>>>>

Sunday, November 04, 2012

Smith Mountain Morning, WV Style!

33 women split between two rooms – and no power has blown with all the machines, irons, ott lights and etc!

And what a great way to ring in the “Fall Back” of the time change this morning--- we played hard yesterday, and this morning we got an extra hour to sleep in before Pineapple Crazy class starts this morning!  It’s a half day workshop – if everyone gets ONE pineapple block and one border block done, they’ll have all they need to know to finish the whole quilt on their own ---at some point!

Last night we did the “deboning a shirt” demo --- fun fun fun!

This is Loretta – she and her hubby came together and I’ve enjoyed getting to know them!  While Loretta sewed yesterday, her hubby was off to go check out some estate auctions and thrift shops….they have a lot of fun together searching out bargains, and we had a good time at dinner talking about vintage machines.

Loretta even brought her own chair for hours of power sewing – check out her handiwork:

PipestemWV2012 131

She covered her chair with selvages!

PipestemWV2012 132

Cute Cute Cute!

Maribeth is the powers that be for putting this retreat on, and she has spoiled us rotten!  She’s made each of us adorable chicken pincushions.  Be watching for those in the photos below --- many of the chickens just couldn’t help but pose to show off their colorful plumage!

She also gifted us all with beaded stilettos --- SO SO SO pretty!  And since I sliced my finger this last week and the band aid and tape make it hard to feel the nested seams, the stiletto has come in handy to hold the nested seams together as they are sewn.

Also VERY cool idea for quilts with many pieces:

PipestemWV2012 060

An expandable file holds all the pieces for the quilt where they are easy to find, keeping your workspace organized and free from clutter!  I thought this idea was brilliant!

Join in on our fun by viewing the photos below.


It’s been a great weekend and I’ve enjoyed every minute!  Looking forward to 2016 when I can come back again!

28 comments:

  1. Wow! Great blocks. But no fair. I want one of those chicken pincushions. And a purple Featherweight. And an autographed Bonnie Hunter block....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those chicken pin cusions are just too cute!! Lots of great color combinations on the quilt blocks too. Can tell a good time is being had by all!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. great blocks and cute pin cushions! is there a pattern for sale somewhere?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the fabrics and the pin cushions...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Bonnie, I love the color combinations that these quilters have chosen. They are absolutely beautiful! Great job ladies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. One more thing, can Maribeth share where she got the chicken pincushion pattern???

    ReplyDelete
  7. So many nice women in the quilting world!
    Pretty soon you'll have met them all....you are the traveling, quilting, QUEEN.

    Happy sewing

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! Thanks for sharing! How beautiful!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are so right, those chickens are adorable. Loved seeing all the Smith Mountain Stars.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved seeing all of the beautiful color combinations in the slide show. What a genius idea to have the retreat on a weekend that contains an extra hour!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great, now I want one of thos chickens and a stiletto. I could make my own but how nice to get them in class. What wonderful and thoughtful gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, my, I cannot believe all of the color combinations people came up with. Love that red and aqua. What is it about those two colors that just seem to gravitate toward one another? Beautiful piecing by everyone! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love those chickens! They are so cute! What gorgeous blocks the ladies made. I love the bold colors and I really like that red and green set. I am not a Christmas quilt person but that red and green combo was just gorgeous. Great work! K-

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great weekend and thanks for sharing the pictures. It's the NEXT best thing to actually BEING there!! Travel safe!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Loretta is a very pretty lady. She looks very Scottish.
    Looks like a great time!~ Fun little chicks. How sweet!~ That was a lot of work!~

    ReplyDelete
  16. Okay, I drooled over the batik and black block--sorry. I'll wipe it up. Several gorgeous combos, and lots of stylish chickens! : )

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for showing all the beautiful work that was taking place while I frittered away my time in Houston. Gotta get busy now and catch up. These ladies all seem to have a delightful sense of color. Their combinations are just delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The blocks look awesome and cute chickens! wish i were there with you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I feel very fortunate to have received a chicken. I'll ask Maribeth where she got the pattern and report back! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful is all I can say. chick is so cute too.

    ReplyDelete
  21. A beautiful bunch of blocks, great colors. Ditto on the chicken pin cushion....hoping for a tutorial:)

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a FUN FUN weekend this was! I was so hyped up on the excitement that I had trouble sleeping so instead I spent many hours in the sewing room chain stitching SMM!!

    I'm so grateful I was able to attend this workshop and FINALLY meet you, Bonnie! Your trunk show, tutorials, and tips/hints have motivated me to spend more time quilting!

    Already looking forward to 2016!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. The blocks are all just gorgeous! I <3 the one made in purple though, it's my favorite color!!! And the chicken pin cushions are absolutely adorable! I would love to make one if we knew where to find the pattern!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Such gorgeous blocks! I want one of those pincushions!!!!!! Just darling!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Those blocks are beautiful!! What fun!

    ReplyDelete
  26. That looks like great fun - and so nice to see my Aunt Loretta having a wonderful time! I never learned how to sew, but things like this make me think it would be a great skill to learn / hobby to have...

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great idea for using the expandable file folder, and what cute chicken pincushions! I'm a chicken fanatic and I NEED to make one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Sure looks like a lot of work got done and a lot of fun was had by all. The chicken pincushions are adorable! Thanks for all the wonderful photos!

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)