>>>>

Thursday, May 19, 2016

Tulip Fields with the Pride of the Prairie Girls!

20160518_150953
Is there anything better than mothers and daughters stitching up the scraps together?  I don’t think so!

And I hope that I’ll still have the opportunity to be quiltin’ with my mama when she reaches 81 years young!

These two had their featherweights just a hummin’ all day long sewing up the string blocks.

I swear that pile kept GROWING instead of going down!

But what pretty blocks they were turning out!

20160518_150922

A rainbow of scraps!  Lovely!

Isn’t string piecing just the best thing ever?  We had so much variety going on in our workshop yesterday with the Pride of the Prairie Quilt guild from Plainfield.  We met at Roberts Sewing Center, and not only was our class day just delightful, but this shop is a NOT TO BE MISSED stop in Illinois. 

20160518_112738

Trimming blocks to size!

20160518_135756

Making top parts to go with bottom parts!

Oh, these blocks are so small and fun!

20160518_142533

So super cute!

The pattern for Tulip Fields is found in my book String Fling!

20160518_135911

Wait a minute!  This one got biggie sized!

Hey, it’s fine with me if you have your own vision of what you want to do with your quilt!  Just come and play in the fabric, and you can do it how you want it!  I’ll even help you pick out sashing!

20160518_140155

We found the perfect one for Marilyn!

20160518_150648

Such a great day, ladies!

20160518_150846

Well done!

20160518_150321

Not only does Roberts Sewing Center specialize in home machines, but they are the largest seller of reconditioned industrial machines and they have WONDERFUL upholstery classes in the shop – something I have always wanted to learn to do.  I had to go UPSTAIRS to see the BIG BEASTS!

20160518_155934

WOAH!

20160518_160056

I wanted to know what every machine did!

They all had different purposes, some for hemming, some for stitching leather and really tough stuff. Many looked ages old, with quite a history, and I wanted to know the back story behind each one.  This one I would have loved to have taken home with me.  Check this out:

20160518_160121

Can you see the foot?

20160518_160145

It’s a built in walking foot!

The left side of the foot makes a step, and then as the needle comes down, it goes right into a hole in the right side of the foot as the left half lifts up and moves forward. The two halves of the foot march across the fabric independently just like people feet do. Or one of those old fashioned walking wind up toys we used to play with as kids. So fun to watch.  I bet this would be an AMAZINGLY great binding machine!  I wonder what factory it was used in, who sat at this machine for hours a day, and when it was manufactured.

20160518_141147-1


I’m shown here holding my friend Doug Leko’s new book, Town Square.  So excited to see it here.

Okay, all the photos of the sewing center, the classes, and all other shenanigans are in the slide show below. There are even some great show and share quilts included. Enjoy!


Such a fun time!

20160518_173223-1

And of course we ended the day with this!

Turtle Sundae at Culvers!

Today is a much easier day for me, a lecture tonight, and free time this morning to take care of some computer work that needs doing.  I’ve got lunch and antique shop browsing with the guild girls – they are picking me up at 11am.  Perfect low key day.  Two more days of workshops to follow after that.

5_19_2016

Quiltville Quote of the Day!

Vintage bow tie quilt found in Kentucky by my friend Irene.

I find this to be so unbelievably and amazingly true. Following my passion has been the most amazing journey!

Happy Thursday, everyone!


Click Here to like our Quiltville Friends Page on Facebook for more fun!

Click Here to join our sister group, Quiltville's Open Studio on Facebook, a place to Sew, Share & Grow!!

7 comments:

  1. Lovely rainbow string blocks - inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wheeee! A marvelous post and I adored looking at all the industrials!! Thanks for sharing your journey on a daily basis. You indeed know your purpose by following your passion. Aren't we all fortunate to be along for the ride? Hugs, Allison in Plano, Texas USA

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow some lovely blocks there. Everyone looks as though they are having a whale of a time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:20 PM EDT

    That industrial, walking foot machine would probably not be too good for quilting tops. Or for piecing them. It probably spent its first life in a shoe shop, building shoes or boots. I have 2 that came from New England shoe shops I use to repair leather. They do not like thin material AT ALL. Needle is too big; doubt if you could put in finer one because of the exerted pressure. Each machine is specialized, and that is good. They, like us, have their preferences. I did enjoy the "trip", though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for sharing your adventures. I thought when I retired I would be able to do this, but didn't turn out that way. So now I can do it vicariously thru your posts. Thank you so much, I know it takes your time, but helps us who can't attend to feel a part of it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful picture show-the music was delightful! I really like my Tulip Fields quilt-it is so bright and cheerful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What is there about string piecing!!! I love it! Maybe the randomness? Not knowing exactly what the block will look like until it is done? No clue... but I can see these Tulips blocks in my future.

    Did you decide to take one of the industrial machines home? Just thinking about what they sewn over the years.. sewing machines are like old friends. Eat some more ice cream for me :)

    Smilies
    JulieinTN

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)