>>>>

Sunday, May 15, 2016

Oh, That H Quilt!

20160514_104508
There has been a lot of this going on since I arrived at the cabin on Friday afternoon.

I just needed to add the “completer” border to the outside edge of the H quilt so that the design from the center went all the way to the edge.

I did some rearranging of the sewing nook at the cabin so that the long table was to my left, and this allowed me to sew with a machine in a cabinet facing the window.  This gave me a nice FLAT surface for attaching borders to a large quilt top.  Less edges to catch on.  Easier moving of the quilt top as the borders were applied.

You may not have seen this machine before, it’s a Wheeler,1950s, made in Japan.  I had bought it from my friend Diane a few years back, and it is finally functional, and I brought it up here to give it a good work out.

18c43e4f-42e7-48a7-9cfb-948bd1aeee96

I love how boxy he is!

20160514_105808

Adding those last borders, see how they complete the pattern?

20160514_102817

Enjoying the fresh air through open windows!

20160514_114812

Big enough for the queen guest bed at the cabin!

20160515_075031

Sadie during photo op!

Oh, Sadie!

Now for those of you who don’t WANT an H in your quilt – there WILL be an alternate quilt in this pattern.  I am working on assembling the top for a baby quilt/wall quilt variation this weekend!

20160514_205734

Oh, yes, these are fun!

These are the pinwheels I started sewing in my room at the Grand Hotel last week!  They’ve been assembled, and sashings are going on!  I’ll have to make a few more sashings, I’m just a bit short on what I need, but this should be a top before I leave for home tomorrow.

20160514_201802-1

Weeeee!

All I did was switch out the H bocks for pinwheels, and I love the look. 

This pattern will include the queen sized H quilt, and the baby sized pinwheel quilt in one digital download pattern, but it’s going to be a bit before I get both quilts quilted, binding and labels on and pattern written, so please be patient with me.  I leave for Illinois on Tuesday –I am going as fast as I can go.  Look for this pattern as soon as I can get it done.

I decided to do this as a digital download as the blocks are odd sized so they won’t fit my Quiltmaker Column or 100 blocks issues.  It takes too long to save it for a future book.  So digital it will be.

And lest you think all I did was sew all day – there was a blissful 3 hour nap in the afternoon!  ((I think I needed it.))

20160514_162546

Mountain Laurel!

Sadie and I took a couple of short walks because it was incredibly windy – it even blew the Quiltville flag OFF the front porch and to the ground.  But I did get to see these in bloom, and they weren’t in bloom the last time I was up here.

5_15_2016

Quiltville Quote of the Day!

Words may say one thing, but tone of voice says more than words ever could. Be careful HOW you say something. Tone of voice can hurt or heal. What did yours do today?

Pineapple Blossom quilt from the free patterns tab!

Have a lovely Sunday, everyone!


Click Here to like our Quiltville Friends Page on Facebook for more fun!

Click Here to join our sister group, Quiltville's Open Studio on Facebook, a place to Sew, Share & Grow!!

17 comments:

  1. This is such a fun new quilt! The alternate is also wonderful. I'm hoping to land that last spot on your Alaskan cruise :-) They seem to be having trouble figuring out a cost though so I have to wait till a manager or someone gets back in the country to let them book me. Hope it works out. I'd love to see Alaska and finally get to meet you too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of good stuff in your post. First, the Wheeler sewing machine!! How cool is that? Second, your set up to apply borders comfortably. Which looks great and completes your quilt wonderfully. Third, looking forward to raiding my pinwheels box when the digital pattern is available (at your pace/YOUR schedule). Lovely blooming plant on your walks with Sadie (such the poser!) and naps, glorious naps. My Nana said to me when I was oh so young . . . "Someday you will want to take a nap and can't because you have too much to be responsible for like me!" I relish my Spring naps with the window open and the breeze blowing in. Lovely Sunday to you my friend, Allison in Plano, Texas USA

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh! AND the quote was marvelous. Wrote it on a piece of paper to leave by the computer for hubby to see. We'll see how that goes over. I always tell him it is his TONE. Maybe, with your help, he will understand what I'm trying to convey. Thank you and hugs, Allison in Plano, Texas USA

    ReplyDelete
  4. That "H" quilt is certainly fresh and fun -- and I love Sadie's clear smile of approval!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's amazing to see the alternate blocks in there. The sashing is just right! Have a nice Sunday Nap. I love mine!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's amazing to see the alternate blocks in there. The sashing is just right! Have a nice Sunday Nap. I love mine!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sadie Jane looks like she asking if it is ok to sit on Mommy's newest quilt :)...

    Your H=Hunter quilt is a dazzler. I'd not have thought to make this one using the black and white. Yet that is exactly what makes the quilt POP! Good job :)

    Give Sadie a warm East TN hug for me...smilies
    JulieinTN

    ReplyDelete
  8. Quilt is fabulous but seeing that 'H' is the ex-husband's initial, don't think the current hubby would appreciate cuddled up under an 'H'quilt. But, I love, love, love the alternative pinwheels. Reminds me of a children's playground with constant movement. Great job Bonnie!
    Finally getting a little sun here in Maryland and enjoying the rhododendrons and irises in full bloom.
    Sharon - Crownsville, MD.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I didn't know there was such a thing as a "Wheeler" sewing machine. I must be on the lookout! Are they rare?

    Your "H" quilt turned out beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have that same ikea bed! Mine is sporting the grand illusion mystery quilt. It's in our guest room, aka the Ikea room. Love your H quilt, it's so happy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That Sadie girl is so photogenic!

    Great quilt... The pinwheel version is a fun, wonderful design for a kid's room!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love love love the H quilt! What a spectacular design. And I guess everyone in the world has a phone charger cord laying on the floor next to their bed. lol I know I do! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my goodness!!!! the "H" quilt is gorgeous; I love the black-n-white work. Bonnie, you are amazing!!!
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm glad for the digital pattern option. I like it,thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so excited about the new pattern. The H squares are perfect for our family. Love the baby option too. I believe we can be patient! Its always fun to have something to look foward to! ♡

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so excited about the new pattern. The H squares are perfect for our family. Love the baby option too. I believe we can be patient! Its always fun to have something to look foward to! ♡

    ReplyDelete
  17. I definitely want the pattern. SWEET!

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)