>>>>

Wednesday, May 18, 2016

A Mackinac Walkabout!

20160509_164720
What’s a girl to do on the sunniest warmest afternoon when workshop day is done and there is 2 1/2 hours before dinner time yet  to fill?

Put on your running shoes and hike around the island!

Take a jacket, those Northern Michigan breezes coming off of the water will still chill you in spite of the sun, but if you get up a good walking pace, you’ll soon find yourself shedding the jacket and tying around your waist as you explore various corners of the island, most within easy walking distance from the hotel.

Head NORTH up the hill from the carriage lane and you’ll find yourself at this crossroads telling you what is where and how far you need to go.

Take a RIGHT and wind your way past pastures, stables, island cottages, a fort or two, and on to the bike path through the trees.

20160509_170149

Put the jacket back on, it’s chilly in the shade!

20160509_171114

Marvel at the clear water through the hole in Arch Rock!

20160509_171157

Can you see the sign that says “Keep Off!”?

Not a problem! I’m not that adventurous!

20160509_171223

The shore beyond the arch.

There is something magical about this place. And being here at this moment in time by myself.  Just me and my thoughts.  Nature, beauty, timelessness.  One with all of the souls who had ever stood on this spot over the centuries and marveled at the majesty outstretched before them.  All at once you can feel that you’ve arrived at a significant point on the timeline of your life, and you also realize what a small dot in the whole history of this place that you are, one of countless that have stood here. 

20160509_171235

Looking south.

Everything we do in life creates ripples, like waves upon these shores.  There was no one else about.  Just the sound of the breeze in the trees and me and my thoughts.  What a great way to gain perspective!

20160509_172442

I followed the road along the shore, circling the island.

20160509_172939

I found the perfect quilt retreat dream house!

Check out the cliff above!

Yeah, right – dream on, Bonnie!

20160509_173352

Closer to town there were fields of daffodils to welcome me back.

20160509_175109-001

Lady Liberty watching over the harbor!

I also love taking photos of old buildings and other street scenes.  Too many to post in one long blog post, so they are in the slide show below.  Notice the trees are now just getting their buds. Enjoy!



These are the last of my Mackinac Island photos, until I go back to teach again at the 2019 Grand Hotel Needle Art Seminar.  I hope you will join me – put it on your calendars!

So here I am in Joliet, Illinois!  I flew yesterday into Chicago Midway, my first time to this airport.

20160517_133312-1

Luggage to the curb, a tough balancing act!

Even though everything is on wheels, there are not enough arms for 4 wheeling bags, so you still need a luggage cart.  Still, that $5.00 rental fee is cheaper than a chiropractor, even if it only gets you from baggage claim to the pick up lane outside. It’s worth it.

And that brings me up to now.  After a nap, dinner out with the guild girls and a good night’s sleep I’m up and ready for a Tulip Fields workshop from my book String Fling with the Pride of the Prairie Quilters.

5_18_2016

Quiltville Quote of the Day!

Vintage quilt found in North Carolina.

Sometimes it's hard to not take on the chaos of others. Do what you can to preserve your own peace. Protect your own happiness!  If you are feeling happy and content right here and right now, recognize that feeling and keep it with you all day long. Beware of things that steal your joy.

Have a wonderful Wednesday, everyone!


Click Here to like our Quiltville Friends Page on Facebook for more fun!

Click Here to join our sister group, Quiltville's Open Studio on Facebook, a place to Sew, Share & Grow!!

11 comments:

  1. Oh Miss Bonnie...TY from the bottom of my heart for taking me on this adventure by cyber...Many things keep me home bound...but I can still picture in my mind and walk with you as you describe the wind and the waves..the sun and the shadows..the focus of just what the area speaks to your Heart..and as I work on your lovely quilt designs I too can feel a part of your life adventures ... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you had some lone time. Some people think that other people are necessary for enjoyment. I love the serenity of being with just nature and my thoughts. Loved the slide show. In 2019 I will be 79 so I might not be able to be there with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Patricia Jones12:05 PM EDT

    Oh, dear Bonnie. Never apologize for the quantities of your visual posts to accompany your blog and wonderful travels. I know that I am not the only one who travels with you vicariously. Your slideshow was wonderful. Makes me wish I had the means to attend your next session in that wonderful old hotel. I fell I love with it when I saw the movie "Somewhere in Time" and have longed to visit it ever since. Thanks for giving me the next best thing. Maybe someday I'll be able to attend one of your workshops. Until then, I am content to watch your Quiltcam sessions, and enjoy your excursions and photos. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the words of wisdom!! It is so true and your pics are wonderful. Beautiful - just beautiful. I am so glad you get to go to these places, but I am also so very glad you share them with us. Thank-you for all you do. ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your quote today is definitely a keeper...and one to be reminded of each day. Mackinac Island looks like a wondrous place. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous10:27 PM EDT

    Dear Bonnie----It's as if you are here sometimes right beside me. Your thought for the day is so timely-- almost jaw dropingly so. I read your post immediately after canceling a lunch date with a couple of colleagues from a past life---to preserve my peace, my family and my soul. I'm holding onto the Rock more and more every day. Your visit to Mackinac Island was reminiscent of very special moments during 3 past visits--one by myself, one with my son when he was 10 years old and the last with my husband on our first anniversary. Your pictures of the Catholic church and Lady Liberty were so healing to me. Thank you very much for all you do -- your travels, feelings and pictures you share. I feel like you're a dear friend. I have a past special connection to Laurel Springs and the Bucks Mountain area. So glad to hear you plan a return visit to the island in a few years--if life treats us well, maybe we'll finally meet face to face. I've been enjoying your blog for several years now--there is no one else like YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Bonnie for the beautiful slide show. I can't travel across the pond now and I miss the beautiful scenery as well as all my beautiful friends. I can feel I am there when I follow your travels. Do you know the name of the music playing with the side show? It was so soothing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love walking around the island-one of my favorite things. When you get around the backside, you lose all of the crowd, and the splash of the waves on the shore are rejuvenating.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Carol G.11:20 AM EDT

    I wonder how many people read your blogs about Mackinac Island and are unaware that there are no automobiles there. You arrive by ferry. Everything is by horse drawn carriage, bicycle or walking. I was surprised by this the first time I visited. Many of your readers from around the world may not know this. I just think it is a very interesting fact. I read your blogs first thing in the morning to see what place your are visiting. I am visiting all around the United States through you. Thank you for the adventures and history lessons.

    ReplyDelete
  10. so true for the quote of the day. Though sometimes hard to put into action. Thanks for the journey.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That hole in Arch Rock is cool and those daffodils are really pretty. That did look like a really cool place to have a quilt retreat below a the cliff.
    You had a great walk. Thanks for taking us with you

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)