>>>>

Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Oklahoma Backroads, Georgia Style!

20160627_112805
This is a sign of a happy piecing quilter!

We met yesterday in Newnan, Georgia with the Common Threads Quilters and friends who traveled in from Alabama for a full and fun Oklahoma Backroads workshop!

It had been a while since I had brought this quilt quilt out to play, and I was reminded how easy it is, and what a fun design it makes!

This pattern is related to the Road to Oklahoma block, only we’ve called it BACK roads because we’ve reversed the value placement, using darks as the background, and lights as the star design that appears when we put blocks together.

It’s fun working with light fabrics on a dark background! I should do more of this!

And the ladies agreed with me.

20160627_113632

Waving from below!

Our workshop space was a church fellowship hall that had stairs going up to the second level, so I climbed stairs to get a view of the busy quilt activity below!

20160627_113641

Hello, down there!

In any large space such as this, the most important thing is access to electricity so the tables were grouped near outlets on the outside of the room giving us lots of space for cutting tables in the center.

20160627_113138

Irons were in the KITCHEN!

Moving the irons to a different circuit prevented the power from tripping…and it forced us to get OUT of our chairs and take a few steps in between lines of sewing yet another chain of pieces.

20160627_105444

Check out this Ford Deluxe!

Isn’t this machine a beauty?!  You know my passion for the 1950s Japanese imports and all of their auto-paint colors and shiny chrome accents.  This machine purred like a kitten, so quiet you could barely hear it!

IMG_3916

I had to give it a test run!

We set the seam allowance where it needed to be, and this machine was sewing perfect seams in no time!

20160627_153041

Our blocks laid out together!

20160627_153129

Such a fun day to play in Newnan, GA!

You'll find the free pattern to make your own Oklahoma Backroads quilt under the free patterns tab at the top of the blog.

Enjoy the rest of our photos in the slide show below:


Last evening we gathered for the June meeting of the Common Threads quilters and I was able to give my presentation on the Scrap User’s System to a full house!

20160627_202159

Quilts laid over pews for display!

sadie2

Prayers for Sadie, please.
This is my sweet girl Sadie. She is at the vet hospital right now with what appears to be a tumor on her side. She is having surgery this morning.. She also has a heart murmur, which may make surgery difficult.  This girl holds my heart, and at 10 years old I'm not ready to let her go yet. Please send all of the positive thoughts prayers and well wishes that you can!

The Hubster and son Jeff are home with her and will be taking care of her.  I am sure she will come home with the cone of shame.  I’ll let you know how it all goes as I learn more.  It’s hard being away when she is going through this.

On the upside, they are going to clean her teeth while she is under for the surgery. 

This morning I am leaving Newnan and making my way south to Albany Georgia where I’ll be with the Wire Grass Quilters next!

6_28_2016

Quiltville Quote of the Day!

Vintage quilt found in Kentucky.

Your life is 100% yours. Your opinion should matter more to you than the opinions of others who don't have to live within your skin.

Have a great Tuesday, everyone!


Click Here to like our Quiltville Friends Page on Facebook for more fun!

Click Here to join our sister group, Quiltville's Open Studio on Facebook, a place to Sew, Share & Grow!!

34 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:43 AM EDT

    Thoughts for Sadie. I always enjoy her pictures and your comments about her. Hope everything goes well

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sadie is such a sweetie! Hope all goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sending prayers for Sadie. I know you love her very much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My prayers are with you and Sadie this morning for a successful surgery and a speedy recovery. Safe travels.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sending positive vibes for a successful surgery for Sadie - our fur babies are such a part of our family and so close to our hearts. All the very best, Sadie girl.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Prayers for you to have a calm heart, being away from your baby. I'm sure she's in good hands. I wish we could go to a vet when we're sick....they're ususally much more compassionate than human doctors. Keep us posted as to her progress, and try to enjoy your class today. I'm sure the ladies will keep you in stitches...no pun intended!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so thankful that she can go through the surgery. I enjoy hearing about her so much. Prayers are being sent for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Continuing to pray for Sadie. Please keep us posted. I so enjoyed being in your classes this weekend. I'm tired, but it's a good kind of tired. Hope to take another class with you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous12:20 PM EDT

    Sending prayers and positive thoughts for Sadie and her family. I hope her tumor proves to be "nothing" and she will soon be healthy and strong with bright, shiny teeth as a bonus! I love seeing her pictures on your blog. May it be so for many more years.

    Brenda B in VA

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous12:36 PM EDT

    My prayers are with Sadie today! Like everyone I love seeing and hearing about her. My Tucker is the love of my life and he is also almost 11. He is a beagle who sniffs and eats anything he can get to. I leave nothing close to the counter edge or it will be Gone!!! Hang in there Sadie...Mama will be home soon!!! Hugs,Diane
    dkmurphy@longlines.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Best wishes and prayers for your Sadie. What is that gorgeous quilt on your book table in background. I haven't seen that one before. By the way thanks for the tips in your c and t column. Ellen in Arkansas.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love, gentle hugs and prayers for both you and Sadie Jane....

    HUGS HUGS HUGS,
    JulieinTN

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous1:48 PM EDT

    Prayers for Sadie and you both. My sweet girl, Emmie, (who "introduced" Quilt Cam back In September 2014), is nearly 13. She has a checkup soon, and even though she seems fine I am nervous about what I may learn. If only they could tell us about their ailments.

    Cindy in NC

    ReplyDelete
  14. Prayers for Sadie. It is hard to have a sick dog. You worry like you would with your kid. Hope her surgery & recovery goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thinking of you so far away, and sending lots of caring thoughts to you both, hoping Sadie will do well. I am sure every quilter with you this week will be full of support and hope and faith too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh boy, that I didn't expect. Prayers are with you for a good result. Can't beat cutie like Sadie. Love to you.
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  17. Prayers for Sadie....Hugs....Linda

    ReplyDelete
  18. So glad to hear that Sadie came through the surgery well. Hope she doesn't have to have her cone of shame too long. :)

    I see your Razzle Dazzle quilt hanging in your class. I've been working on mine in a baby quilt size, 3 x 4 color squares, with 6 background. I'm worried that I may not have enough contrast in my background so that the pinwheels show up, but, be that as it may, they're sewed now, and the baby shower is July 9, so I'm moving forward!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lots of prayers and positive thoughts going your way for Sadie. Am thinking of you and your family Bonnie. Sadie is such a sweet girl. I know how much she means to you. Hugs from Betsy at thecobbs2@Yahoo

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thoughts and prayers for Sophie!!!! Love to her and you and your family....

    ReplyDelete
  21. I said a fervent prayer for dear little Sadie as soon as I read your blog, and for you and your family. I've always had a very special place in my heart for dogs from the time I was a little girl, and have two little girl doggies sleeping under my desk as I write this. I'm praying for Sadie's complete recovery now that she is recuperating at home. I'm glad you are considering the soft donut collar instead of the cone if she needs one. They are so much more comfortable for the dog than the cone. I have them in two sizes and have used them for years for my little fur babies. God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Many prayers for Sadie.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Big prayers going up for Sadie. So very sorry that you can't be with her. Did you know instead of the lamp shade you can buy a ring that you blow up and it has a Velcro closing. It is nice and soft and they can see so much better. Our Moshe had many surgeries and now our Levi is using it when he needed it. It must be so hard for you not to be with Sadie at this time. G-D bless you.
    Yoka Bazilewich

    ReplyDelete
  24. Anonymous7:50 AM EDT

    Many prayers and good wishes for Sadie....
    Sandra B
    scb304@juno.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hope all goes well and Sadie is feeling better soon - sending lots of prayers and thoughts for good results with the surgery. Our pets are just as important as family.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Praying for Sadie. Our pets hold a special place in our hearts and family. Even harder on you, not being able to be there with her.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Susan Martin2:47 PM EDT

    Prayers for Sadie. Sadie has been a part of all our lives through you. Pets are such a wonderful part of a family.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Glad to hear that Sadie is doing good. You need to do what is good for you. Having your schedule full so far ahead sounds very stifling to me. I know you love to travel and teach, and it may be a dream come true for you, but sometimes our lives need less structure. There are a lot of designers that don't do anywhere as many freebies as you do. Charge for what you need to get paid for to make your life less hectic. I don't know of any big name quilter that is any more generous than you are. You have a lot of followers. What if 1% of these people (just a rough guess as to how many would buy) paid $10 for your mystery quilt? People know the quality of your designs and instructions. After 11 years it might be time to change gears.

    ReplyDelete
  29. So sad to hear of Sadie's trouble. Dogs get all kinds of tumors. Praying hers is benign and she will recover well. That photo of her looks like a studio portrait. When I first saw it I thought what a glamour queen she is... Love little Sadie and look forward to some good news about her.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Tons of Prayers and Hugs flying for Sadie. She is beautiful and healthy and will be OK. Hugs Ann K

    ReplyDelete
  31. Poor Sadie, I hope it all goes well and she is soon running around again as usual.
    Thinking of you, I know how worried you must be.
    Liz B. in England.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I just noticed the Razzle Dazzle quilt. So excited to be making one of my own on the Mediterranean cruise next month!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Bonnie, I have always wondered how you do all the travel & teaching. I saw Deb Luttrell about a week ago. I asked when you would be back. I told her I has no idea how you travel so much. She agreed that you work very hard. I'm thankful for you because I enjoy your posts. I'm thankful your husband shares you do willingly. I just returned from a two week trip with family. I was exhuasted. How you do this week's on end, well I have no idea. I used to boom in VA for the Falls Church Quilters Unlimited. I had to reschedule at times for the first meeting after summer break. I sought speakers & teachers for three years. Met many interesting people, learned how long those speaking engagements with trunk shows & class prep took. I also trained to teach. Yes, I could never make my living blogging as many ladies do. I'll be cheering you on & praying for those who work with you to be patient. I may not get to take your class in Mineola, but I will certainly be by to give you a hug. Tell those ladies to follow you on your blog. I agree it's tough to be away with a sick pet. I'm attached to mine & they travel with us. Hope things have improved in the last week. I'm a few weeks behind reading all the blogs I follow.

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)