>>>>

Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Strip Twist!

Strip Twist!

(Click HERE for printer-friendly version)

  (Click here for instructions in SWEDISH! Thank You Karin!)


Twin Size in brights!



Approx 60 X76 including borders.

Make this fast and easy strip quilt for your favorite charity or loved one
All from 2.5" strips!

This block is easier than it looks and you only need 12 blocks to finish this lap quilt.

This is my 2.5" strip bin!


I actually have 2 of these, and they are chock full of scraps that I have cut down to 2.5" strips. This bin comes in really handy for projects like this one!


For this quilt you will need strips in lights and darks, 2.5" wide, and I suggest at least 18" long. You will be cutting the strip sets into 8.5" sub sections, And you can get 4 block quarters from a strip set that is 18" long to begin with. 

Cutting strips from FQ's works really well, or you can use fabric yardage and REALLY long strips. The shortest your strips can be is 9". You just have to sew more strip sets together to get the number of block quarters you need to sew your blocks.

Let's begin!



Each "strip set" is made with 2 light strips alternating with 2 dark strips. I sew a light to a dark twice, press the seams towards the dark, and then put one set of two on top of the other set of two with right sides together. Press the center seam also towards the dark.  

Your strip set should measure 8 1/2'' tall.  Adjust seam as needed for this result.



You need TWO strip sets of 4 strips each (shown above) before you can start cutting block sections.

I try to vary the colors between the two sets, and go for good contrast.



This step is IMPORTANT!! Always lay your bottom set with the dark towards you, and the top set with the lights on top of darks/darks on top of lights with RIGHT SIDES TOGETHER.



Square off one end of the layered strip sets, and sub-cut into 8.5" squares. Now this step is IMPORTANT too. Every set of blocks you make, you want to make sure that your diagonal cut goes the same direction. I am right handed, so I cut from the bottom right of the layered squares to the top left.



Now take these layered triangles to your machine and stitch down the diagonal edge with a 1/4" seam. Because you pressed all the seams towards the dark and the two layers are lights on darks, your seams will butt perfectly! It is easy to get them to match as you sew the seams. Press your block quarters open.



The first pic shows how to lay out the block quarters, the second pic shows how they look sewn together!

Do you see how the upper left and the bottom right block quarter have the tiny triangles pointing IN? The bottom left and upper right have the tiny triangles pointing OUT. This keeps the blocks spinning and adds a lot of motion to the quilt.


Here are 3 blocks set side by side.

Most of the motion in the quilt comes when you set blocks TOGETHER. It starts to look like the "main" block is set on point inside the quilt!


I make a bunch of strip sets and different block quarters so that I have a lot of variety when putting the block quarters together into blocks.


I would suggest making all the block quarters first, and then mix and match them into blocks as above, and that would help make sure that your colors are distributed through the quilt the way you want.


If you are really up for a challenge, try this with 2" strips! You would cut your strip sets into 6.5" squares, and then cut THOSE into the triangles. The method is the same, but you will end up with smaller blocks, lots more repeats, lots more scrappy motion!



After sewing the 48 block quarters into the 12 full blocks, arrange blocks in a manner pleasing to you, and stitch into rows. Sew rows together to complete quilt top center.

I framed this quilt with a 2" cut inner border (1.5" finished) and a 5" cut outer border.

For help attaching borders, visit my border hints page!

12 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:36 PM EST

    you have inspired me beyond my imagination ,i cant wait to get started ,thank you ,thank you ,,,debbie ingram

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. catwings5:36 PM EDT

      I know I was savings my 2 1/2 inch strips for this.LOL Thank You.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous6:20 AM EDT

    Have been trying to decide on a pattern to use "leftovers", the search just ended. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. great quilt thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. great quilt thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This can be very modern givev the right colors...something a teenaged boy would like.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made this top this past week; it's been donated to our guild's community service program. There"s a pic on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Could I possibly use a layer cake to make this pattern? I know it would be more work, but I have a lot of layer cakes in my stash and this this is a very neat pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this quilt - been looking for just the right pattern for my "yellow theme" quilt with accompanying scrappy colors. I wanted something simple but still very interesting. Can't wait to get started!
    Also, what is the quilt pattern for the quilt on you blog header? I would love to know - it's GORGEOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I found this pattern on Sewnhenge. I am pinning it because I really want to try it. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you Bonnie for sharing your inspiration and wisdom of creativity! I found this pattern being sold by another site and here you are giving it to us to find our own creativity rather than make a buck! THANK YOU! I think you are just great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a great quilt.i was thinking as long as the strips are a little longer than 8.5 you could use shorter bits of 2.5 strips! I have tons of FQ parts I want use up. Odds and ends! Thanks for all you do for the quilting world. For us in rural communities, online communities are such help and inspiration and fellowship!

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)