>>>>

Monday, November 21, 2011

Sad Day for Lancaster, PA!

I just got an email from my friend Nancy in Shippensburg, PA…with an article attached!

The Lancaster Quilt Museum that houses the Esprit collection of Amish quilts is closing!

I am severely bummed out. I’ve visited this museum several times and I love the inspiration that I find there!

I’ll never forget the time I had a personal tour by one of the docents….It was just amazing, and the lives of the people who made these quilts touched me so deeply!

If you have a chance to go visit the museum, do so…..the museum will cease regular daily operations at the end of the year and the building will be offered for sale.

The museum will be opened to groups on a reservation basis and for special events through the end of 2012.

Read more HERE!

Whhhhhaaa!!! I’m not a big fan of change, especially when something has been such a pilgrimage place for those of us in love with antique Amish Quilts!

quiltroom 009

Lisa came to play at Quiltville today!! We grabbed some Chinese take-out to go, had lunch at my dining room table, and then proceeded to load her two gift quilts in the machine and get them quilted! It was great to have her over…..and of course SHELBY too!

quiltroom 012

Hahahahahah! She is just full of spit and vinegar and knows it! She marches in like she owns the place and pulls all the strings!

quiltroom 011

Sadie wanted to be with us, but she knows to pretty much stay out of Shelby’s way --- she hunkered down on her rug ----as if to say “Oh, NO! Not HER again!!” They are so funny to watch together. Shelby only had one barking break-down --- and it was because I was petting Sadie! Evidently, I’ve been adopted by Shelby too, and that means that petting anyone else is off limits in her book!

quiltroom 014

I was to the point where I needed to trim up some square in a square type blocks for a project.and yet I couldn’t because the machine was running --- I use the table side of my long arm as my cutting spot, so I had to wait…..so instead, I pulled out the bin of recycled shirt strings and just started playing!

NO!! These have NOTHING to do with the Mystery! Just me playing with pieces and parts. Sometimes I just work on units brainlessly until I have a whole stack of them, and then I find somewhere they will go. It was just a PLAID kind of day for me!

I loved going back and visiting everyone who linked to our Mystery Monday Link Up! If you stopped by early on, you should go back and check it out! Links are still coming in ---So many have shown their part 1’s coming together -- I’m glad that we did it on the same day as the Design Wall Monday that Judy is running, that way people didn’t have to write two separate posts, one for each event…easy to just write one post and link both places, eh?

There were a couple people I had to remove – sorry guys! You didn’t read the rules! You need to link to the specific blog post, not just your whole blog. If you need help with that let me know in the future…if it’s linked just to your whole blog, it makes it too hard for people to find the post you are referring to as more posts are added above the one that had your “stuff” in it.

This is also a linky thing for MYSTERY PROGRESS ONLY at this point. I know you might have other projects to share, but for now, it’s not for your old UFOs or what you worked on last week…it’s just for Mystery parts.

And with that, I’m off to do some trimming down, and go snuggle up with that mountain of binding demanding my attention!

10 comments:

  1. Go Bonnie Go!!! You are such a wealth of information!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for another great day. Shelby and I LOVE coming over but I vote that next time we put our feet up, do some binding and watch an NCIS marathon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:28 PM EST

    Sad to hear the quilt museum is closing. I remember my mother visiting it when she came from California to see us in Washington DC. Joy in Wasilla AK

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:05 PM EST

    Yes, that is very sad that the Lancaster Quilt Museum is closing. I was on a bus tour to Pa. from Me. in 2004 and our group were the first to go in there. I have the newspaper clippings of our touring it. It was wonderful.
    The Link Up is interesting. I was afraid where I don't have a blog myself I wouldn't be able to see it but I just looked at each and every one of them. Great! Thanks.
    Maryella in Maine

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bonnie - So sorry to hear about the museum. What a shame!! Changing subjects - today I linked up to Judy with my ongoing UFO in progress and to your Orca Bay Mystery - two different projects - two different posts - two different links. If I did one post with both projects - would that be OK or is that a no-no? I usually have more than one thing going at a time - but don't want to break any rules. ;)) Thanks for the mystery, by the way. I did your "Christmas Lights" and absolutely loved it!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous11:57 PM EST

    Dang. I was just at the Quilt Museum in Lancaster the week before Halloween (visiting from Southern California). The docent told us that they were experiencing money problems -- I made a point of buying something in the gift shop, as did the other members of my party. What a loss this is. :(

    -Melinda Ebelhar

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm SOOOO SAD! I am in love with everything Amish, but haven't had a chance to visit Lancaster yet. The museum was totally on my bucket list. Dang, dang, dang! I'll have to see if they are going to open any time next summer, maybe I can plan a trip before the close completely....

    What a fun day with Lisa and Shelby. I'm glad you got to have some fun quilting and playing time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous8:43 AM EST

    Blog help! You all seem to be so techno savvy; what would be the easiest way to start a blog? Just so I can stay connected for the mystery? Any help is greatly appreciated.......TIA

    Jessica in Colorado (offlist - vaughn8047@msn.com)

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh nooooo, I never got to that museum to see the quilts. aaaghh. I better become a part of a special group so that I can see them next year! glad you're getting a chance to PLAY!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am one of the 8,500 who paid for entry this year. I went in May having wanted to visit for a few years duribg our (almost) annual trip to DC. (We live in the UK and I have wanted to visit Lancaster for a number of years and this was the year we finally made it)
    I was lucky to have an individual tour from a docent and she mentioned the funding issues so I bought something in the gift shop - I should have bought more!
    I do hope a way can be found to keep the quilts on display - they are so full of history..

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)