I thank you from the bottom of my heart!

And now that I’ve reached THIS part of this post….I’m laughing because the Quote of the Day does NOT go with this post at all.  It’s nice when it dove-tails and segues with my daily post,  But today??  Well. heck.


20180327_054810

Quiltville Quote of the Day!

This is totally unrelated!!

And it doesn’t just refer to others as PEOPLE.  It can be situations. It can be ITEMS that you are holding on to.

Letting go isn’t easy, but oh – so freeing! 

Sometimes it is the “being in control” that we hang on to that is dragging us down.

As my friend Sally says, “Let go or be dragged!”

What will you let go of today?

Have a lovely Tuesday,every one! 



12 comments:

  1. Does Delta offer curbside bag check? Since you're through there so often and so polite and upbeat, I wonder if you could make friends with any of the agents that regularly work the curbside? If it's legal due to security,they might let you drop your bags and then go park. For me,that would be worth an extra generous tip and showing my Delta status card. Just a thought. Enjoy your time in Des Moines.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Axel is a superhero and you are a superstar. May you shine on for a very long time. You bring so much joy to so many. Lots of Love & blessings to you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this quote. I am starting 30 days of clean out things acquired from others that I don't use. It gives me another push and the OK to get rid of that stuff. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The most freeing thing I have ever done was to let go of 20 years of fabric stash, quilts, tops, and projects. My LAQ was happy to take anything as she knows lots of groups that do charity quilts. At first I would not take projects that had been started, but she said there were women who would love to have a project to finish (I am pretty good about documenting the next step, etc.)
    That was four years ago and the unfinished projects I kept that still aren’t finished will be heading her way soon.
    Queue song from Frozen: LET IT GO!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bless you for helping to bring Axel's plight to the quilting public. All they are asking for is travel money, and not very much, at that. Let’s hope the goal is finally reached, with your loving words.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for sharing Axel's story! I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. God Bless you! <3
    We appreciate you all!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is Uber or Lyft available in your town? Over the last year we have started using them for rides to and from the airport (Phoenix, AZ). The price is much less than long-term parking and service is great. The day before, we schedule ride to airport and are dropped at curbside check-in. Coming home, after we have our bags, we call for ride and never have to wait more than 5 minutes for a ride.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the set-up in your Hotel Room. Happy that you have a Loaner Featherweight to stitch on. Enjoy Iowa, I hope the weatherman brings you sunsh My Prayers are with you. Big Hugs from Far away Walla Walla.

    ReplyDelete
  9. OH NO! Do you know that GoFundMe takes a portion of the $!! ... Also, this money will considered income to Amy so she will have to pay taxes on the donations!! If there is possibly another way to help Amy & Axel, I think it would be better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know why I am showing as "Unknown", as everyone actually does know me as Kelley P. :o}

      Delete
    2. I think Go Fund Me is an excellent tool for,this. I can click and give easily, and not get derailed in the process with something else of interest taking my attention away!

      Delete
  10. A couple of years ago I loaded my sewing machine and a project to take while my granddaughter was at Mizzou Softball Camp. I set up the machine and while the girls were staying at Mizzou I sewed. One day I did take off to Hamilton for Missouri Star. The ladies who clean tried to come in while I was in the room so they could talk quilting and admire my project, that was laid out on the extra bed. LOL

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)